[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does the fine gentoomen of /g/ think of hackintosh? have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: hackintosh-logo-big.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh-logo-big.jpg
255 KB, 1600x1548
what does the fine gentoomen of /g/ think of hackintosh?

have you tried it?
whats your experience?
thinking about trying it out
>>
>build good computer
>run a shit OS on it
>>
>>53833783
Why'd you want to run Windows?
>>
>>53833783
'its shit'

-/g/
>>
>wanting hfs+ on your machine

I guess people actually have a need for osx but thats their problem
>>
im gonna be real honest.
i just want my computer to look as aesthetic as possible, just wanna do web dev but i really want photoshop, illustrator and maybe after effects.

already have a few good computers lying around home, why not install hackintosh?
>>
>>53833817
>been using osx for over ten years
>never had an issue with data loss
>>
>>53833800
>implying that post said anything about Windows
awful bait
>>
i hear that hackintosh is a lot of maintenance. the opposite of It Jest Werks.
>>
>>53833950
Only if you have parts that are pretty much incompatible.
>>
>>53833755
>Don't get the semi decent hardware/build quality of macbooks
>Get the shitty operating system
wew lad
>>
>>53833755

OpenGL in OSX is slow a fuck, Finder is a shit, HFS+ is a shit...
>>
>>53833894
well it said shit os. windows is a shit os
>>
>>53833817
I appreciate that Linus has posted a long post on G+ about why HFS is designed and architected so poorly, but can you point to some aspect of use that would make these shortcomings apparent? I see lots of zealots on both sides picking shit like this and turning it into the flag that they rally around as the leading reason not to use a thing, and then you try to dig into how much of an impact this has on use or day to day life and it turns out to be functionally inconsequential.

So have there been reports of lost data or corruption or any issue like that?

>>53833950
This might be true if you buy the wrong components - and they'd have to be core errors, like an AMD CPU or something. If you go to the tonymac-whatever site and buy generally according to their guidelines, getting OS X up and running takes about as much time as getting Ubuntu running (I worked tech support at my undergrad university and did this regularly). My experience has been that OS X takes about as much time to get up and running as a user-friendly Linux distribution, and arguably takes less time than Windows 7 did (that was the last version of Windows I used with any regularity).

As for OP, I have a hackintosh and a rMBP. The hackintosh is marginally less stable, but that's mostly because I have a GTX 970 (which I have so I can drive a few 4k monitors properly). Even with that hitch, my hackintosh has run smoothly with the only downtime being for major OS updates that demand it.
>>
>>53833755
> tried
yes
> my experience, third year studying software engineering at an engineering school
> experience
it was a train wreck to get it to work
I only needed it for iOS development
not worth my time and effort
Xcode sucks
will remove once I finish class
>recommends
just use Windows or Linux if you need to satisfy some autistic desire but Mac OS X flat out is garbage compared to most of the Linux community
>>
>>53833755
Why go through the effort. Between Linux and Windows I run everything I want.
>>
>>53835056
I agree with this sentiment if you already have a computer. If you're buying components now (or if you coincidentally already have compatible parts), then the marginal cost on buying the right components should be low.

Most people are going to buy an Intel CPU. You have lots of good options between motherboards, and you're not dramatically limiting your good options if you filter to stuff that works in OS X. RAM, HDD, case, etc... don't really matter as long as they all literally fit together (in other words, don't go buying a microATX case and try to fit an ATX motherboard in it). Stuff like that.

The biggest issue the be conscious of is the motherboard. If you're buying that now, go filter to the list of motherboards that fit your needs. I'd be surprised if you don't see any OS X-compatible motherboards (unless your needs are really out there, like you need something legacy).
>>
>>53834712
You are a faggot. Does that mean you are the only faggot that exists?
>>
>>53835165
let's try not to be dickholes in this thread.
>>
If you have hardware that doesn't cause you to have an abundant amount of issues then it's okay
>>
>>53833755
Hackintosh is a buggy mess. If I wanted to spend all day tinkering with my computer, I'd just use Linux.
>>
>>53835500
Several posts have already replied to this issue; if you have incompatible hardware, then you're in for a rough ride. If you have compatible hardware, it'll be easy. If you're buying components, it basically costs nothing to get components that leave the door open to go hackintosh
>>
>>53833755
If you have compatible hardware it's great.

>>53833783
>run the least-shit OS on it
FTFY

>>53833817
It seems like apple has worked around it pretty well with corestorage. The default OSX install these days is an encrypted volume on a logical drive. Also has "fusion drive" which is pretty good too, and dead easy to set up.

>>53835561
Seems like people have trouble understanding this
>>
>>53833755
waste of time but funner than most things. that probably says something about where im at on the autism spectrum
>>
>>53834994
>3rd year se
>3 years
>still cant figure out how to use 'it just werks' OS
humanities might be a better fit, friendo
>>
>>53833874
loonix is extra a e s t h e t i c
>>
>make hackintosh with an old pc
>update it

Fuc.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.