[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>install xubuntu >need to change keyboard layout -- there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
>install xubuntu

>need to change keyboard layout -- there is command in the settings to do it, not under keyboard, nor under languages, turns out you need to download and install the whole language scheme

>need to create a link to a network folder on the desktop -- "cannot create link because source is not local"

>need to autologin the only user on the machine -- there is no autologin option >inb4 security, fuck off it's my machine

'nuff said, get me back to 7 pleaz

tl;dr linux is the usual elitist basement dweller piece of crap every time I try it, year after year
>>
>>53828969
doesn't xfce have a search function?
the keyboard thing works fine in the other *buntus.
Even if everything else fails, you could just use xmodmap. (I use it anyway so I can get a better layout for my own needs)
>>
>>53828969
All of these issues are not real and completely possible.

You can go back to Windows 7 and delete this thread. Nobody will miss you because you'll end up going back to >>>/v/ and we won't need to read your shitposts
>>
>>53828969
You configure the keyboard settings during installation, doofus.
Not being able to map to a location is a network issue, not the OS.
And finally:
>being too lazy to type a password

Xubuntu is almost perfect for Linux newbs. Everything just works. Being too heavy on the CPU is its only downside against Lubuntu.
>>
>>53829141
miss me? is linux like a club or something? lol this guy
>>
>>53829176
I guess my post went right over your head and you just latched onto the first thing that you could make some sense of
>>
Do you have a mailing list or a newsletter I can sign up to? Just so I don't miss your 2017 Linux review.
>>
>>53829167
1) i installed through the vmware installer, which skipped the keyboard thing -- also whatever, people switch keyboards or use different layouts on the same machine

2) location is perfectly reachable in file manager, just will not be linked or mapped on the desktop in any obvious way. the complicated ways can be showed up a basement dweller's ass

3) fuck passwords, I don't want to type passwords over and over on my own machine
>>
>>53829236
>Literally and unironically posting from a mobile device.

Kill self
>>
>>53829270
what mobile device? lol this other guy
>>
>>53829297
You sound like you're just about 15
>>
File: xubuntu thing.png (233 KB, 1183x722) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu thing.png
233 KB, 1183x722
Furthermore, my autologin works fine.

Also my compose key works, even though that window says nothing about it...
>>
> winfags DoS'ing xubuntu download servers
>>
>>53829236
shortcut and link are completely different things in Linux
in Windows too by the way
>>
>>53829477
I don't care how's it called, all I needed was an icon on the desktop taking me to a network source with a double click...
>>
>>53829578
>I don't want to know how I can do it, I just want to do it
sorry to ruin your fantasies but magic doesn't exist
>>
>>53829603
>shortcut to a network folder

>magic
>>
>>53829619
the magic was being able to know how to do something without knowing how to do it
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-02_21-25-07.png (65 KB, 781x585) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-02_21-25-07.png
65 KB, 781x585
>>53828969
>>53829236

Settings Manager > Keyboard > Layout

You're a fucking mong OP.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-02_21-28-42.png (45 KB, 586x572) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-02_21-28-42.png
45 KB, 586x572
>>53829705
Also, your network shares will show up on the desktop if you have network shares ticked in pic related. Again - you're fucking retarded.
>>
File: smoke em out.jpg (42 KB, 468x481) Image search: [Google]
smoke em out.jpg
42 KB, 468x481
>>53829578
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link
>>
seeing as this thread is kind of about xubuntu I'll ask here

I'm planning on going xubuntu full time on my desktop, I had it for a semester in my laptop and really liked it, so I'm just hoping for a weekend where I'm not too tired and I'll do it

any tips? I'm already kind of used to linux, just things like settings that I really should change or something
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.