[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reasons to use Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18
File: there-are-none.png (127 KB, 401x305) Image search: [Google]
there-are-none.png
127 KB, 401x305
Please help...
>>
impressing fellow /g/ anons
>>
i like it
thats why
>>
if you are a hipster you should use linux
>>
>>53828509
live free or die
>>
The UNIX shell and terminal utilities

Oh wait, both OS X and now Windows have those.
>>
>>53828509
Free software. You can do what you want with it.
Say the motherboard on your laptop dies, you can move the ssd to another laptop, worst case you have to edit a single file, and then you can boot on the new laptop.
There is no drm or other restrictions that prevent this, because it is your system.
Easier to understand, easier to fix.
The more time you put into the system, the better it becomes.
You can automate a lot of things so you can do your work faster.
Its fun.
>>
File: lol.jpg (74 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
74 KB, 640x480
>>53828709
>easier to understand
>easier to fix
>fun
>>
Because Linux gets you laid.

Get up in the morning. Brush your teeth. Shave. Dress somewhat okay. Go to the balcony and triple back-flip into your Ferrari (because you earn all that money being a Linux pro). Go to the nearest coffee shop. Enter. All eyes are on you since you look sexy with that vim cheat sheet stretched out on your well defined pecks.
Drop your pimped out ThinkPad on the table. The barista will come to you. She tells her manager she doesn't want you hacking their WEP secured wifi and rickrolling the whole cafe until they served you at the table. In reality, she just wants the d. Fire up your Arch (because real men live on the bleeding edge). Look at the kid by the window blocking the sun, with three empty cups next to him, waiting for his W8 to load. He knows better, he will feel the killing intent and leave immediately.
Look back at your screen. Flip through your workspaces with preconfiged terminal windows neatly tiled next to each other. Start working on your weekend project. DON'T TOUCH THE MOUSE. Women will know what's up. They will look at your nimble fingers and you'll notice the coffee smell gradually fade against the new wet pussy aroma. You're done then, those 300 loc you typed will be enough for today and your coffee has just arrived. Make the last commit. pull rebase push.
Switch to the browser screen, you could use Pentadactyl but that's not what you're here for. Give the ClitMouse a whirl. Pretend you didn't hear someone faint in the corner.
Wait for that chick with a frozen up macbook to approach. Take it from her hands, she's not making any sense explaining what's wrong anyway. Fire up the terminal and use your ninja skills to fix it in a sec. Stand up, take out your android phone. She'll blurt out her number as if by instinct. You took out your phone to change the song to something sexy on the mpd you'd secretly installed on cafe's computer. Give the chick a whirl. Take her back to your car. Drive into the sunset.
>>
>>53828783
Some people find Unix OSes as a nice and fun hobby. Right now I'm tinkering with NetBSD on my laptop for fun in my spare time.
>>
>>53828783
those statements are true, although the last one is my personal opinion.
Every system can run into problems, and if you understand what is going on, you can fix it if you need to.
>>
>>53828509
2 main reason and 1 bonus reason

I want a Unix-like development environment so I can focus in what I enjoy and tools like Cygwin (while very good) just don't cut it and are not as comfy as GNU/Linux.

I'm too poor to buy a Mac.

Bonus reason: Windows 10 is shit in every way
>>
File: legit.jpg (90 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
legit.jpg
90 KB, 400x400
>>53828864
>>
>>53828509
the desire to waste your life away fixing software problems so not to focus on the misery your life is
>>
>>53828509
Because I like it. What is up with all the anti-linux threads on this board lately anyway. Don't you have anything better to do then throw a hissy fit over what OS other people use?
>>
>>53829019
/thread
>>
>>53828509
It makes me feel smarter and better than windows users.

As an added bonus, it makes me look like a 1337 h4ck3r when I use my laptop in public.
>>
>>53829034
Seems to me that Linux users are the ones that care the most about what OS other people use. They're always trying to shove that shit down your throat.
>>
>>53829064
they're like the vegans of the tech world

how can you tell someone uses linux? don't worry, they'll tell you.
>>
File: linux.png (25 KB, 486x908) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
25 KB, 486x908
Linuxcucks
>>
>>53829093
>Learn to code
>>
>>53829064
This. The smug Mac user meme is nothing compared to the autistic Linux ricers who judge people for what OS they use in a time when 95% of what people do on computers is accomplished in web browsers anyway.

Unless, of course, you're an autistic Linux user.
>>
>>53829064
>>53829089
>>53829131
What, are you really surprised that an technology board on a website made for discussing anime is full of nerds who like talking about their more customizable OS and ridiculing people who use different OSes?
Why the fuck are you even here if you hate those kind of people to begin with? To discuss the newest smartphone? Fuck off.
also
>what is a vocal minority
>>
File: 1441970133921.png (70 KB, 509x1607) Image search: [Google]
1441970133921.png
70 KB, 509x1607
>>
>>53829161
>a website made for discussing anime

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>53829089
Because you only spot a vegan if he tells you he is a vegan.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Toupee_fallacy
>>
>>53828509
Fuck off ms shill, it's old now. Your software is shit. MS has a history of fucking people in the ass and inhibiting innovation for profit. Even if free software like linux was more difficult to use and less stable(it's not) I would still use it before ms because the company is morally bankrupt, intellectually dishonest and repeatedly fails to produce stable, secure, professional software. You sell lies, run smear campaigns and pay shills to tear down anything which might threaten the stinking pile of shit that is your business model. I really wouldn't care but your fucked up retarded commercial philosophy effects ME, I want nice stable innovative software, that's easy to use and efficient unfortunately that doesn't make ms any money. What does make money however is spreading FUD, and marketing a giant steaming pile of propriety shitware while using backhanded tactics to tear down reasonable competition(the software I want to use).

So Mr payed, memetic advertising shithead, take your shilliness elsewhere or better yet realise that you are contributing to the misery of the world and become an real human being.
>>
>>53829196
Oh, this isn't reddit?
>>
>>53828864
linux user here

can confirm this is the case, it's almost boring how it happens daily but the pussy f am
>>
>>53829093
>learn C++ for Linux
The guy who made this obviously hasn't used it before...

>>53829131
Yeah when people inevitably ask what OS I'm using I will go on and on about how amazing linux is. Can't deny that.
>>
>>53829173
That face
>>
>>53829220
upboated
>>
File: 1451728393377.gif (778 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1451728393377.gif
778 KB, 500x250
>>53829231
>having autism
>>
File: linux.gif (198 KB, 289x185) Image search: [Google]
linux.gif
198 KB, 289x185
>>53829269
>using linux
>>
File: honk4.jpg (54 KB, 300x902) Image search: [Google]
honk4.jpg
54 KB, 300x902
>>53829307
<implying implications
<not going back to /v/
>>
>Free
>/g/ meme
> No viruses :^)
>Free
Why not?
>>
File: really.gif (373 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
really.gif
373 KB, 300x169
>>53829326
>backwards meme arrows
>>
File: koiru.jpg (83 KB, 700x561) Image search: [Google]
koiru.jpg
83 KB, 700x561
>>53829378
get meme'd on kid
>>
File: 134300350833.gif (857 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
134300350833.gif
857 KB, 450x253
>>53828709
There's free software on Windows and some on OS X. A lot on Windows.
Uhh idk about you but I can do that. The only thing you'd have to do on Windows is install the drivers for the new laptop, but after that you can change the drive back and forth.
Unless you're using a FSF-approved OS, all major GNU/Linux OS's include non-free and/or proprietary software.
>easier to understand
>easier to fix
I'll give you this one. Windows progressively gets worse with time until you have to do a fresh install to keep it clean.
I'm not sure what you'd want to automate, but that seems specific to a certain need.
>fun
>>
>>53829513
Free as in freedom
>>
>>53828509
You can tweak it to your liking, it isn't a botnet, you can contribute to open sores community. Security is also pretty nice when compared to Winshit. Your pc doesn't degrade with the time. Also if you run a company, free software is a nice way to save money. Oh and you're bound to learn more about software and hardware by using it.

Extra points, it doesn't force itself on you with updates and shit.

>>53828659
Whatever Winshit does isn't even close to it, OSX is a good alternative though but lacks the freedom to adjust your shit to your liking.
>>
>>53829641
>Ricing a Linux box for watching animu is a good use of one's time
Kek
>>
>>53830221
It's fun for some people, they'll learn something, so why not.

Loonix isn't the right OS for me but it's not that hard to see the upsides of it.
>>
>>53829093
>learn to code in C++
>>
>>53828864

> https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1cgnp6/linux_users_of_reddit_what_is_so_great_about/c9gm27w
>>
>>53830267
I put it that way because it's exactly what I used to do in my college days - a disturbing era of my life in which my grades suffered due to an utter lack of focus.

I would not wish the same upon anyone.

Want to learn something useful in Linux? Grab an old computer and launch a test server. File sharing, web development, and the like. Not some stupid bullshit.
>>
File: 1459546104914.png (137 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459546104914.png
137 KB, 500x500
Privacy!
Full disk encryption without NSA backdoors!
Latest version of bash!
Fully customizable in every way imaginable!
>>
>>53830356
>Privacy!

What do you have to hide?

>Full disk encryption

Windows and even Mac do this just fine

>Latest version of bash!

How exactly is this useful?

>Fully customizable in every way imaginable!

Why would I want to waste my time customizing my OS?
>>
File: YeahThatsTheReason.jpg (77 KB, 250x397) Image search: [Google]
YeahThatsTheReason.jpg
77 KB, 250x397
>>
>>53830623
:3
>>
>>53830623
Saved because it's true. In a bad way.
>>
>>53830356
is that real? does rustle browse 4chan?
>>
Decent filesystem support.
>>
>>53829173
/thread
>>
Because it's better than the alternatives and doesn't spy on everything you do
>>
>>53828509
I don't want to spend time fixing all the bugs in Windows 10 I've experienced in just 2 months and I don't want to buy a $1.2 mac when I already have a nice working $140 x201.
>>
>>53829513
What kind of retard are you that you need to keep reinstalling Windows?

Personally, I don't even use a AV and I have never had to reinstall Windows. The only time I've had to reinstall Windows was for brain dead idiots in my apartment complex who don't know how to use the internet properly.
>>
>>53828783
get out, this is obviously not the board for you
>>
>>53832694
>I don't want to spend time fixing all the bugs in Windows 10

That's hilarious, because you'll spend way more time trying to fix bugs in your Linux distro.
>>
>>53832904
Time for you to go to /autism/
>>
>>53828509
If you can't think of a reason to use linux then there is no reason to use linux
>>
>>53834822
True
>>
Installs faster
Doesn't need to reboot to install updates
Boots faster
Runs faster and more stable
It's highly customizable in terms of looks and controlling it
It's free
I like it
>>
better yourself i guess. learning nix is hard, but that's ok cause you feel good when you overcome whatever challenge is thrown your way.

I couldn't count how many reasons why anon should run linux. Seriously, go for it if you're not making a living using some windows application that is.
>>
>>53829212
amen, brother. 4chan is full of paid shills
>>
>>53828659
Yes, Windows has a program that explicitly tries to imitate a Bash shell running on Linux, because Windows' command line and scripting faculties are so fucking bad.
>>
>>53832904
there is more to technology than ricing your epic linux desktop with bodacious anime babes
>>
>>53828509
Server software
Router software

That's about it.
>>
>>53828509
- doesn't cost you money
- can be configured to NOT send a report of everything you do back to some corporation.
- can be configured to store private information in such a way that it has a chance in hell of remaining private for a while.
- it's internal operation can be understood if you choose to study it
- hardware vendors make at least some effort to support Linux, as opposed to the BSDs.
- if you put in a little effort, you can make the OS look and work exactly like you want. You don't have to throw away functions and features that work just because the "new version" is out.

many more reasons but I"ll stop there.
>>
>>
>>53829064
Not even close. OSX cuck go full autism on Windows users and are oblivious to Linux.
>>
>>53828509
There are none. Linux users are socially inept fedora-wearing neckbeards who make up for their real-life failures by wrangling with a shitty, poorly designed operating system, a fact which they like to shove in everyone's face. The moment someone criticises Linux for being the piece of shit it is, they'll tip their fedoras, call the critic things like "stupid" or "retarded", then proceed to make the excuse that Linux isn't "suited for stupid people", but is rather designed for euphoric atheists like themselves.
>>
>>53828509
Servers
>>
>>53836135
>tries to imitate a Bash shell
It doesn't "try" to imitate, it runs the same binary as-is. Sorry butthurt linuxtard.
>>
>>53828864
>"The barista will come to you. She tells her manager she doesn't want you hacking their WEP secured wifi and rickrolling the whole cafe"

im in fucking stitches
>>
the only attack I see from linux users is when they're attacked first by anti-linux shills who make daily threads mocking them and their use
and then, those attackers keep making threads while using the experience of linux users attacking them because they attacked the linux users first as a justification for perpetuating the threads

srs, its daily, I should learn how to filter
>>
>>53829641
>You can tweak it to your liking

>install windows
or
>install linux and spend all day tweaking it to work like windows
>then fuck around on wine in the hopes that your windows programs will work like they did before
>>
>>53828864
Fedora user here, can confirm.
>>
>>53840186
why do u care so much about what other people do
you know we won't change to windows
keep your thing, and we keep ours
its almost like its a deliberate things you're doing
>>
>>53840281
>why do u care so much about what other people do
I don't.
>>
>>53840291
clearly you do, since you went out of your way to make a thread (or just post) and criticize linux users
>>
>>53829513
>I'm not sure what you'd want to automate, but that seems specific to a certain need.
It can be whatever you want.
Say you want to change the desktop background based on the wifi network, so you have one at home and a more professional one everywhere else.
Or you want to start your music player if it isn't running when you press play.
Or you want to download the newest videos from youtube from selected channels and add them to your playlist queue, so when you open your media center, you can just watch the videos without setting things up.
It could also be when you are writing a program, you automatically run statistics based on the output and updates all graphs in your report.
It can be anything you want.

Stuff like that is easy to do and for someone who have never done anything like this, it can be learned and written to work within a day.

It is obviously easier when all you work with is text, but a lot of things are.
>>
>>53840298
lmao I didn't make the thread you paranoid little bitch
>>
>>53840383
>or just post
nice reading comprehension
>>
>>53840383
>lmao
>little bitch
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>53828587
That's why I do it, desu. At DataFest today and there are a couple Linux bros here. Surprisingly even the really nerdy ones use Ubuntu with Unity. Didn't see any Arch ricers here.
>>
>>53828509
The reason these Windows users are so butthurt is because of all the malware they have to deal with, like ransomware encrypting their entire drives, botnets, and Microsoft themselves spying on them and breaking their Windows 10 installs every patch tuesday.
>>
>>53829378
<backwards meme arrows
>>
>>53840458
I'm sorry, I can delete my post and try again.
What would you prefer? lol? lel? kek? top lel? top kek? the lellest? most kek? Haha :)? lul? lil? *chuckles internally*? [laughing intensifies]? my sides?
I'm not sure which ebin meme we use nowadays for laughter nowadays.

>>53840451
I'm sure you can see, there was nothing in my post criticizing linux users. Close, but no cigar.

Better luck next time.
>>
>>53828509
Linux is convenient for developing software that uses libraries (anything beyond your fizzbuzz).

Other than that don't bother.
>>
>>53828509
its not a botnet

/thread
>>
>>53828509
No software, no vidya, no fun.
>>
Why not? I was dual-booting win 10 and mint on my laptop, I've formatted the mint partition and now I'm looking for the easiest to rice distro + de combo.
>>
File: 1459253893327.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
1459253893327.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>53829173
http://antitrust.slated.org/www.vanwensveen.nl/IhateMS.pdf
>>
Valgrind
>>
>>53840678
This is literally a Redditor. Take a good look, folks.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.