[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Software Bank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: seed bank.jpg (120 KB, 720x395) Image search: [Google]
seed bank.jpg
120 KB, 720x395
After the apocalypse (and the internet) you will be hard pressed to find all the servers containing the software you need to accomplish some basic computing tasks.
The solution?
A universal library of software which people all around the world have recorded onto small usb drives. Anywhere you go you can be sure that you will have access to essential software granted you can find one of these drives.

In your opinion what is the essential software that should be recorded?

>capacity of the drive is 5GB
>os may be anything; software should be os independent
>system might be 32 bit or 64 bit or some other architecture; software should take this into account
>if the program is really small then it should be included. you don't know what future users will need to do
>no two programs with the same functions should be included

My contribution:
A small linux distribution like dsl or puppy linux
>>
>>53825105
>implying sd-cards don't degenrate over time
>>
>>53825147
You can record it on whatever you want I suppose. The distribution itself is 5GB though

Another idea:
TCC (tiny c compiler) which clocks in less than 1MB compressed for win32 binaries
>>
I want to keep an historical review of

FIREFOX

from the barely working alphas to the good browser it was down to the useless botnet, riddled with GOOGLE CHROME emulated shitty gui... keep this degeneracy forever for witnessing the downward spiral into the IT world order.
>>
>>53825105
>what is LTO
eat shit nigger. I got my very own underground bunker under my house with couple of servers + enough space for couple of ammunition boxes containing at least 50 LTO5 tape drives.
>>
>only 5 gb

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2013/jul/17/5d-superman-memory-crystal-heralds-unlimited-lifetime-data-storage
>>
>>53825175
>>53825201
Anyone know of a good file archiver which is small and has support for common file types we can include? 7zip only works on windows
>>
>>53825226
Its just an artificial constraint to stress the idea that everything should be really small. A real version could even include small texts on survival, history, science, etc.
>>
Go 16gb, because 16gb cards are the cheapest per $ at this point.
>system might be 32 bit or 64 bit or some other architecture
Who says it's only gonna be x86?
Throw MIPS, ARM and PPC into the mix as well.
Fucking EMP and every <100nm chip dies, all we got's a bunch of fucking iMac G3's then.
You'd want a basic explanation of C, a compiler written for a demo architecture, compilers written for modern/common architectures, nothing fancy, pure compilation, no optimisation. You want them to be easily readable and make sense for future programmers. Perhaps do one showing the advancements we've made with optimisation.
Then, on top of that, the source of the linux kernel, gnu coreutils, and lots of other little unix applets (tmux, sshfs, etc)
>>
windows xp, wamp and every kind of php based transaction processing systems known to man

if its 100gb i'd get windows 7 and every ide/framerwork/library/api/sdk/toolkits right now
>>
>>53825491
>windows xp
>wamp
>php

I would actually suggest using the opportunity to destroy every single bit of these we could find
>>
>Not erasing everything in your software bank and replacing it with a single copy of the GPL.
>Future generations will know we had incredible software
>software so good it was a crime to withhold it from others
>but they won't have access to any of it
>>
>>53825105

You know anon, the Internet as it is is quite resilient.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.