[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I kinda want to back to the new design. It needs tweaks but it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7
File: 1459267039816.jpg (332 KB, 360x496) Image search: [Google]
1459267039816.jpg
332 KB, 360x496
I kinda want to back to the new design. It needs tweaks but it looked nice. At least give us the option to select it instead of Yotsuba!

>pic unrelated
>>
>>53822770
If he could make the motorbike run then why couldn't he make the car run?
Smells like bull shit to me.
>>
>>53822770

>more interesting picture than post

20 miles isn't that long, i could probably walk that distance if I had a decent hat, would probably take less time than turning a car into a motorbike without proper tools...
>>
>>53822973
It would be a hassle to fix the broken parts, so he just took whatever worked and made it into a bike.
>>
>He hasn't gone on a night long pilgrimage

By the end of it I was tired as fuck but It was fun as fuck walking all night.
>>
>>53823103
20 miles...

that's about 30 kilometers, right? I've walked about that much after my bike's tire popped once a few years ago. It was noon, the weather was very hot, and I had no water on myself. Damn, that was fun.

Took me about 4 to 5 hours to get to my city, and I didn't even hurry.

>inb4 why didn't you ride with a flat tire?
I didn't want to fuck it up
>>
>>53822973
Transmission, I guess
>>
>>53823148
Confirmed for not knowing how cars work
>>
>>53823169
>late night pilgrimage
>20 miles through the desert
No, you're right, he should have just walked
>>
>>53823629
I'm ESL and didn't know how to really express what I meant. My english vocab is weak.

anyway yeah, I'm not into cars and I don't give a fuck about them
>>
>>53823667
How can you not care about cars? They're a feat of engineering, an absolute marvel of the modern world.
I mean, can you imagine moving two tons of metal to 100km/h in under 3 seconds?
>>
>>53823701
The engineering behind them is impressive, I agree, but..I don't know, I was never really interested in them.
>>
>>53823701
There's a million things to potentially care about and we only have so many days on this earth. I honestly care very little about how my A to Z metal box works as long as it does.
>>
>>53823818
Do you have a licence? What do you drive?
Also, what country? Here in Australia almost everyone knows at least basic things about cars, it's a pretty big part of our culture.
>>
>>53823846
No, I don't have a license. I don't have a car either. I cycle around or take the buses when I really need to go somewhere.

I'm not /totally/ clueless about cars, but I'd probably be more interested if I had one.

Oh, and I'm from serbia.
>>
>>53823933
Makes sense, once you get the itch for more power there's no stopping it.
The feeling of a perfect gear change or rev match is amazing.
>>
This is possibly the most civilized thread I have ever seen on /g/ and maybe even 4chan.
>>
>>53823933
>Serbia
>no scraping his own Yugo from parts you picked off every street corner

Guy turn in your man card at the nearest trash can
>>
>>53824304
I honestly have no use for a car..

I cycle.
>>
>>53824441
Another faggot Serb here, and i can confirm that we rarely have a a reason to use cars.
In the bigger cities, you have a good enough tram/trolleybus/minibus/bus system, or cycling, to get us anywhere pretty fast. Our populations are small which translates to compact small cities.
Electronic cards cost students a fixed ~9€ ($10.2 US) depending on city zoning a month which covers unlimited public transport, or twice that for those above 26 years old, and also humble pensioner costs. There are also lots of people who simply use the train towards Belgrade for work, though i don't know how it economically equates compared to a car.
Most of us have driving licenses from before the government jacked up the prices for attaining one to retarded levels, and also fucked up the way driving is being taught, for job application reasons. Though a lot don't have a car despite having a license.
>>
>>53822770

>>20 miles

so, uh, a 5-6 hour walk?

actually, that's kind of neat. instead of walking for six hours to get to town, he built his car into a motorcycle over the course of at least 12 and then drove in 20 minutes.

genius.
>>
>>53824611
>Electronic cards
Damn, bulgarian here, you have those? Our bus cards (or at least the ones in my city) are still paper ones, although there have been some news about switching to electric cards. The buses are also being outfitted with some kind of scanners right now, but I have no idea when they'll go live.

the future is neat
>>
>>53824666
I personally want the old mechanical system + identification card back.
It used to be that you had tickets you could buy in a bunch for cheap, and just puncture them at the mechanical box on the entrances to the transportation vehicle; and also an alternative to just buy an identification card wrapped in plastic which also has a small insertion point on the side to slide in a specific ticket that identifies authorization for unlimited transportation for that month.
It was all clean, fast, and easy.

Now with electronic cards you have:
Lines at the entrance because it takes some time for the dumb fucking scanners to work and scan.
Broken electronics scanners and people fucking them up with magnets kek.
A fucking cancerous hindrance of repairing those scanners in comparison to a simple mechanical ticket puncturing box.

I'd say the electronic system is fucking idiotic as hell. I'd also venture to say that it's intentionally used to jack up prices because it's more complex and retarded, under the justification that it's "modernization".
>>
>>53824739
>people fucking them up with magnets
oh boy I'm definitely going to do that

Also shit, your english is perfect. If you hadn't said you were serbian I'd probably think you were a native english speaker.

Honestly, I can only hope to speak english as good as you.
>>
>>53824175
>rev match
hmm so that's what is called. I have license for a year almost and managed to pull it off once or twice and it was so satisfying despite not knowing what is really happening or how it's done
>>
>>53824441
I feel like you're underage. This site is +18.
I used to say the same thing before getting my license
>>
>>53824889
I own a license and a car but prefer to walk / cycle when possible.
>>
>>53824889
19 and a half.

I'm kinda poor anyway so I don't want to waste money on fuel, repairs and insurance.
>>
>>53824926
Don't your parents have a car? I also don't own a car but I used my parents' whenever needed. Like when I want to go out to other city for a party with friends
>>
>>53824889
I feel you're american. Because only an american doesn't understand how fucked up their urban planning or lack of it is in the USA
>>
>>53822770
ahhah vive la france
>>
>>53824954
They do, but they use it every day to travel to work. Even if I had a license, I wouldn't have a chance to use it, except during the weekends..
>>
>>53825001
I totally understand you. I was pretty much in an identical situation. I always though that I didn't need no car, I love biking, and didn't even want to get license at 18.
But my parents got some sense onto me and now I know how right they were.
Having license opens up a lot of opportunities, there's no downside of owning it even if you can't drive much.
The only problem might be the money and possibility of paying more if you fail the exams, but I don't know how that works in your country
>>
>>53825140
Yeah, I agree. Having a license in my country can get you more jobs, even if they don't involve driving.

I guess having a license makes you somewhat more trustworthy in the employers' eyes.

Oh well, it wouldn't hurt to try.

I've never ever driven a car in my life, though. I've asked my parents a lot of times to just try once, but they always forbid me, because they were afraid of a fine (or god forbid, me crashing that car into something).

Overprotective parents...
>>
>>53823933
Also from serbia, don't know a thing about cars. Don't really need them.

For shorter ranges (to 10km) I can walk. For longer ranges (10-20km), there's my faithful TOMOS APN A6. For anything onger than that, bus.
>>
>>53823846
I have a car and I'm not really interested in how they operate. I have VW hatchback, it just werks
I prefer to cycle when I can anyway. Driving in the city stinks.
>>
Mythbusters tried this and determined that it can be done, but that the resulting motorcycle is difficult to keep moving quickly enough to be stable even on tarmac and that you'd be at risk of having the thing fall over on top of you.

Disappointingly they didn't try turning the body into a sled pulled by the engine and the remaining wheels. I think that would be a more practical 'survival escape vehicle' than a awkward motorcycle.
>>
>>53825281
Once again, I was in that situation. I only driven for like 10 seconds before my dad started yelling at me to switch gears and I was completely overwhelmed so he just stopped the car and told me to go learn in driving school before I fuck up his car.
I though driving was hard but when I was taught it apparently is pretty easy.
>>
>>53825281
Lol.

My father forced me to drive Rakovica 65 tractor when I was 13 years old. I even fucked up the entrance gate when parking out with a trailer. Man, being a kid is fun.
>>
File: sponge_hurr.jpg (10 KB, 261x197) Image search: [Google]
sponge_hurr.jpg
10 KB, 261x197
>>53822770
>2013+3
>using anything else than tomorrow
ishygddt
>>
>>53825392
I'll try getting a license this summer, it's gonna be a bit costly, but I have some money saved up (~4/6th of the cost).

If I pass the tests I'd feel awesome.
>>
>>53825506
Good luck anon
>>
>>53823279
42 Kilometers, more or less.
>>
>>53825752
Google says 32 Kilometres

And I remember that one mile is about 1.6 Kilometres.
>>
>>53824959
Hey you at least have some sort of grid planned cities. We in europe just build it however we want. The end result is a very confusing street layout.
>>
>>53825822
>>
>>53825822

yurop
>>
>>53823103
Maybe he has no legs, shitlord.
>>
But who took the photo?!
>>
>>53825917
I know, right? I was wondering the exact same thing.
>>
>>53822770
Staged. Why the fuck would you pose for photographs if you were really racing against dehydration in the desert in Africa?
>>
>>53825822
yurop city planner here

Confirmed for not knowing shit. Grids are usually cancer.
>>
>>53822770
what a load of bullshit
>>
>>53823846
/o/ please go away
>>
>>53822973
Probably something like a broken control arm or hub failure. Something important enough to cripple the car but not affecting the drivetrain or at least two wheels.
>>
>>53822770
But who was camera?
>>
File: louis wain.jpg (136 KB, 465x318) Image search: [Google]
louis wain.jpg
136 KB, 465x318
>>53826114
The roads in europe are proof that you don't know shit either.

>>53825822
Streets started that way because of horses and carts. Then they kept being retarded because our city planners have schizophrenia. That's the only possible explanation for our roads being a mess of spirals, circles and bends.
Pic related: how our road planners see cats
>>
>>53826290
> doesn't understand urban planning

Go on Google type in Brasilia for your god tier grid. Check out the results
>>
>>53826633
kek is this the "brasilia" is a failed city meme?

If it wasn't a capital city, no one would think there was anything wrong with it. It's not the most popular, but it's a perfectly fine city.
Anyway, a planned city is different from adding onto existing cities. There's no reason for new developments to be as whimsically designed as old ones.
>>
>>53822770
Mythbusters busted that.
>>
>>53827479
>perfectly fine city.

Not if you walk.
>>
File: Brasilia+4.jpg (493 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Brasilia+4.jpg
493 KB, 750x750
>>53827479
>a perfectly fine city
Anotherfag here.
I am not a city planner, but even i can see the economic problems of this design in terms of transportation, whether civilian or industrial, job-residential connection.
The upper left and lower left especially have a retarded lack of proper interconnection negating those retarded over-reaching curvatures (though i don't know if this was ratified since the pic was made).

>durr but its a plane! CITY PLANNING HURR
>>
>>53824739
>>53824783
Umerican here,
you both seem to write english alot better than most americans. when did you guys learn english?
>>
>>53827815
Second guy here, I learned english by playing games, watching movies without subtitles, and using everything in english from a young age.

My english teachers until the 7th grade were amazing, but from the 8th on, I had the worst luck in teachers. They taught me the wrong pronunctiations, the wrong meanings, wrong anything. I was aware that whatever they were telling me was total crap, but some sticks with me even today. I could've been at the first guy's level of english had I had the luck of having better teachers.
>>
>>53822770
I don't know why you'd want that, it looked like literal cancer
The Mythbusters covered your pic, I just can't remember if it was busted or not
>>
>>53827949
Thats pretty cool. I feel like I could talk to you without much trouble. It's pretty interesting that you guys speak english better than alot of my peers at school.
>>
>>53827662
I walk in europe.
It's fucking abysmal trying to get to another side of a big roundabout.
Can take 15 minutes, when your destination at the other side is literally a stone's throw away. It's also unsafe.

>>53827768
The space could have been used more efficiently, but still in a grid shape.
The problem with that is that they went for an aesthetic thing above a practical thing. Same thing in europe, they make shit needlessly complicated because it has to be seamless with the old parts of the city.

Fuck starting a whole city from scratch, it's not even an option in most of europe. But a fucking suburban development could easily been in a grid, but they never are. They have cul de sacs and trapezoid shaped plots of land, roundabouts for no reason whatsoever. It's because people are idiots and think making things awkward gives an area character.
>>
>>53828006
I..don't have much experience actually speaking in english. To a native english speaker I'd probably sound really strange because of my weird slav accent.

but who knows, people over there may find that cute
>>
>>53827815
I learned English from watching a shit-ton of movies and TV shows with my pops since i was a 4 year old.
I also started watching a crapload of cartoons when we got a satellite receiver, and recorded a lot of them on tapes.
By the time i was 9 or 10, i had a good grasp on elementary English and also started learning German, in parallel, by watching SuperRTL and RTL. Especially liked those shows with kids having a competition of filling their baskets with toys, and that guy who always used random materials to create pictures on the floor that can be seen from a top-to-bottom view. It was unintentional in a way because, as i listened, i realized most of the English and German words were basically the same with minor distinctions. The rest was just taking the grammar differences for granted.
As far as the writing goes, elementary school did a good job setting up my foundations.
I fucked it up by polishing my writing skills on the Internet when i started browsing in around '03.

I wouldn't say i am good at English at all as that Bulgarian anon suggests. I find even what i have written now to be filled with a shitload of mistakes.
The only reason it feels "good" is because i write like a fucking fedorafag.
>>
>>53828103
Yea pretty much. I love people with heavy accents. It's hard to understand them sometimes but its fun once you are comfortable with each other.
>>
>>53828158
Well it looks pretty close to how people here in america speak. You even have slang like shitton and crapload. I have a friend that writes almost exactly like this. It's pretty interesting.
>>
>nobody cared about OP's question

neat
>>
>>53828158
Non english speaking countries teach languages so well.

If we need to learn french, we basically have to go to france. We had an hour a week of french in hs. instead of teaching more french, they added an hour of german to it.

Three fucking hours of latin though. christ. And that didn't even have a vocabulary element. So I can't say anything in latin either. I can tell you the different rooms in a roman villa however, and maybe some basic grammar.

That said, it's very nice that continental europe puts in such an effort. I've traveled a ton of different countries and never had to learn a single word of any other language to get by. You fuckers light up with smiles when we say the local word for "thanks" though, so I do that.

>>53828869
He had a question?
>>
>>53828881
err
not a question, i meant talked on topic

fug
>>
>>53828881
Why would you learn latin? What use is there to learning a dead language?

Also, how the hell are you supposed to learn a language if you have that subject once a week?

is it just for general knowledge?
>>
>>53828955
They made up some bullshit about it being useful for law, no idea if that has any truth to it.
The real reason is that it was a private school (which we call "public" schools, I also don't know why) and I guess it brought some prestige. Basically for advertising.

It was good fun though, there was a lot of cultural history. As in what life was like for a roman citizen, as opposed to proper history which deals with events and important things.

I have no idea how they expected us to learn a language that way. I think the UK curriculum has a minimum requirement for teaching languages.
Unfortunately learning other european languages isn't useful for us, because most of you speak english so well.
I guess Chinese is useful, but I guess teaching it is hard, and finding qualified teachers is hard too.

There were some kids who had a flair for languages, but they were heavy into linguistics and semantics. The only bilingual kids I knew in HS were originally from outside the UK, apart from them it was a handful polyglots and english speakers.
>>
>>53828955
>What use is there to learning a dead language?
It's not as dead as you think.
Learning Latin is basically equivalent to learning half of Romanian, half of Italian, and a part of French and Spanish, if you put effort to start giving a shit about noticing the common wording.
Apart from that, it is necessary if you are going to have a job relating to religion, archaeology, history and linguistics.

I personally had 2 years of it in high-school. Don't remember a thing because i don't give a shit. But i can tell you for sure that it is far from being a dead language as far as benefits of learning it go.
>>
File: piacenza.jpg (62 KB, 400x285) Image search: [Google]
piacenza.jpg
62 KB, 400x285
>>53825822
this is not always true: generally roman founded cities were built with a scheme made by a two perpendicular streets, and then additional streets between them.
This occurred because cities in those time were just civilized (with that other meaning) military camps, which were built with these rules. The roman empire spread in more or less all europe, so many cities have this layout.

pic related is the city of Piacenza in Italy, while the central zone is organized by the roman system, the city went under development also in medieval times, but there it does not conserve his layout
>>
testicle
>>
>>53822770
>citroen
of course.
>>
True, European street plans are retard-tier. You should never do something like trying another route to work as you'll end up getting lost and realising you're in a whole other city when you start up navigation.
>>
>>53822973
He probably used the starter as an electric motor and the battery, this way he didn't have to repair the engine.
>>
>>53830255
he travelled 20 miles on a car battery?
>>
>>53828060
But the fucking point is, you can walk in Europe, You can even walk from cities twenty miles apart and you will have sidewalks all the way and on top of that you have public transportation.

And on the second point, the problem with the grid shape is that it is low density, the urban sprawl is huge and by having cities in a much wider space than they'd have to be you're mandating that the only option to get around is driving.

You don't think Brasilia is enough proof, look closer to home, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles. All those cities are fuckups of urban planning, LA has done huge amount of changes with livable streets project in the last ten years alone, its nearly unrecognizable in many ways.Go look at New York city 15 years ago and look at it today.

European cities weren't even built for horse and cart they were built for people and all the other things that could come with them you have great examples of European cities like Copenhagen which IS the model of all world wide cities when they wake up to the problems they have. And you have really bad examples like Brussels. Grids are shit compared to organic development.
>>
>>53831444
You know what dude.
You won me over.

I just had a stressful driving experience this morning, but thinking about it, I do love walking around my euro city. I like that the town center is dense enough that you can do all your shopping on foot, or having a night out where you can walk from pub to pub.

Still, the roads could be simplified.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)
Shit like this is a thing.
>>
>>53822770
>>53822973
>>53823148
Google says it had a broken frame rail. Of course, it also says it took him 12 days, which seems like it would make walking the better option.
>>
>>53825367
>Volkswagen
>works
KEK
>>
>>53832349
Roundabouts are brilliant examples of design and have saved countless lives. There are hardly any accidents at that Swindon roundabout, especially with the amount of traffic it handles.

Drivers may hate it but that shit makes them think, slows them down and it works.
>>
>>53825471
material tomorrow would be cool. I'm not going to spend all that time fucking with CSS though
>>
>>53822770
>Still using imperial system
Fuck this board
>>
>>53825822
But you didn't have fifty years of retarded car centric design.
>>
git gud OP

https://userstyles.org/styles/126275/4chan-google-theme-april-fools-2016
>>
>>53823846
US- drive a Hyundai Santa fe and have no interest in cars.
>>
>>53832349
What the fuck man that maguc roundabout shit looks like it would take you 10 minutes to get to the other side
>>
>>53830943
Possible.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.