[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your Mail Server: get this shit done Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: monty hall vs mail server.png (65 KB, 2000x1111) Image search: [Google]
monty hall vs mail server.png
65 KB, 2000x1111
MTA: qmail, exim, sendmail, postfix?
>http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison
MDA: just stick with Dovecot?
Tools: spamassassin, clamav: are those really needed?
DNS editing: which spf?
v=spf1 a mx -all
and be done with it?
VPS: cheaper? non-US?
Safe practices: encrypt-at-rest (LUKS), enforce secure mail sending and retrieval, AppArmor/SELinux,
Webmail: Roundcube? Squirrelmail?
iptables/ipset rules?

Domain name and TLD for familia and for professional use (besides .com): surname.{pro,.me,.xyz,.link}? .mail is pretty expensive. Domain hacks?

Bonus: auto-reject mails not encrypted with the OpenPGP standard and/or reject mails sent using unsafe protocols?
>>
>>53815948
pls respond
>>
Postfix uses sendmail.
Spamassassin totally needed. No disadvantages to have either.
Why encrypt when the other person's email is snooped on? (except PGP, sure)
>>
>>53816082
Also, don't give a shit about novel TLDs. Makes it more complicated for normal dipshits to remember, especially if they're not used to the new, nonstandard ones.
>>
>>53815948
a goat is worth more than a mail server I think
>>
>>53816143
Obviously, that's a given. The scenario is that if you pick the mail server, with your 1/3 probability, then you gotta do something with it.
>>
>>53816082
>Postfix uses sendmail.
? postfix is a separate MTA - it may feature a /sbin/sendmail soft link on some distro for convenience

>>53816143
Probably

>>53816174
>1/3
ahem
>>
Sendmail with procmail on digital ocean. Running with two daemons. Mail submission with local auth and mta. Run that first and add functionality later.
>>
>>53815948
>VPS
I can't manage to find anything cheaper than OVH. Then again, they have such no-trouble offers for domain+mail hosting (with any kind of safe practice) that makes you wonder why do you want to use a vps
>>
>>53815948
HEY, really great thread OP.

I run a personal mailserver on Digital Ocean using Exim. I don't run an IMAP server, just Exim.

my muttrc uses an ssh tunnel to send mail, and I use rsync to get it on my laptop.

I do NOT recommend DO. They block outgoing smtp on IPv6 and it complicates things.
>>
>>53815948
>enforce secure mail sending and retrieval
there was some anon on this board that said he was able to auto-reject mail sent using unsafe protocols

>>53816082
>Spamassassin
What if I just reject malformed headers plus maybe a RBL?
>>
>>53816570
>there was some anon
https://rbt.asia/g/thread/S53152581#p53152942
>>
bump?
bump
>>
I ran my own mail servers for decades, but I've since given up due to spam. SpamAssassin helps but not enough. I've even paid for professionally maintained RBLs (commercial use), but still ended up with multiple spam mails per hour on my own account alone. Sure I could filter out 3000 per day but those 20-30 that made it through to my inbox alone still pissed me off. I use Google apps for business now and have only gotten 1 spam in the last few years. I hate giving them access to my mail, but fuck it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.