[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xiaomi phones: What's the deal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
Guys, can you please redpill me on these chinese phones? They seem to be very good, and they're also very cheap. What's going on here? There must be something, right? Are these things portable botnets?
>>
>>53814218

They are nice.
>>
>>53814231
Yeah, but what's the catch? There's obviously a catch.
>>
>>53814242
I don't think they have one besides Chinese botnet.
I installed MIUI on my lenovo k3 note and I'm not liking it maybe I'll buy a xiaomi after my pre-ordered Ulefone Vienna dies
>>
>>53814218
>What's going on here?
They simply take a smaller cut. Most flagship phones are worth about 200-300 bucks, let's be generous and add 25 for R&D and 25 for packaging and shit, every cent you pay more is pure profit.

Also the guarantee/replacement with chinese stuff seems like a pain, but it's with pretty much every phone sans iPhone.
>>
They are cheap because they sell literal shit tons of them in China, India and SE asia. Because they sell so many there is a very robust development community. Plus they keep everything unlocked so you can do whatever you want with the phone.

>botnet
Well then you need to get a non android blackberry if you don't want that.
>>
>>53814275
>>53814276
So, what you're guys are saying is that this thing is good and cheap, and there's no catch? is that it? I mean, really?
>>
>>53814343

The chinaman just gets less profit per unit obviously.

Its not that hard to understand..

Think about it, an Iphone6 costs ~200usd to make, what do they sell them for?
>>
>>53814383
>The chinaman just gets less profit per unit obviously.
But why would they do that?
>>
They just don't rip you off. Flagship phones cost like $200ish to make and they sell them for around $600. Also they're pretty big in China so they make up the lost profit per unit by just selling more.
>>
>>53814398
Because they understood that most people aren't going to spend more money on an Android phone.

Also given that the people in their main market got less money, it would be extra stupid. They also expect to make their bucks with their own stores.
>>
>>53814398

Making more profit per unit means you sell less units.
Making less profit per unit means you sell more units.

The chinaman is the land of the mass production.

say they sell 3 phones for $400 and make $200 profit per unit vs apple selling a single iphone6 for $850 with ~$600 profit. There are more people who can afford a cheap phone than an expensive one.
>>
>>53814242
Volume. Also they use the internuts as main way to sell their shit (with official distributor coming only when the market presence is justified enough).

People was worried that this model of business would die a fiery death but they seems to get foothold and become stable enough to become mainstream. Other smartphone companies (1+ and oppo as well as rookie companies like leagoo, doogee and vivo) simply follow their template
>>
>>53814421
>>53814432
>>53814451

babbies 1st business lesson, Ismael Graham
>>
>>>/g/csg is a good place to discuss Xiaomi phones
>>
>>53814451
>>53814457
Uhm... Sounds reasonable and ethical. Still a bit hard to believe. Are Xiaomi phones good? Like, actually good? How often do they break?
>>
>not asking csg
Please.

>>53803256
>>53803256
>>
>>53814486
>>53814497
Sorry, guys. I don't come to /g/ often. I usually hang on /int/
>>
File: _20160401_225944.jpg (126 KB, 1080x1102) Image search: [Google]
_20160401_225944.jpg
126 KB, 1080x1102
>>53814514
Fair enough.
Come to csg for some great discussions though.
You'd be surprised what kind of Chinese shit you can order.

Pic related is 150 aud only.
>>
>>53814546
I will. Mods can delete the thread if they want.
>>
>>53814492
For starters, I'd rather have Xiaomi than Lenovo, Nokia, hell even mid-range (which means J and A series) Samshit.

The only things that I hate about Xiaomi is that unless you buy one from official retailer, it is literally filled with botnet, bloatware, crapware, and shit merchant rom. Kinda tricky for its intended users (poor people with minimal computer literacy) to really benefit from this phone
>>
File: 5BQ9RD6.png (128 KB, 760x600) Image search: [Google]
5BQ9RD6.png
128 KB, 760x600
>>53814571
Jesus, even Nokia. That makes the finns sad.
>>
>>53814571
Xiaomi really does seem to make awesome products, just judging from their powerbank. Most powerbanks at double their prices are cheap horrible plastic shit, but xiaomi just wants you to use their good shit because they want to sell their services/push their botnet, so it helps to make it cheap and awesome.

Kinda sucks that their OS is horrible from what I've read.
>>
>>53814795
Ulefone and meizu are pretty good too
>>
>>53814892
I'm getting myself a chinese phone
>>
>>53814913
Check out csg for more and better advice from people with personal experience.
>>53814497
>>
>>53814218
They dont have encryption chips and so they cant encrypt shit
>>
>>53814795
I've got a Redmi 2 and using the MIUI, it's got it's problems of course, but it also has some good tools like the multi profile, app controlling and their support on warranty for ROMing your device.

Xiaomi's products are good for the buck, though the only complaint is their battery size, most of their phones hover around the 2000-3000Mah, it lasts a day at a good use and mine has lasted up to 4 days when all I did was text and read documents, but would be better to have a higher amount or if they sold the batteries alone like a 5000Mah or such on their website, aside from the MiBank.
>>
I personally bought Xiaomi's Redmi Note 3 Pro for $160USD using a site exploit I found and posted to /csg/.

It just shipped last week and should be arriving some time next week. From what I hear it's a great phone. It's got nearly 80k score on Antutu, great 4Ah battery life, and a micro SD card slot.
>>
>>53814795
It is one of the fastest roms, and has the most active development out of them all. There may be some issues with it but it is still bretty gud.
>>
But if you live in the US, are there really any options when it comes to frequency bands?
>>
>>53814242

You still have to use Android is the catch.

Doesn't much mater what brand is on the bag the shit comes. May as well get a cheap bag to hold the shit.

Really its all about freedom and customization.

And autism
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.