[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to de-botnet my android. Ironically the only app I would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: serveimage.png (7 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
7 KB, 200x180
About to de-botnet my android.
Ironically the only app I would need that I can't acquire via legit channels appears to be Signal.
I know that there exists a F-Droid repo called "libresignal" but I don't trust it.
How hard building apps like these from source actually is? Running arch.
>>
Check out SMS Secure on F-Droid
>>
>>53803857
You have a bigger problem because Signal relies on GCM which requires GPS to be installed.

Libresignal drains battery, alternatively you could install a FOSS GPS implemenation.
https://github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore
>>
>>53803994
>GmsCore
That shit refuses to work on my phone
>>
>>53803994
>>53804153
I was in belief that GmsCore + Signal works fine?
I'm thinking of using the version with Google Cloud messaging to text with my grillfriends who have superior iFones.
If that's not the case then just fuck it, I'll let them spy on me...
>>
>>53804651
The apks GmsCore requires me to install won't install on my phone, even with the sig spoofing module
>>
>>53804704
really Bob? u mean the apks that are part of GmsCore or does it require some third party dependencies?
>>
>>53804742
desu I can't remember. I remember I used the aroma recovery installer since installing via the apks turned out to be such a bitch, managed to get blank store working, but I looked at the microg settings and it says I still needed to install a bunch of apks. I tried to do what it told me and it just won't work.
>>
it isn't hard; it just takes time
github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/blob/master/BUILDING.md
>>
>>53803857
libresignal works fine with the gmscore

>>53803994
it does drain battery but only if you keep 3g/4g on, because it maintains cell signal with wifi on, if I'm not mistaken. You have to force stop it, or only use wifi. Still testing it in full, but force stopping it does stop the drain
>>
>>53803857
>there exists a F-Droid repo called "libresignal" but I don't trust it.

its on F-droid so its free so you can check the source ?

I thought I was paranoid.
>>
>>53804788
You need to remove all of the google apps first.
You can try this in a terminal (as root) if it still doesn't work:
pm uninstall com.google.android.gms
pm uninstall com.google.android.gsf
pm install /sdcard/path/to/microg-gmscore.apk
>>
File: _20160401_152450.jpg (78 KB, 1080x746) Image search: [Google]
_20160401_152450.jpg
78 KB, 1080x746
>>53805923
>mantains cell signal on
Works on my machineā„¢
(heartbeat interval is at 600, no delays for me)
>>
>>53806178
Been there, done that. It doesn't work.
>>
Can't you just turn off the Google spying with AFWall+ and Cyanogenmods privacy settings?
>>
>>53803857
It's not just that you can't get it from the play store. Even if you compile it and sideload to your phone (I've done this) it doesn't work and tells you it requires GCM. I just use LibreSignal and tell normie friends to install Signal since they're almost certainly going to have Google play or iphone app store.
>>
>>53804651
>>53804153
Works fine for me.
>>
>>53806307
You fucked it up.
>>
>>53806366
I didn't fuck up, it was a clean flash. There was no gapps to begin with.
>>
>>53806373
Works on my clean flash. You fucked it up. Re-read the microG wiki pages.
>>
>>53805954
F-Droid is more than just its official repo, it's a repository mechanism. Plenty of android software, free or not, is available in self-hosted repos.
>>
>>53806662
>i-it must be your fault!
Thanks for such a useful post fuckface. Maybe the sig spoofing module it asked me to install is a non-functional piece of shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.