[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /g/. I've fallen for the linux meme and I've just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Ok /g/. I've fallen for the linux meme and I've just installed debian with xfce. I have no idea what the fuck I am doing. I guess first I have to install drivers since I'm not getting any sound videos just play at max speed. A driver disk came with my mobo but it and all the downloads on the website are for windows only. What do I do?
>>
don't install debian first go even if some /g/ faggots tell you to

Ubuntu will come with newer drivers.
>>
Sudo apt-get install drivers
>>
1) Don't use xfce if you're new.

2) Try again with linux mint

3) Google your particular MOBO or video card for proper drivers.
>>
Firstly, don't use Debian. Either use Ubuntu (not Mint).
You could also go for Manjaro/Apricity/Antergos, which are all based on Arch Linux. They aren't difficult to use, and the package manager is so much better than the apt-get system.
>>
>>53795319
Start with ubuntu
>>
Ok so I'm starting to get the package manager. I think everything will be fine shortly. Also whats wrong with xfce? Seems like a normal desktop
>>
>>53795445
>1) Don't use xfce if you're new.
xfce is fine. xubuntu would be a great first distro.

Debian is the problem.
>>
>>53795319
Debian is terrible for supporting third part drivers. I recommend you use Linux Mint or Ubuntu. They make the driver issue a lot easier to deal with.
Also googling will not hurt either.
>>
should have spent time reading before you made the switch.
>>
File: 425252.png (11 KB, 483x339) Image search: [Google]
425252.png
11 KB, 483x339
hahahahahaha
am i seeing right? /g/ is full of toddlers who cant install FUCKING DEBIAN
go back to windows you obviously cant operate a computer

b-but debian doesnt come with non-free bloat as default!!!! how can i use a os that requires me to install drivers!!!!!
hahahahahahahahahahhaa

fucking end yourselves
>>
>>53796124
that's unnecessary, lets keep this civil.

Any I thought ubuntu was just debian but with a bunch of shit thrown on top? Doesn't any solution for ubuntu also apply to debian but with a little extra work?
>>
>>53795350
This
Ubuntu is great for beginners
>>
Check out smxe.org or something like that. It's a script or scripts for doing shit on Debian like installing non free drivers and other common shit, originally made for one of the sid "distros". Its command line based but straight forward for anyone who isn't a tard.
>>
>>53797333
Smxi.org
>>
>>53796237
Ubuntu is the best Distro family
>>
I use Debian(or rather it was #! before that died, but it was basically debian with openbox anyway), never had any issues.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.