[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'ey G. I had a question and I don't wanna go to wsr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: -1024kb ain't right.jpg (152 KB, 645x570) Image search: [Google]
-1024kb ain't right.jpg
152 KB, 645x570
'ey G. I had a question and I don't wanna go to wsr because they're stinky. pls no bully.

>laptop froze while playing game
>force shutdown with power button
>restart bsod
>now desktop slow response(mouse doesn't move immediately, minutes to open a folder or register click, shutdown takes long ass time)
>did virus scans and chkdsk
>can boot safemode
>when uninstall display drivers can boot up normally(no slowdown)
>when display drivers are installed 1/10 times can boot okay but stuff like photoshop mentions failed drivers
>rest of the times either slow response or crashes before logon screen
>99% sure it's display driver or graphics card related
>tried updating drivers and used DDU but same problem

Could this be a graphics card failure? I can't think of anymore variations of uninstall/install display drivers I can try.
>>
>>53792870
Btw, I took the laptop apart and put it back together but had 2 leftover screws. Still works! As well as it was before I took it apart at least. I broke one of the fan blades though while trying to clean the dust and now it sounds louder.
>>
I found the issue. You seem to still have a deprecated OS installed.
>>
>>53792909
Windows 7? Think you have that confused with vista. 7 is one of the best
>>
Download hirens boot or ultimate boot and run hdat and memtest
>>
>>53792870
try disable the dedicated gpu in device manager
>>
>>53793087
I don't think I have any cds to make the bootdisc, but I think I can run memtest from a usb so guess I'll give it a shot.

>>53793190
Oh right, disabling the GPU display adapter also works as well as uninstalling it. It's only when it's installed and running that I get the crashes. But I'm stuck on a stretched 4:3 aspect ratio without the driver.
>>
>>53793087
memtest came up clean
>>
>>53792870
You're right, your GPU is borked. Next time don't ruin the APU with a dedicated GPU. In fact, never get a laptop with a dedicated GPU again. You're adding another hot, power hungry chip in a cramped space with little cooling and limited power, it's inevitable that it'll fry itself. No, newer ones are not better. They use the increased efficiency to give better performance at the same absurdly high temperature.
>>
>>53792870
>AMD crossfireX
Should've invested in a laptop cooling pad before you started playing vidya on that shit.
>>
>>53795309
>Memes
All laptop GPUs are housefires. No exceptions.
>>
>>53795408
Not even the 30 lb "gayman laptops" that are specially designed to vent crazy amounts of heat?
>>
>>53794991
Well fudge. I didn't think it was running particularly hot on the day it crashed. Not moreso than usual at least. If only I'd called it a night instead of playing another round.

Oh well. I'll see what I can salvage I guess. It's supposed to have 2 gpus, so if the 6520 is still working, maybe I can force it to only run on that one? Might explain why sometimes I can start it up fine.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.