[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UBUNTU WON
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 15
File: 1459315669026.jpg (93 KB, 1986x994) Image search: [Google]
1459315669026.jpg
93 KB, 1986x994
GAME OVER
>>
YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP
>>
looks like windows won.

the cli tools were the biggest advantage to linux imho. it just makes developing shit so much easier than windows.

now that it's available on windows, ubuntu will lose a shit load of developers. people will start asking themselves why they even need to run linux if everything just werks.
>>
Wat happen?
>>
>>53777718

freetards gnu/btfo as usual.
>>
>>53777718
windows 10 will use bash instead of powershell from the next big update. and it will be possible to use any linux software on it
>>
>>53777710
no it's year of the lxcore.sys desktop
>>
>>53777712
It's just like Cygwin OOTB at the end of the day , so not a huge change, but welcome indeed, especially for IT.
>>
>>53777754

will thumbnail preview stop working in the file picker?
>>
>>53777890
top kek
>>
>>53777856
Not really. It's basically like WINE.
>>
>>53777856
it's more than that, it can run linux binaries as if it was running on bare metal. you get shells, package managers, all the tools you can find... cygwin was just a different shell for windows.
>>
So I can make an application for Linux and it'll just werk on Windows... Why fuck would I ever write a Windows application again?
>>
>>53777890
10/10
>>
>>53777712

No, Ubuntu won. Microsoft had to bow down to superior Ubuntu because developers prefer Ubuntu.

This is also great for desktop Linux because Windows/OSX apps can now be ported over FASTER AND EASIER THAN EVER BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINE is obsolete. Win32 binaries can be converted to .deb now.
>>
>>53777934
>Why fuck would I ever write a Windows application again?
mom dies and u have to start paying for your own tendies
>>
>tmux is not working at this point
>no graphical stuff, since it's for developers.

What's the probability of someone getting a X graphical server working anyways in an unofficial way?

Also, tune in to the stream at for more info and Q&A.
https://channel9.msdn.com/?wt.mc_id=build_hp
>>
>>53777928
> it can run linux binaries as if it was running on bare metal
I thought they were just porting Bash and some tools, not making Windows itself POSIX compliant.
>>
File: Windex.jpg (47 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Windex.jpg
47 KB, 1000x1000
>>53777690
What a twist.

Year of the Linux desktop through Windows assimilating Linux and vice versa. I call it Windex.

Well, it'll certainly make system administration across platforms a lot easier.

Call me a shill but I kinda like this Nadella guy. In many ways he's the polar opposite of Ballmer.
>>
File: 1448071008997.gif (507 KB, 318x212) Image search: [Google]
1448071008997.gif
507 KB, 318x212
So this is what MS wanted, you write your software under UWA and you can run it in Linux? it's like Java done right.
>>
>1994: NT will be the Unix killer
>2016: we are turning NT into Unix
>>
>>53777944
>This is also great for desktop Linux because Windows/OSX apps can now be ported over FASTER AND EASIER THAN EVER BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's not a two way street asswipe. microsoft >apps still won't work on ubuntu
>>
>>53777890
Will my sides stop orbiting the galaxy?
>>
>>53777993
If that's what happens, Microsoft could potentially win the language war with c#.

Nothing is built for production in c# on Linux because mono won't run all the shitty proprietary crap Microsoft puts out. If they fix that, c#, the objectively better server language, wins.
>>
>>53778012
Linux already won in almost every market, even personal computers.

Windows is better off with partial compatibility so it doesn't die quickly.
>>
>>53778044
> If that's what happens, Microsoft could potentially win the language war with c#.
Probably not, the compelling reason to use C# is not there, in particular on the library side it is so weak in comparison.

And while I'd agree it has better syntax than Java, so do a lot of Java-compatible JVM languages. Everyone who cared about that advantage is already using these languages.
>>
>>53777890
kek'd
>>
File: 1451574541150.gif (73 KB, 1000x303) Image search: [Google]
1451574541150.gif
73 KB, 1000x303
Microsoft: .NET is open source
>Microsoft Change lmao
Microsoft: Our Javascript engine is open source.
>They're trying to trick us
Microsoft: Our SQL can run on Linux
>WTF is happening
Microsoft: Native ELF executable, linux system call emulation auto-magically
>mfw
>>
>>53777986
from what i read they're capturing system calls so yeah essentially making it POSIX compliant
>>
>>53778072
>Linux already won in almost every market, even personal computers.

Are you really, really, really fucking high?

Yeah, servers run it, but PCs? Toppest of all the keks that ever was, and ever will be.
>>
File: 1458947294844.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1458947294844.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>53778044
So this is the end-game of Visual Studio for Linux and building Linux software from Windows's VS.
That could be great, C#+C++ is great, no more shitty hipster langs anymore.
>>
>>53778135
>from what i read they're capturing system calls so yeah essentially making it POSIX compliant
I'll have to see this to believe it.
It just sounds unreal.
>>
>>53777890
kek
>>
>>53778137
Smartphones are the most used (most widely used numerically, most used by time share) personal computers. And Linux the kernel dominates them.

Desktop is a Windows hold-out, but it has much, much lessened in importance for personal computing.
>>
File: eee.jpg (55 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
eee.jpg
55 KB, 638x479
Don't fall for the Microsoft EEE meme..
>>
File: saveme.gif (3 MB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
saveme.gif
3 MB, 280x200
I see a lot of people saying "Linux ded" or a variant of that, but isn't it actually the opposite?

If I understood correctly until now to develop a program for Windows and Linux you needed to develop two separate binaries, while thanks to GNU/Windows™ you can now just make a Linux binary and it will work in both. Since less work is needed, more people will do it and that means more programs that aren't Windows-only.
>>
>>53778203

ah, I see, but a personal computer, or PC, is a desktop, you can't go calling a phone a PC. My fridge has a processor, but I don't call it a personal computer. Your use of that terminology is incorrect pal.
>>
>>53777690
it's ober. ngidia is binished
>>
>>53778016
he's implying that he'll be using the NT kernel
>>
>>53778230
Your fridge's processor is a processor. It doesn't really have a an use in personal computing. It usually just does one or a few things on the fridge.

Your smartphone is a full computer in every sense, and if it is anywhere near recent, it's a pretty powerful one, too...
>>
>>53777690
This is actually pretty amazing. I'd love to have proper Bash even on my Windows machines.
>>
>>53777690
but will it run
 rm -f / 

?
>>
finally i can use GNU without linux. This is all I have ever wanted it.
I wall call this baby GNU+NT.
>>
or... you can just a linux distro because they're better
>>
>>53778373
nah, think of the man hours brah. pajeet gets paid $$$ to labour over this so he is HIGHLY motivated.

NEETs get tired of making things better in linux. When it merely 'functions' that's when the motivation stops.
>>
>>53778373
I would, but driver problems, senpai.
>>
>>53778210
>the Microsoft EEE meme..

Technically it is Google using it today.
>>
This is cool as fuck. Literally the best thing to happen to windows since XP.
>>
>debotnet Windows 10
>replace the horrid start menu and fragmented as fuck UI
>get 10/10 operating system
If only...
>>
>>53778450
it will be replaced with Unity
>>
File: apt.png (24 KB, 952x499) Image search: [Google]
apt.png
24 KB, 952x499
Everything will works out of the box natively..
>I want it nowww!
>>
>>53778418
>muh games
Who cares?
>>
>>53777731
hello shitposter!
>>
>>53778479
me when i feel like i need to unwind once or twice a day
>>
>>53778506
Read a book / watch a movie - better results.
>>
>>53778519
That's personal preference. I don't think you can convince someone to like the same things as you do.
>>
>>53778575
Sure, but maybe video games are a little immature for an adult and very time consuming.

Also did it seem like I forced you or told you there is no other way than my way? Why don't you learn to properly listen to someone. It was just a suggestion.
>>
>>53777690
Ubuntu won? Are you kidding me, I just lost all reason to use Ubuntu. The only reason I've been begrudgingly keeping a Linux install on a spare drive is for when I need to use the terminal. I have no idea why Canonical was willing to help MS like this. Canonical *had* to get something out of this that we just haven't seen yet. Not that I'm not excited, I'm fucking stoked, but I don't see how anybody would switch from Windows to Linux, now.
>>
Fun fact: windows already supports a POSIX superset for ages
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_Services_for_UNIX
>>
>>53778596
if you're wanting to unwind, chances are that you don't want to me doing something that's intellectually tolling. That's the whole point.
>>
>>53778640

You're really really really dumb. See >>53777944
>>
>>53778309

Cannot remove /. Is directory.
>>
>>53778644
Whoops, German and mobile view
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX
>>
>>53778596
I know you were only suggesting but switching to linux is basically the same thing as being forced out of gaming (unless you have a dedicated machine for each). And games are the only thing keeping me from not switching over completely to a linux distro.
>>
>>53778673
Aren't video games just requiring most regions of your brain to work? This is what most of researches claim - it pretty much overloads your brain, keeps it in maximum tension / workload. Sure you hardly learn new stuff but you use it pretty intense, at best you sharpen your attention with shooters - sure with other costs.
>>
>>53778728
Dual boots offer full hardware usage for w/e os you choose booting - if you go with that you can't go wrong, the faster you set it up - the faster your get used to it and becomes second nature.
>>
>>53777914
not even close kiddo
>>
>>53777959
moms dont die stupid how would the world continue
>>
>>53778736
it certainly doesn't require a deep level of thought - not by any means.
This is why you feel lethargic, tired and intellectually understimulated if you over do them.
>>
>>53778755
Oh, I do dual boot already. But it would be miles better to always be on the same OS for everything, be that Windows, Linux or whatever works better.
>>
I'm genuinely happy about this.
>>
>>53777690
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Windows is, in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows. Windows NT is not an operating system unto itself, but rather a proprietary component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
>>53778789
>it certainly doesn't require a deep level of thought - not by any means
Try playing SpaceChem or TIS-100 and come back to that statement.
>>
>>53778789
Based on the studies I've read the lethargy you describe is caused by the violence in the games, but don't think your brain is less active, it's super active during gaming. This was shown on brain scans over and over again.
>>
>>53778476
>Ubuntu on Windows - Not BASH on Windows
>Ubuntu logo

Confirmed for a glorified VM
>>
>>53778203
>Linux the kernel
It's based on the linux kernel but keep in mind google owns android now so it's pretty much spyware at this point.
>>
>>53778815

It's confirmed for not a VM
>>
>>53778814
you're dumb if you think games require a deep level of thought. attention maybe but that's it.
>>
>>53778229
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Windows added, or GNU/Windows. All the so-called “Windows” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Windows.
>>
>>53778832
Depends if you're playing a game that requires theory crafting.
>>
>>53778832
Contemplating something is not synonymous with using most of your brain regions.

Don't just jump like some 12 years old and listen - even when you sleep during REM stage your brain is in full load, are you thinking of something then? Hard to say - are you having any profound thoughts, are you doing some abstract mathematics sure not... working on something which society brainwashed us to think it's thought provoking or smart does not implies you use all your brain doing so or otherwise if you're not experiencing those things you're not using your brain at all.

Based on the biology of your brain, your brain is very very involved during video games, the whole of it.
>>
>>53777777
>>
>>53778825
Pretty sure it is a POSIX layer a la Cygwin, only native (built directly on top of the NT kernel, rather than on top of the existing windows API)
>>
>>53778309
 rm -f /* 

bruh
>>
The aim of the project is to provide first-class support for the open-source command line tools that developers love, from python to apt to vim, natively on the Windows desktop.

Yes, native Ubuntu binaries running on the Windows desktop. No virtual machine, no container, no Cygwin trickery.

All the tricksy ploys that the “old” Microsoft is so regularly accused of playing against Linux were, clearly, not successful.
>>
>>53778908
>>53778309
Can't remove directories without recursive flag.
>>
File: GNU Radio.jpg (69 KB, 991x539) Image search: [Google]
GNU Radio.jpg
69 KB, 991x539
>>53777690
When I can run this without error and libusb support, I'll go out and buy 3 copies of W10Pro without any further hesitation.
>>
>>53778895
>POSIX layer a la Cygwin

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see >>53778922
>>
>>53778875
I can say for a fact that the glucose uptake of my brain is SUBSTANTIALLY higher when I'm studying physics or maths than when I'm playing a game.
>>
Ubuntu on Windows 10 is actually an endorsement of open-source ethic. It’s Microsoft saying “you got it right, we got it wrong.”

Microsoft, erstwhile king of yore, cannot build an attractive developer experience without Linux.
>>
>>53778940
Did you stop reading my post at the moment you saw "cygwin"?

I went on to explain " like cygwin, except native"
>>
more than ever windows need a good terminal emulator.
>>
>>53777777
>>
File: Seinfeld Ciger10.jpg (10 KB, 288x306) Image search: [Google]
Seinfeld Ciger10.jpg
10 KB, 288x306
>>53777890
>>
>>53777690
Just spy my shit up senpai.
I don't even care anymore.
>>
>>53778687
You're wrong. Ubuntu lost. It'll be forgotten now that it's inutile. Only Debian will survive.
>>
sounds more like wincucks lost 2bh
>their OS is so shut they need to steal parts of another
topkek

>>53777777
>>
>>53778965
>>53779199
Thanks for the beta testing, freetards
>>
>>53778640
If that was the real reason you would had been using Cygwin or any of the alternatives in Windows
Stop lying Pajeet
>>
>>53778072
Except it didn't, server wise they are basically obliterated by any *nix OS, in the mobile market Android obliterates everyone else
The desktop is their only stronghold, and it's dying
>>
>>53777989
He's just following the Embrace, Extend, Extinguish mantra.
>>
>>53778815
They're keeping the Ubuntu name to smear it and eventually kill it.
>>
Won't there be some licensing conflict since Ubuntu is FOSS?
>>
>>53777976
99%. Xwin32 exists already, and it's not great but someone will have it working with a local x server in no time, and later someone else will make a proper X client for GNU + windows
>>
Imagine what chaos will be possible when you enable the most vulnerable OS, with the largest collection of powerful Linux software utilities. System crackers, malware writers, and M$ themselves will be raping the shit out of your networks from the inside.

Winux / Winbuntu = The most powerful Trojan Horse ever built.
Get ready for the shit storm...
>>
say whatever you want

ms still made a reverse wine implementation that works with 1:1 performance, still bretty gud
>>
>>53778450
why not just make a win 10 desktop enviroment for linux and then have all game and app developers use APIs available on linux and then ???? profit
>>
>>53777890
Canonical, not Red Hat.
>>53778772
It translates system calls and spoofs the OS. Sounds like WINE to me. A closed source, inverse wine.
>>
>>53779675
This OR the NT kernel is actually based on Linux and the work was already pretty much done
>>
>>53779734
Honestly, why did anyone start using DirectX anyway? Did it have any performance improvement compared to alternative methods for games programming?

Fuck id. They ruined it for everyone by licensing out their software to MS.
>>
>>53779675
It's not hard to make a decent wrapper when you have enough resources and you don't have to reverse engineer anything
>>
>>53779792
Simpler and more video game oriented than OpenGL, more and better features than MiniGL/Glide, and open to manufacturers to implement unlike Glide
It also got the edge on video game oriented features for a while since OpenGL development has always been slow as fuck
>>
>>53778851
>windows is a free component
Fix the first line there, pastafag.
>>
>>53779792
OpenGL is a goddamn mess, and whatever is made on it ends being slower indeed.
>>
>>53779792
Pretty sure mirosoft just used money to their advantage and shilled their garbage to everyone.
>>
>>53777777
>>
>>53779643
My god, do you ever read what you write? How are you not aware of how stupid you sound and how much bullshit you are spouting. I feel embarrassed for you -- and I really shouldn't.
>>
>>53779792
Because early on, DX8 and 9 were far superior to opengl, allowing games to be made faster. get games done faster, the less the company has to pay devs per game. Now that Vulkan and DX12 are basically at parity, and Vulkan can also work for other OSes, this may finally start to slowly reverse itself.
>>
>>53778012
Yea, but do remember that back when MSDOS first became a thing, they wanted to develop a Unix variant for IBM instead. MSDOS was just meant to score points with IBM, and buy them time to sell them on Unix. In a sense this is them finally moving towards their original goal.
>>
>>53778819
Spyware it may be, but its linux.
>>
linux world is not comfy again. meh.
>>
File: GNU plus Hotness.jpg (128 KB, 630x351) Image search: [Google]
GNU plus Hotness.jpg
128 KB, 630x351
>>53777710
>YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Did someone say...YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP?!

Sexy Penguin lady....TAKE IT AWAY!!!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm7oor_you-should-install-linux_lifestyle
>>
It will fail.
>>
>>53778476
>apt-get
lmao, enjoy the worst package manager
>>
File: 1276120254300.jpg (40 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
1276120254300.jpg
40 KB, 247x248
>>53777890
>>
Win Win
>>
>>53779872

Certain things seem implausible, until someone does them, even if my phrasing was not to your satisfaction. That said, I would not be so quick to dismiss the ingenuity and creativity of a highly motivated, and skilled individual or group to exploit this new paradigm.
>>
CananaCuck would not help m$ without m$ giving something back.
>inb4 windows apps work on ubuntu natively
>inb4 in order to use it you must have a windows key
>inb4 proprietary
>inb4 year of the loonix desktop
>>
>>53777690
i wonder if when it gets released to public there will be a flood of memes about windows turning WINE to water...
>>
>>53780641
Hmm.. Linux will still need wine for games. - The majority of what wine is used for (other then ps and msoffice)
We can hope that something like >>53780451
will come about.
>>
>>53777712
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Windows, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Windows added, or GNU/Windows. All the so-called Windows distributions are really distributions of GNU/Windows!
>>
>>53777944
It's embrace extend extinguish you idiot. Do you know your history?
>>
>>53778210

we are fucked, they are in phase 1. Their plan to eliminate open source software has begun!
>>
finally, we will be able to do:

sudo aptitude install Crysis
>>
>For the last decade, every developer who is not purely a Windows developer has picked up a MacBook for the sole reason of having BSD under the hood. If you’re looking for a reason Apple is popular with devs, it’s *nix under the hood. This announcement changes all of that.

APPLE IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

MACFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
NEWS: Bash is now an Ubuntu Product.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.