[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD And Other Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: OpenSSH_logo.png (28 KB, 194x191) Image search: [Google]
OpenSSH_logo.png
28 KB, 194x191
*BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, PC-BSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS...

IRC: irc.rizon.net #baot

News: http://freebsdnews.net | http://undeadly.org | http://dragonflydigest.com

Are you a Linux user wondering about why someone might choose BSD?
Give this a read: https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

Ask questions, get answers.
>>
Recently installed OBSD.

I have some issues with firefox. Poor (html5) video performance and the volume control for the videos doesn't work.
Additionally Ctrl+A doesn't work in text fields (like this post field). It seems that Ctrl+a is overwritten with a hot-key by OBSD (jump to beginning of line?).

Also are there any resources explaining OBSD from a devs perspective?
I'm not a skilled programmer (yet) but I've gotten interested in low level programming and would like to contribute to drivers/the kernel.
>>
>>53771044
The Ctrl+A thing is because GTK+2 on OpenBSD defaults to the Emacs keybindings, where Ctrl+A is indeed "seek to the start of line". To change it, you need to put

gtk-key-theme-name = "Default"

in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
>>
>>53771635
I dont have a .gtkrc-2.0 config file and I use i3 as wm, but I tried it anyway.
Didn't work.
The thing is that that keybind also exists outside of the X environment. I tried it in a console.
>>
What terminal emulator do you use?
>>
>>53772429
xterm but i tested it in one of the ttyC screens.
>>
>>53772072
The window manager doesn't matter (unless it's intercepting keybinds, of course) since Firefox uses GTK+ internally. Strange that it didn't work; I don't think Firefox has upgraded to GTK+3 yet in general, much less on OpenBSD. Perhaps I misremembered the syntax; you'll have to Google around.

And the same happens in the console because the default shell is also configured to use the Emacs keybindings by default. It's not some kernel intercept if that's what you're thinking.

The volume thing might be, if you're using multimedia keys to control the volume, since the OpenBSD kernel DOES intercept those to control the system mixer, but it should also let those keypresses trickle down to the software. (I learned this the hard way when using volume keys to control mpv adjusted both mpv's internal and the system mixer.)
>>
>>53773778
Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose its best if I get used to the emacs keybindings then, since they're also used in the shell.

>multimedia keys
no sorry, I wasnt clear enough.
I was referring to the buttons of the youtube video player that let you control the volume and the rather new feature of firefox to mute all sounds coming from a tab.
>>
I'm trying out OpenBSD as a firewall.

Is there a way to restrict SSH logins to use SSH keys only for a specific interface, but allow password logins for others?
>>
>>53771044
Are you on 5.9 yet? Shit has fantastic scheduler improvements. HTML5 video goes the fuck like sanic.
>>
>>53774016
Works on my machine desu fampai
>>
Is it just me or do a lot of BSD users use Mac OS X?
>>
I bought a Panda PAU06 usb wireless adapter for FreeBSD, but I can't get it to work. It uses the ralink RT5372 chipset, which should be supported by the run(4) drivers. Wat do?
>>
>>53775976
Yes, FreeBSD and Apple share code.
>>
now that OpenBSD 5.9 is release, should I do a fresh install from a snapshot or from the 5.9 release directory on the ftp servers?
>>
>>53771044
Yeah this anon is right >>53771635

It's a GTK problem. Same shit happens to me on Linux too sometimes.

It might be GTK3, too. Go to /etc/gtk-3.0 and see if you have a settings.ini file there. If it doesn't exist, create it and add this:

[Settings]
gtk-key-theme-name = "Default"

Yes, the [Settings] part is important or else it shits out errors, I fucking HATE GTK, why the FUCK is this so undocumented?

As for the video performance, are you running it in a VM? I get terrible performance with OpenBSD in VMs in general.
>>
>>53777635
Snapshot will give you -current, aka unstable.

The 5.9 release is frozen.
>>
>>53779044
Thanks. Nice dubs.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.