[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Living in 2016 is a nightmare. There is no good desktop OS available
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: hell_forever_and_ever.jpg (118 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
hell_forever_and_ever.jpg
118 KB, 413x310
Living in 2016 is a nightmare. There is no good desktop OS available today.

>Windows 10 is adware and spyware and is forced upon users of previous Windows versions whether they comply to it or not
>OS X is casual, sterilised shit
>Linux is still just a hobby OS for nerds that doesn't just werk

Why oh why can't we return to the glory days of Windows 7? That OS was just perfect but Microsoft is actively pulling users out of it and into its Windows 10 hellhole.
>>
File: 1453340218208.png (127 KB, 275x213) Image search: [Google]
1453340218208.png
127 KB, 275x213
>mfw still using Windows 7
>mfw knowing plebs out there for the "its free!" meme and are now paying the price of a shitty OS full of spyware
>>
File: ss9.png (354 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss9.png
354 KB, 1920x1080
>>53769259

>Linux is still just a hobby OS for nerds that doesn't just werk
>>
>>53769259
>being this full on pleb
>>
File: 1456252005610.jpg (186 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1456252005610.jpg
186 KB, 690x460
>unbloat and remove all Spyware on the first day I got windows 10 during the summer of last year
>laugh at posts every day on /g/ of people crying over they can't use Windows because of the spying.

Kek, it wouldn't be so sad and pathetic if it didn't take just 2 minutes with a couple of programs.
>>
>>53769361
>actually thinking your scripts do anything
>not knowing even with scripts the OS is still collecting data
>not knowing those scripts get undone every update, even if you do some shitty hack to disable updates, the OS will find a way around it
>>
>>53769361
>he thinks he can remove all the spyware and adware
you only removed the tip of the iceberg
>>
>>53769403
Nice unsubstantiated claims. All that shit you just posted is meaningless.
>>53769414
I blocked it and the calls to Microsoft servers disappeared. Works on my machine.
>>
>>53769259
>living is suffering

try living in a third world shithole. but i'm sure your lack of good OS is more troublesome
>>
>>53769361
G is now mostly full of Tech illiterate retards that are incapable of forming their own opinions. Posting old, outdated web links and memes to continually confirm that their bias is correct.
>>
>>53769427
>hyperbole
>figurative speech
>>
Instead of complaining, why don't you just install Windows 7 and then use it until the end of time?

You mean you can't figure out how to stop the Windows 10 update? Seriously? You call Linux a "hobby OS for nerds" and you can't figure out automatic updates in Windows?
>>
Install openSUSE with KDE Plasma 5 and enjoy your good desktop computer, OP
>>
If someone posts a method to show without a doubt windows is still spying on me, I'll believe it. If the method doesn't work on my machine, then it's not enough proof for me.

I also am behind a pfsense router, which I am also willing to use to test a method to see if windows still spies on me.
>>
>>53769440
i'm sorry my autism speaks.
>>
>>53769436
Exactly. I stopped all Microsoft spying by running a few scripts. I can now play all my video games. Linux is for fucking faggots.
>>
>>53769476
Why when you could install Fedora with Mate
>>
>linux
>hobby OS

have you ever written a single line of code?
>>
>>53769475
>You call Linux a "hobby OS for nerds" and you can't figure out automatic updates in Windows?
Well, he isn't contradicting himself with those two sentiments.
>>
>>53769259
>literally runs supercomputers and powers the space station, in addition to being the core of Android
>Linux is still just a hobby OS for nerds that just doesn't werk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Cw65TGA84
>>
>>53769259
>Windows 10 is adware and spyware and is forced upon users of previous Windows versions whether they comply to it or not
Not really, nobody is forcing you to install it.
>>
>>53769507
Who cares about code, I use computers for video games.
>>
>>53769548
Super computers and space stations are hobbyist bullshit for nerds
>>
>>53769553
>>>/v/
>>
>>53769565
Savage
>>
>>53769572
>implying anyone on /g/ can program
Enjoy your special snowflake OS. Call me when you get it to work.
>>
>>53769598
>special snowflake OS
Except it has very high usage among actual tech people.

>when you get it to work
I've been running the same Gentoo install since 2008.
>>
File: 1458526785000.jpg (8 KB, 250x225) Image search: [Google]
1458526785000.jpg
8 KB, 250x225
>>53769629
>installing Gentoo means you know technology
>falling for the meme OS like any newfag would
wew lad
>>
>>53769423
Please provide a Wireshark scan screenshot of the outgoing Internet traffic on your machine.
>>
>>53769259
OP has never written code, ever. Bash blows Powershell out of the water almost every time. Not to mention that development tools for Linux are free and practically integrated into the operating system. There is no better environment for C programming than a Unix system developed by Thompson and Ritchie in tandem with the language.

Excerpt, "Learn C the hard way" by Zed Shaw:

http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/ex0.html

>In this chapter you get your system setup to do C programming. The good news for anyone using Linux or Mac OSX is that you are on a system designed for programming in C. The authors of the C language were also instrumental in the creation of the Unix operating system, and both Linux and OSX are based on Unix. In fact, the install will be incredibly easy.

>I have some bad news for users of Windows: learning C on Windows is painful. You can write C code for Windows, that's not a problem. The problem is all of the libraries, functions, and tools are just a little "off" from everyone else in the C world. C came from Unix and is much easier on a Unix platform. It's just a fact of life that you'll have to accept I'm afraid.

>I wanted to get this bad news out right away so that you don't panic. I'm not saying to avoid Windows entirely. I am however saying that, if you want to have the easiest time learning C, then it's time to bust out some Unix and get dirty. This could also be really good for you, since knowing a little bit of Unix will also teach you some of the idioms of C programming and expand your skills.

>For Windows users I'll show you how to get a basic Ubuntu Linux system up and running in a virtual machine so that you can still do all of my exercises, but avoid all the painful Windows installation problems. [WIP]
>>
>>53769673
Ok I will when I get home from the DMV
>>
File: 1459266287060.png (164 KB, 596x689) Image search: [Google]
1459266287060.png
164 KB, 596x689
>>53769673
>implying the kernel doesn't hide that traffic from sniffing

He needs to sniff from the router
>>
>>53769723
I have pfsense so I can check.
>>
>>53769723
my router smells fine stfu
>>
>>53769674
I was expecting that to be from a pretty old book given those statements, but it's only from the middle of last year. It's shocking that someone can be so misinformed in 2016.

Programming modern C in Windows is much easier now than it has even been in the past. These days there is MinGW which is pretty great, Cygwin which is cumbersome but okay, PellesC which has formidable support and even MSVC has improved their C support a great deal in the past few years. I think LLVM/Clang is available on Windows as well, but I don't know much about it.

Sure Linux offers easier package management and a wide assortment of tools as standard, but none of that is completely necessary for C.

It's important for people to understand the difference between what's actually C and what's provided by the OS. This is probably the big flaw in this guy's reasoning. It's like writing a book about the Windows API, calling it standard C and deriding all the other operating systems for not having it.

Haven't used OSX at all for C so can't really comment on that, although I'm surprised it's considered equal to Linux. OSX is ideal for C because it's originally based on UNIX? That statement on its own seems like a big red flag.
>>
>>53769629
>Linux has high usage amongst actual Tech people

No, Tech people use whatever their work forces them to.
>>
>>53770261
>Sure Linux offers easier package management
No, it doesn't. Linux allocates, that's what a kernel does, nothing more.
>>
>>53769259
Windows 10 is neither adware nor spyware if you have a brain and know how to configure it, but it seems like you don't have one.
>>
>>53769331
yes it is
>>
>>53769259
well Windows 10 is not forced upon users and works perfectly on my PC but what you said it's true
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.