[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ Which is better and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: startpage vs duckduckgo.png (71 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
startpage vs duckduckgo.png
71 KB, 640x400
/g/ Which is better and why?
>>
which one is more obscure while still being like google?

i want to use a service that when other people ask me about it i can say "oh it's this really small thing you've probably never heard of it" and then bask in the contrived sense of smug superiority.
>>
Startpage is miles ahead
its just a bit slow to load up results
>>
Startpage is Dutch. The country without backdoors, without decryption orders, and no legal obligation to store data as they arent an ISP.

Dogdoggo is from the USA. Where all tech companies get extorted to fight terrorism and get gagging orders.
>>
>>53769387
This pretty much.
The safer one is StartPage imo, they jewgle for you. And the feds can't barge into a dutch building and ask for records right away especially for all users, and that's just what they choose to give them.
>>
>>53769446
I remember the Dutch took Megaupload down on American request. The FBI wanted to investigate the data. But the fbi refused to pay the hosting bill to keep the data so Leaseweb just deleted it all. Which was pretty funny.
>>
One has a duck who smiles at you, so you know and I know, people with actual sense, that it is good
>>
File: 1424286913660.png (88 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1424286913660.png
88 KB, 1280x1024
>Trust me I'm a duck
>>
Start Page is better.
I still use ddg for bangs though.
>>
>>53770278
Also Startpage doesn't have a quick search.
>>
>>53770486
>quick search > muh freedoms
why?
>>
>>53769132
i use searx that i run on my own server. guaranteed freedoms.
>>
>not using diconnect
>>
SP is Google through proxy, same results, just not personalized / based on your search history and location

While DDG is its own search and i like it, but it sucks, i never find what i'm looking for and end up with SP
>>
I want a search engine that I can configure myself. The main thing I want is for the most relevant Wikipedia result to ALWAYS be at the top. How can I do this?

I've heard good things about searx, but I have no idea how to use it. Is there a guide to setting it up?

>>53769164
Startpage. DDG is quite popular, actually.
>>
>>53769710
I dunno why but this makes me laugh so much, I am doomed.
>>
>>53769164
hipster
>>
>>53769387
>The country without backdoors, without decryption orders, and no legal obligation to store data as they arent an ISP
That you know of.
>>
>>53772886
It's quite well documented what happens in the Netherlands and where the boundaries as of yet are.
>>
>>53770552
This is the only good nigger with a good reply in this thread.
>>
>>53769132
Tried running duckduckgo but couldn't stand more than a few hours then I switched back to using google..... Fuck me
>>
>>53769132
None. Use searx. The only engine that actually delivers the source code.
>>
>>53773242
Yep fuck you.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.