[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>still shipping KDE 4 >no plasma >most popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: mint.jpg (6 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
mint.jpg
6 KB, 225x224
>still shipping KDE 4
>no plasma
>most popular
>>
KDE 5.x is still a buggy, unfinished mess that lost features for no good reason. Obviously nobody learned from the 4.0 - ~4.6 period. I've given up on KDE. The whole Frameworks thing is causing *huge* problems for distros too.
>>
Linux is gay
>>
>>53768748
Why is that?
Wtf is happening with KDE?
Are they tryng the tactics to "sell" it just by visual looks while inner workings are all fucked up and bugged?
>>
shut up jordan
>>
>>53768748
KDE works great. I suggest you try another distro.
>>
>>53768837
On which distro does it work great? Fedora is out of question.
>>
>>53768810

Limited manpower (e.g. GNOME has more paid developers) combined with rewriting lots of stuff again. Baloo is just as undesirable as Neopomuk was, and disabling it caused my desktop to crash every time I use krunner. Literally unusable shit. Multi monitors were broken for ages too.

>>53768837

Most of my issues are/were upstream issues. I simply can't trust KDE anymore. Can't wait for all the breakages next time they decide to rewrite shit.
>>
>KDE 5
Sentenced to death by bugs
>>
>>53768837
From my experience only OpenSUSE and Manjaro handle KDE well
>>
>>53768960
not AQ again
>>
>>53768591
>most popular
It's not.
>>
>>53768960
Meanwhile, Cinnamon has gotten consistently better with each release. To be fair, they had a lot more low hanging fruit, because Cinnamon was so rough for so long. It surprised me how noticeable the 2.4 to 2.6 reduction in idle cpu use and memory was.
>>
>>53768591
>MINT IS OUT OF DAAAAAAAATE
Yes, thank you. That's what happens when you're not a rolling distro.
>>
>>53769048
but being out of date for this long doesnt even make you stable distro, it makes you windows millenium distro
>>
>>53769037
I refuse to consider Cinnamon good until they get a vertical panel. And Win7 style taskbar icons perhaps.
>>
>>53769059
I dig it. We all have our metrics for what we thing is acceptable. It's all preference and yours are just as valid as mine or anyone else's.

My threshold for finally liking Cinnamon was twofold:
1. When their OOTB hotkey customization was sufficient for my needs.
2. When they began supporting panels on multiple monitors.

I would still really like to see an easy option to remove window decorations, but that's more aesthetic than functional and I'm sure I could find a way if I cared enough.
>>
Old software is stable software. Not shipping a new project until its been fully tested and had all the kinks worked out is just good design especially for "user friendly" distros like Mint.
>>
>>53769192
>implying xfce,cinnamon, etc. dont have bugs and thus unstable...
>>
>>53768591
>still shipping KDE 4
>no plasma
Not a priority, it's a small project.
>most popular
Lmao no it isn't.
Distrowatch hits per day is irrelevant when it comes to real world usage, Ubuntu is still king.
>>
>>53769192
Why is that a good thing? Stable software is not bug free software, especially if upstream doesn't support it anymore. These bugs could be security exploits. As your stable version diverges further and further from upstream you have to put more and more trust in package maintainers to backport more and more fixes, and these people do not know the software as well as the developers do, and they may have to look after dozen of packages at the same time.
>>
Would 5.6 change anything? Will KDE get more stable with the new release? And also, would KDE Neon help the cause? Any ideas?
>>
>>53768928
not him but works excellent on arch
>>
>>53769765
KDE plasma is still useless piece of unstable and bugged shit and they start a new project? lmao KDE devs are bunch of hipsters
>>
>>53769849
Yup. Don't forget they have Plasma Mobile going too... and they're doing the Wayland port while a major rewrite is happening. No wonder it's such a mess.
>>
>>53768591
Who uses Mint for KDE anyway?
Mint is to be used with Mate or Cinnamon
>>
>>53768928
It's actually Fedora lel
>>
Kubuntu was nothing but problems for me, but Plasma runs fine on Arch.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.