[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it normal for a Linux expert(power user) to use so-called
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: tux_noob4-scale2.png (99 KB, 572x544) Image search: [Google]
tux_noob4-scale2.png
99 KB, 572x544
Is it normal for a Linux expert(power user) to use so-called "noob" distros like Ubuntu or Mint?
>>
>>53752925
Are you baiting me?.
>>
>>53752947
No dude, I'm just curious. I'm familiar to Linux but there is an opinion that distros like Arch or Gentoo are far better than Ubuntu/Mint. I'm asking this question to know that whether it's true or not.
>>
File: Screenshot-1.png (68 KB, 318x317) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1.png
68 KB, 318x317
there's already a thread for your troubles
>>
>>53753007
You realize that experts might actually use other persons computers (As in: They don't get to decide what OS runs on them) and not just their own PC at home?
>>
>>53753105
I'm talking about their main computers.
>>
File: 1422026195492.png (67 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1422026195492.png
67 KB, 700x700
>>53752925
Yes, because they just work and most "real" stuff has to be reliable.
At my old company we used either ubuntu, debian or centOS as linux server. Sometimes RHEL. Depended on the motherfucker who set it up.
>>
>>53753104
I'll check that thread out, thanks.
>>
>>53753132
What's a main computer?
>>
>>53753234
A PC or laptop that you use at home for programming or doing your daily stuff. BTW I'm not a native speaker, sorry if my sentence's wrong.
>>
Well using something like Ubuntu is will supported.
>>
>>53753105
you realize that's a very specific scenary, right, you cunt?

>>53753303
nevermind that faggot
>>
Most professionals I've interacted with IRL use "basic" distros and are cunts about it. One friend of mine on FB asked what a good desktop distro was, someone said arch, and then his other friend who does something linux related for his job came in and proceeded to talk shit on arch-users and gushed about how debian is for real adults. he recommended bunsen labs for desktop use

I did meet one guy who does something high-profile that used either slackware or gentoo (can't remember) with xmonad

I use arch but would be inclined to agree that generally for a work distro the less config you have to do the better-- more time to focus on getting shit done. Then again, my arch install has required zero effort for the past two years to maintain whereas every ubuntu/fedora/debian/etc install I've ever had needed to be babied or broke somewhere
>>
>>53752925
Ubuntu yes, Mint no.
>>
I've been using ubuntu since I started using linux 6-7 years ago. I want to try gentoo though.
>>
It's called not giving a fuck and using what suits your own needs

There might be a power user behind Ubuntu because he gets to the point where he can actually do his fucking job fine with it.
>>
>>53753364
Why?
>>
>>53753368
If you're using a UEFI supported computer, don't make the mistake I made and download a live cd for installition. Minimal ones don't support UEFI.
>>
Yes.

Only autistic manchildren use stuff like Arch & Gentoo.
>>
>>53753007
Do not install arch because it's more terminal based that's if you know what you're doing. Terminal based OS like this can do anything you really want and I mean everything. I don't know the rest of each OS but from what I heard recently related Linux OS are terminal based and some are less.

Also Dual booting is gay. Stick with virtualbox
>>
>>53752925
as a sys admin your desktop os doesent really matter.
you ssh/rdp to other maschiens anyway.

everybody use the system hes most confteble with on its desktop.

so yeah experts use ubuntu too.
many using fedora since they work with RHLE.

im the only one in my company useing arch.
but arch in genreall its widly common this days.
>>
>>53753398
I was thinking seriously about dual booting. What's wrong with htat?
>>
>>53752925
esxi and ccna and mte certs, admin,
I don't give a fuck, i use mostly use ubuntu kernel + cinnamon (or mate) or debian . Why should i care?
Does it really matters, all i care is to be secure and it provide me with that, and half of years of mostly meaningless feasters?
>>
>>53752925
Using noob distros makes you lame.
>>
>>53753458
Nope, OP here.
>>
>>53753132
>>53752925

Google is serious business enough for meeting your standards?

http://www.myce.com/news/a-look-at-googles-internal-desktop-os-goobuntu-72493/
>>
File: toothpaste.jpg (129 KB, 622x467) Image search: [Google]
toothpaste.jpg
129 KB, 622x467
>>53752925

different linux distros = the toothpaste aisle at walmart

so much false variety... in reality they are all 95% the same shit.
>>
>>53753350
It's not far fetched that experts actually have a job requiring them to use a computer, which often enough is not their own, so they have to follow the company policy.

That's not specific at all
>>
>>53753476
Sensodyne legitimately helps sensitive teeth
Or am I being a good goy?
>>
Strangely - all the other linux distros (even ubuntu) also have terminals. And they are just as capable as each other.

But that doesn't fit into the arch/gentoo secret hacker narrative, does it?
>>
>>53753509
nope, youre right
>>
>>53752925
the people using that term to describe those OS's are just kids that want to believe all their time sunken into their distros was not without merit.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.