[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: Lenovo Yoga 900S-1-970-80.jpg (45 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo Yoga 900S-1-970-80.jpg
45 KB, 970x545
This is my situation:
I need a laptop for uni because my old one is seven years old and a desktop replacement.
I'd like something mobile, silent and future proof.
I'm torn between the Dell XPS 13 9350 (8/256) and the Lenovo Yoga 900S (Core M7/8 GB/256)
What do you think?
I'm not getting a thinkpad.
>>
Sounds like you know what you're looking for and have options picked out. Why the fuck are you here?
>>
>silent
>Dell XPS 13 9350
pick uno
>>
File: 1457778976437.jpg (386 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1457778976437.jpg
386 KB, 1280x960
>>53748677
I thought you might add your opinion of these options and help me come to a decision.
>>
>future proof
the ram is soldered on the xps 13
you've already narrowed it down so just decided which one you want (get an xps 13 off dell outlet)
>>
>>53748687
I heard it was really quiet doing simple tasks which is something I could live with.
>>
get a rMBP if you dont want to hang around with spergs and autists :^)
>>
>>53748776
Well, it's not like I'm going to need more than 8 Gigs of RAM. I'm not into gaming or video editing.
I'm not sure if there's a dell outlet available for Germans. But there's a discount of 100 euros up until today.
>>
>>53748792
I've been on this board for too long I'm afraid.
>>
File: rukidnme.jpg (111 KB, 389x435) Image search: [Google]
rukidnme.jpg
111 KB, 389x435
>>53748652
>smoking the rolled jew
>ever
>>
>>53748652
get a thinkpad
>>
>>53748652
>because my computer is seven years old

Is it broken?
>>
yeah........
my campus still uses pentium II systems

> pentium 2, not " core 2 "
>>
>>53748652
Just get a Retina Macbook or rMBP, the former is the most mobile laptop you can get and fanless, the latter probably almost overspecced for your planned tasks but more powerful if you need that. Either of them will easy last you another 7 years and run like new all the time.

Neither Dell nor Lolnovo are known for quality or reliability for a reason.
>>
>>53748652
Get a chromebook and install Linux on it
>>
>>53748652
How about you get a cheapass used business laptop for notes and build a desktop with the remaining money. That way you have two computers, one that is portable and replaceable and one that is much more future proof and powerful than either of the laptops. It's objectively the right decision

If you don't take my advice then go for the XPS 13
>>
>>53749722
rMBP is the way to go, the macbook is a piece of shit
>>
>>53748652
dont listen to these turbo autists. just get something you feel would help you get work done well i/e: doing presentations, recreational use, doing work, etc. Personally, I'd go with the Lenovo Yoga just cuz flippy.
>>
Need major, what programs are you running?
>>
Ports are more important than apple would have you believe, especially if you're a uni student and might have to use other people's devices when they don't want to use your favorite "cloud" service (or don't know how to easily share the link if they do)

You want to buy something with multiple standard ports and HDMI or DVI and VGA (never only VGA), not something with two USB ports, mini displayport, and fucking firewire, so pretty much every macbook is out unless you want to be that huge fucking nerd that carries a sachel full of dongles and adapters.

>"Excuse me, guys, but my mac is a certified UNIX shystem heheh heheh"

>>53748837
the RAM will die

RAM
DIES

A computer with bad RAM does not boot. If it's soldered, you need a whole new fucking computer. If you are more work oriented than vidya gayme oriented, you don't need to upgrade as often as RAM goes bad.

Also avoid non-removable batteries. Batteries can die way before you would even consider upgrading in any situation.
>>
XPS 13 is a gamble. A lot of people get bad units. When it's a good unit, it's amazing.
>>
>>53748652
Damn your picks are so expensive and they provide identical stuff with price range 750 - 1000 usd.

Why so expensive? Because of the design???
>>
>desktop replacement
>options don't include gaymen laptop with SHITVIDIA™ 99999990M

So, you want a good laptop, but it doesn't have to have a powerful GPU?
why the fuck are you not buying a used T420/430 and sticking an SSD in it? (or T520/530 if you want 15") They are by far your best option.
>>
>>53748652
Thinkpad T460
>>
>>53748652
If you limit yourself to those two choices get the Dell XPS. The Core M is kinda shit.

That being said get a rMBP if you have the money and if you don't have the money get a used T430 (it might be a meme but its still a solid laptop faggot)
>>
>>53748652
rich people problems
>buy dell xps
>>
Stop posting this, make your own decisions
>>
>>53748652
XPS 15

X260

Tell us your major immediately so we can know which laptop for you.
>>
>>53749612
My old laptop is just not really up to the task of a student.
The battery life was up to two hours and there's a T6600 with a GT240M in there. As you can imagine needs change as you get older, so I'm no longer interested in discrete graphics or a 35 Watt processor. It also weighs 4 kgs if you're counting the powerbrick.
>>
>>53749722
>>53752021
Sorry, but I don't want to spend that kind of money.
And I've never owned an Apple device so I wouldn't benefit from their ecosystem.
>>
>>53748652
Thinkpad X220
>>
>>53753321
I've had a couple come through my office, the case feels solid as fuck but there's something about the keyboard that I really don't like. Mid range latitudes feel better
>>
>>53751137
Good idea but this feels like a potential time sink
>>
>>53757991
>falling for the timesink meme.
Kill yourself my man.
>>
>>53751269
Thank you for your advice.
I actually thought about this before but I haven't played a PC game in three years now and I don't think I'd ever need the power. I'm not too convinced about syncing two systems either.
I do see where you're coming from however and I'd probably follow it if I needed the power and had someone help me with actually building it. I've never done it before after all.
>>
>>53757951
This. Got mine yesterday mint with an IPS screen for $230.

I'm already loving it.
>>
>>53748652
>I'm not getting a Thinkpad
Why?
>>
>>53751269
Oh and I did take your alternative advice and ordered the XPS 13.
>>
>>53752459
Thank you. I really fell in love with its lightness and overall design too but it was another 200 euros and I didn't want to fall for the aesthetics. The shallow keyboard and lack of usb type c charging were downsides as well.
>>
>>53752808
Just Microsoft Office, Spotify, Chrome and occasionally some photo editing. But none of that really needs a lot of power so that wasn't my number one concern.
>>
>>53758088
Nigga get yaself a t420, put an SSD in it, dual boot xubuntu and win7.

Great fucking laptop.

Building PCs is just legos with blue, green, red blocks
>>
>>53757987
Ps the yoga is awful
You know that thing where you flip it around and it's a tablet? You hold it by the keyboard. Like you're fingering and palming keys the whole time. Feels terrible
>>
> future proof.

This t60 is 10 years old and works perfectly using MATE. I'd say this is still pretty future proof.
>>
>>53753235
You scared me a little there but I'm obviously hoping I won't be affected by any of that.
I'm considering one of those thunderbolt 3 docks once I need to do a presentation.
>>
>>53753321
I'm hoping for a good one. They should have their production figured out by now after all.
>>
>>53754105
I'm sorry but it takes time for innovation to trickle down and I had expectations that were hard to meet which is why I waited for over a year to take this decision.
>>
>>53754274
You must have misread me. My old laptop is a desktop replacement but I'm no longer needing this much power.
New thinkpads seemed very expensive in comparison and they carry a lot of older ports I don't need. The old ones are pretty bulky and their displays are often bad if you get an entry version.
Your suggestion is totally valid but I'm not on such tight a budget to consider it for myself. I know the keyboards tend to be class-leading and maintenance is easy but it just didn't check enough other boxes.
>>
>>53754617
considered it but discarded it for some reason. I think the display was rather dark and I disliked the edgy corners.
>>
>>53755854
I did end up ordering the XPS, and I didn't have any Apple device in my selection which used to consist of two dozen laptops because I've never bought into their ecosystem.
>>
there's no such thing as future proof. 4 years ago I couldn't have imagined needing more than 4gb ram, and now I'm sometimes swapping even on 16gb
>>
>>53758952
Stop using emacs
>>
>>53756457
Business Administration but I don't think I'm going to need a discrete GPU for that so those two don't fit the profile of fast enough but fairly quiet.
>>
File: ux305-2.jpg (312 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
ux305-2.jpg
312 KB, 1200x900
>>53748652
Have you considered pic related?

much cheaper than equilivent xps/mbp
>>
>>53759058
I did consider it for a long time and kept going back to it.
If you were to compare the M5/8/256 Asus and the i5/8/256 Dell on sale, it would be a difference of 200 euros which is still a lot but not enough to make this an easy price-based decision.
I still like this one a lot and if the Dell disappoints me for some reason, I'd know where I'd find a cheaper yet competitive alternative.
>>
>>53758101
probably because he fell for /v/'s consumerism meme
>>
>>53758351
yeah, I thought I might get used to that but it is far from ideal.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.