[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's so special about Arch and Gentoo? Honestly, i don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: 1420760130180.png (504 KB, 4000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1420760130180.png
504 KB, 4000x2000
What's so special about Arch and Gentoo?
Honestly, i don't get it.
Why should i use one of these two, when there are thousands of other "GNU/Linux" Distributions?

Please explain it to me.
>>
>>53747705
Arch for the aur
Gentoo for complete customization
>>
File: 1432434175335.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1432434175335.jpg
466 KB, 1920x1080
Gentoo's package manager doesn't give you much bullshit when you've got it setup.
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ#What_makes_Gentoo_different.3F
>>
>>53747741
/thread
>>
>>53747758

Please explain which "Shit" other package manager give you?
>>
>>53747811
>Apt installing a ton of shit I never wanted or needed
>Apt not keeping track of those applications
>Apt dealing with dependency issues by giving you the suggestion to uninstall an already installed package so you can install the new one, even if you want both
>Need tons of -dev packages if you want to compile anything
>>
>>53747837
/thread
>>
arch is just gentoo for impatient people :^)
>>
>>53747837

Do you actually know what you are talking about?
Or are you just repeat what other People say?
>>
>>53748139
Why would I ever listen to /g/? This is the same board that thinks high PPI is a useless gimmick peddled by Apple.
It's all from my personal experience. I fucking hate apt so much.
>>
>>53748139
Noobanto user detected... how does never being accepted into the gnu/linux clan feel like? Noobanto users are like nouveau riche fags who try to be part of higher society but never can because they're stupid plebs.
>>
>>53748224
I correct:
On Debian 10xx packages + the urge to suck cock
>>
>>53748158

Okay, lets subtract all these Distributions that uses apt (like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint), from all these thousand GNU/Linux Distributions.

There are still many Distributions that don't use apt, Fedora for example or Open SUSE.
>>
>>53747837
this
 $ emerge $NEEDED_PACKAGES 

435 packages installed
 $ apt-get install $NEEDED_PACKAGES

10xx packages installed
>>
>>53748257
>There are still many Distributions that don't use apt, Fedora for example or Open SUSE.
Fedora and Tumbleweed are acceptable, unlike Ubuntu
>>
>>53748258
>>53748239

It seems that the only special thing about Arch and Gentoo are their package manager ...
>>
>>53748313
You also compile your own kernel on Gentoo. Also there's no installer, you have to set things up yourself for the most part.
>>
>>53748313
>only
It's like saying "seems like the only special thing about this motor is its turbo charger
>>
>>53748313
You can easily disable shit with USE in gentoo, but have to manually edit every pkgbuild in archlinux
>>
Gentoo stopped my distro hopping but only because I included my overlay in layman. I can't let those 3 users of it down.
Oh well, it helps that it is piss easy to get the latest mesa live build and update it automatically.
>>53748313
That's the only thing different in all distributions.
>>
>>53748313
differences between Linux distros can be brought down to 2 main ones:
- different package manager
- different default packages installed

That's pretty much it. Thanks to the way GPL works any distro can take anything a different distro makes and integrate it. So what you're saying is "The only special thing about Arch and Gentoo is the only thing that differentiates them from other distros in any meaningful way."
>>
I want to learn lot about linux and my future uni uses gentoo in linux classes.
Should I install gentoo on my shitty notebook with celeron cpu on 1,8 GHz and 2GB ram? Or should I stick to arch?
>>
>>53747705
install gentoo
>>
File: VirtualBox_gentoo2.png (150 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_gentoo2.png
150 KB, 800x600
>>53749628
Install Gentoo
>>
>>53749681
Is lxqt on gentoo a good idea?
>>
>>53749739
everything is a good idea on gentoo apart from gnome, for some reason it always takes months to get the latest gnome and gtk release while kde even has beta and alpha ebuilds.
>>
>>53749628
If you have lots of time
>>
>>53749628
If your doing it as kinda a hobby may as well just go for Gentoo. besides if you use it in uni it would be more useful to learn
>>
>>53747705
i learned that arch is so special because when your done configuring it your literary uninstalling it
>>
File: 4TURBOS.jpg (217 KB, 734x602) Image search: [Google]
4TURBOS.jpg
217 KB, 734x602
>>53747705
Gentoo
>documentation
>huge repos
>overlays
>stable
>USE flags
>package masking and keywords
>eselect
>easily switch between versions of packages, even stable and unstable
>fast and flexible because compiled for your hardware

Arch
>it's shit
>>
Arch is for lazy people like me who would be running gentoo/funtoo if arch didn't exist. I like gentoo but hate waiting. Arch is essentially gentoo for the lazy.
>>
>>53749628
D I S T C C
I
S
T
C
C
>>
>>53750332
don't forget INSTALL_MASK and package.provided which are useful for keep away from bloated shit like systemd and dbus
>>
>>53750332
LMAO Gentoo had the best wiki until the incompetent maintainers had their server crashed
>>
>>53747758
Gross folders / 10
Nice theme though
>>
File: logo-gentoo.png (38 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
logo-gentoo.png
38 KB, 150x200
>>53750332
Don't forget slotting and true multilib support. That stuff is a nightmare outside of gentoo.

Also, I was never vulnerable to heartbleed bug because all I had to do was rebuild SSL without heartbeat USE flag
>>
gentoo has official support for libressl
>>
>>53750568
The "pedo" folder was actually loli.
>>
>>53750553
#REKT
>>
>>53748287
>Tumbleweed
Cease this meme
>>
Arch has all the speed of a package distro (and more) and (almost) all the upstream untaintedness of a source based one.
>>
I tried both, I have nothing to complain about Gentoo, but I don't like to wait hours compiling, it took me the entire day to compile the Kernel, that was horrible. That's why I use Arch.
>>
>>53747705
>Arch
lightweight, pacman, AUR

>Gentoo
lighweight, very good performance, highly configurable, has a very good package manager
>>
pacman is love
>>
While experimenting with source based distros for a while I've tried both Gentoo and Crux, and one thing I've notice is that compile times on Crux seem much shorter than on Gentoo. Why is that? Does Crux have more primitive dependency management, or is it the use flags (lack of), or what exactly?
>>
>>53747705
Gentoo for high IQs
Arch for low IQs who think they have high IQs
>>
>>53755725
What if I have both installed?
>>
Arch contains degeneracy and is promoted by anime binge watchers
>>
>>53755751
Gentoo is used by pedophiles
>>
AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR AUR
>>
I live in a dorm. I have Gentoo installed and my room neighbor has Arch, both of us using it for about half a year already.
I like Gentoo overall, but that's compared to Windows I used prior, and some things do seem more logical on Arch from what I've heard from him (why should the entire Portage tree be on my hard drive? Why are one-time changes for ebuilds that shouldn't require an overlay such a pain? Why are other package managers possible to install, yet portage impossible to install without the entire system breaking down in shambles, even if portage is practically gentoo?)
Then again, I never used Arch myself, so I probably don't see the drawbacks myself. I will probably try it out at some point just to see if it's an example of "the grass is greener on the other sides" and my dorm neighbor being better at arguments, or if there are things genuinely better about it. Even if I love slots, eselect, use flags and having multiple versions of packages available.
In any case, I do think Gentoo is genuinely good, from my work experience.
I wonder if any anons have tried both and can remember some comparative advantages/disadvantages of both? Mostly for use in future arguments, really. And for curiosity.
>>
>>53756756
*portage impossible to install
*sure, portage practically is gentoo, but still?)
>>
>>53756780
dammit
*portage impossible to uninstall
Two times in a row. Somehow.
>>
>>53756756
>why should the entire Portage tree be on my hard drive
You don't have to have it. You could use a portage fork that only contains what you need. You could remove all of portage after installing what you need.

>Why are one-time changes for ebuilds that shouldn't require an overlay such a pain
Pain in what way, exactly? I have no problems with this. Just change the ebuild to your liking, commit it to your local portage copy, and next time you update it will merge this into it.

>yet portage impossible to install
This sounds like an issue with those distros. If you want, you can use portage wherever.

>I wonder if any anons have tried both
I used Arch before Funtoo, can't say I disliked it, but it's not more minimal, nor more customizable than your average distro. Funtoo (and Gentoo, for that matter) is incredibly customizable and leaves a smaller system. I also find it easier to use an overlay than to use the AUR, since the AUR tools are all unoffical, whereas overlays are officially supported by portage. Ebuilds are also easier to write than PKGBUILDS.
>>
>>53758228
>You don't have to have it. You could use a portage fork that only contains what you need. You could remove all of portage after installing what you need.
OK, I deleted the entire tree. Now I heard there's a new version of kernel that fixes a major bug, or I need to update the Intel drivers because Vulkan is starting to be used, or Wayland is finally fully usable.
What do I do next?
Mind you, I don't want to go through the trouble of copying all the ebuilds I need manually into my local portage copy. And in the first place, how am I supposed to know what's updated if I can't just run emerge -DuN --keep-going @world?
>Pain in what way, exactly? I have no problems with this. Just change the ebuild to your liking, commit it to your local portage copy, and next time you update it will merge this into it.
For example, not long ago new version of wine refused to compile on gcc 5.2.0 because there was a hardcoded check for the version of compiler because there were bugs somewhere for some reason, or whatever. I had to get rid of this check in ebuild to compile it this one particular time before new version of gcc came out, then I would use the normal ebuild. It compiled and ran fine once I managed to do it (maybe I ran some additional patch or whatever, don't remember, really), but before there were tons of problems with trying to change the ebuild in-place (didn't want to bother with local overlays, because it's unwieldy to set up for the first time) while the system cursed at me because the new ebuild didn't match up to the Manifest. I remind you, this was a one-time change to ebuild, just to fix a particular "bug", so to say, in ebuild itself. Nowadays it doesn't, apparently, because the whole tree is kept on Squashfs, but a couple of ebuilds outside the common tree still have their checksums in Manifests.
Why is it needed at all? Who besides me is going to fake a ebuild anyway?
>yet portage impossible to install
Meant portage impossible to UNinstall. Sorry.
>>
>>53748453
Bullshit
Set it up in makepkg and you're good to go.
>>
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mpv
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mpv
>just an example of wiki helpfulness.
>>
>>53758577
>how am I supposed to know what's updated
I said you could, because you said you couldn't. I didn't say it was a good idea. You could also keep it on a shared filesystem if you need to save this 1GB from a certain system.

>Who besides me is going to fake a ebuild anyway?
The manifests dont just check the ebuild, they also check all sources. This way, if an upstream site is hijacked and different sources are being provided than what was originally intended, portage will complain and not install the faulty sources. Besides, these manifests are easy to generate, look into ebuilds on the Gentoo wiki.

>Meant portage impossible to UNinstall. Sorry.
Ah. I never uninstalled portage, so I don't have any answer to that.
>>
>>53758680
>I said you could, because you said you couldn't. I didn't say it was a good idea. You could also keep it on a shared filesystem if you need to save this 1GB from a certain system.
Well, I'm just a desktop user, and I just kinda think that while tree has its uses, the system where you can download ebuilds/PKGBUILDS as needed from the server is more convenient for desktop use. It doesn't take up space, for one.
Then again, apparently it's because it's structurally impossible to do in Gentoo. There is an actual need for physical Portage tree on your physical hard drive, apparently, because of how it's implemented. Understandable, still an inferior choice in some cases, pariculary with constraints in disk space (Portage tree is really unwieldy because of its tons of small text files that are smaller than the minimum size of a file ext4 supports, and it also limits how much the tree can grow in perspective, PKGBUILDS being on a server is the reason AUR is allowed to be as big as it is).
Well, if anything, BSD is where it's coming from, since portage is basically ported Ports, but I have no experience with Ports and how they work, so can't say much about that.
>The manifests dont just check the ebuild, they also check all sources.
Don't have anything against checking sources, this is legit useful, but why should ebuilds be checked at all? Well, not that they checked anymore. I'm still not sure why. There's apparently some weird logic about that somewhere. Like, does Portage check for ebuilds being 100% genuine, or does it not, anyway?
>Ah. I never uninstalled portage, so I don't have any answer to that.
Well, basically, the whole system breaks hard, apparently. That's why Portage can't uninstall Portage too, by the way. It will flat out refuse.
>>
>>53747705
Nothing. Install FreeBSD.
>>
>>53759539
>no drivers
>>
>>53755105
customized kernel takes 3 minutes to compile
>>
>>53759636
Write them yourself faggot
>>
>>53759855
I just did a genkernel and it only took a half hour. That other anon is full of shit or didn't set his -j flag
>>
>>53760650
What cpu?
with genkernel it takes an hour for me
>>
>>53749681
How long does I take to install packages?
>>
>>53762063
Intel Core i5 (2nd Gen) 2410M / 2.3 GHz
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.