[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How feasible is it to run an entirely terminal based OS in [the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: screen-vs.png (24 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
screen-vs.png
24 KB, 800x600
How feasible is it to run an entirely terminal based OS in [the current year]?
>>
Depends entirely on what you do
>>
I'm doing it right now.

I've never had sex.
>>
>>53747668
>i'm doing it right now

How did you enter the captcha then?
>>
>>53747694
4chan pass
>>
>>53747694
Anon is lying but you could use 4chan pass
>>
>>53747694
he has a script to convert images to ascii art
>>
>>53747626
Extremely. There is very little you can't do with it.
>>
>>53747708
>Run script over entire gui desktop
>???
>profit
>>
>>53747694
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_framebuffer

its completely possible to view images without x. Quake and doom have even been ported to svgalib.

>tfw you fell for the x/other windowing system meme
>>
Literally never. There's only so much you can do in CLI. Maybe it's just my shitty routers but I haven't been able to get a text mode/ncurses browser working in over a year. Anyone else struggling like I am?
>>
Entirely possible on servers.
>>
>>53747739
Unfortunately I think it's just you. Lynx works for me just fine, at home and at work.
>>
>>53747748
But I do use Chrome most times for that click convenience.
>>
File: cacaview.png (10 KB, 800x625) Image search: [Google]
cacaview.png
10 KB, 800x625
>>53747735
>not using libcaca
>>
>>53747626
depends on the autism level you appear to already have... how bad is it OP?
>>
>>53747759
Some terminal programs (when in X, obviously) support the mouse, like mc.

Personally I use the terminal for a whole lot since I hate not having a full screen, but browsing the net on a modern widescreen is just annoying with how long lines end up, so I just use i3, make Firefox as big as it needs to be, then fill up the space with various terminal programs I use a lot since you can fit a million of them into a tiny space. So I have a file browser (mc), music player (moc), email (alpine) and whatever else just sat there being convenient and taking up barely any real estate.
>>
Not as feasible as it should be for a lot of things, far more feasible that it should be for many others.
>>
>>53747632
This. You can be a writer and never use a GUI. You can be a programmer (depending on the work) and never use a GUI. You could be a priest and us only a terminal. But if you want to edit videos and images or something other than using your computer the same way one would use a lamp then you need a GUI.
>>
File: 1459241850486.jpg (19 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
1459241850486.jpg
19 KB, 250x302
>>53748286
>moc
>>
You could get by but it would suck if you didn't have a terminal multiplexer.
>>
How feasible is it to run an emacs based OS in [the current year]?
>>
>>53751480
Best new /g/ meme this summer.
>>
You can run gnome on framebuffer.
Would that count op?
>>
>>53748286
You can use a mouse outside X, use gpm or something
>>
>>53747626
It depends on your use case.

If you spend 8 hours a day mindlessly consuming "content" and shitposting on 4chan like the average /g/ poster, no, it's not feasible at all.

If you do things like basic spreadsheeting, programming, text-only emailing or non rich text processing with a little Wikipedia surfing and IRC/forums/BBSes here and there? Sure. I spend a lot of time doing that kind of stuff through SSH on my own server.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.