[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this supposed to be better than google? (Supposing someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: SP8_ylk9.png (31 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
SP8_ylk9.png
31 KB, 512x512
Why is this supposed to be better than google? (Supposing someone ever said that)
>>
It's not. Nothing comes close to the botnet.

DDG is botnet too.
>>
>>53747118
even my dearest startpage?
>>
>>53747162
Startpage claims to give you results straight from google but when comparing it with google or searx every now and then there's a couple results missing.
>>
>>53747107
Its not unless you're asking it programming questions. If you're searching in English it usually about as good, but not good enough to make it your default for all searches. If you're not searching in English it sucks
>>
File: kk.jpg (32 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
32 KB, 250x302
>he fell for the duck duck go meme
>>
>>53747285
>asking it programming questions
Elaborate?
>>
>>53747107
Supposed to be non tracking. I'm not sure they are, but it's better than drinking the Google koolaid and having your opinions carefully manipulated by your search engine.
>>
>>53747331
>having your opinions carefully manipulated by your search engine
The fuck am I reading
>>
>>53747216
It is enhanced by google, not copied
>>
>>53747372
enhanced i.e. copied but left a few results out
>>
What clarity is there that these fucks don't do the same thing Google are doing? I literally have not seen any proof of 'privacy' aside from their advertising and random people spouting it.
>>
>>53747216
>couple results missing
It has safe search on by default
>>
the firefox addon is god tier from the bangs alone

I also prefer the look of the results page by now
>>
>>53747724
I'm aware of that. Turn it off and there will STILL be results missing.
>>
>>53747107
Bangs
(presumably) no tracking
Open-source user-created repository of instant answers (example pic related)

"Instant Answers are created and maintained by a community of open source developers around the world so that millions of searches on DuckDuckGo (like who's in space? and tennis help) show a perfect result, above any ads or regular links. Just like the Wikipedia community creates articles for topics -- the DuckDuckHack community creates Instant Answers for searches!

1. Use these docs and our help to improve search results for the topics you care about.
2. Join our dev list to keep in touch with all the latest news and DuckDuckHack events.
3. Become a leader and all-star contributor helping to change the world of search through community!"

Google has these too, but I'm relieved by the fact that the community is free to implement their own.
>>
>>53747727
>>53748726
>bangs
EVERY decent browser has this built-in FOR YEARS you fucking cucks
>>
>>53747783
Google tailors results based on your IP. It's called filter bubble.
>>
>>53748860
[citation needed]
>>
>>53748860
Also I thought the filter OMITTED results, not added extra ones.

>but when comparing it with google or searx every now and then there's a couple results missing
>google or searx
>searx
How does google get my IP when I'm searching from searx?

You must be retarded.
>>
>>53747331
>non tracking
So how it knows my citizenship though i am not in my country? Frightend me
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-29_14-40-36.png (93 KB, 828x694) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-29_14-40-36.png
93 KB, 828x694
>>53748773
>>bangs
>EVERY decent browser has this built-in FOR YEARS you fucking cucks
We are all well-aware of these, meme-spouter. However, it is not feasible to bloat out that list with dozens of search engines that one uses once in a blue moon. It's convenient that the search engine understands where we intend to go and just gets out of the way.

From a security and privacy standpoint, on the other hand, it is better that no online service has a full view of one's search or browsing habits. Hence, the most common search engines are added to the browser.
>>
>>53747118
search.disconnect.me
You should try this one.
>>
>>53748955
The results are worse than DDG and SP.
>>
>>53748941
why the fuck do you need a bang/keyword if you only use it once in a blue moon? how do you even remember them then?
>>
>>53747351
get a clue, millennial
>>
>>53748941
>Zamunda.net
eйй лмao
>>
>>53747351
Google results are filtered for things you like and/or agree with. Usually referred to as 'filter bubble'.

This means that just by using Google and similar engines, you're unwittingly creating a safe space like a fucking SJW.
>>
Have you seen their revenue and funds? they can't even begin to build data storage units, even if they wanted to. Google has more than enough money to fund facilities in storing and mining and selling your data. Anything small and unknown to the general public like DDG and Startpage are fine.
>>
File: 1454319747687.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1454319747687.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>53749034
>>53749118
Holy shit you fucking insufferable faggots, I know what the meme bubble is, what I'm asking is, how the fucking would it manipulate my opinions?

>This means that just by using Google and similar engines, you're unwittingly creating a safe space like a fucking SJW.
Google tailors results to suit your opinions, not change them.
>>
>>53749005
>why the fuck do you need a bang/keyword if you only use it once in a blue moon? how do you even remember them then?
As Internet users we all know myriads of websites but we don't necessarily visit all of them often.
!alternativeto skype
!jstor minimum wage
!myanimelist studio ghibli
!wikileaks angels merkel
!tomshardware fx-8350

All of these are websites I am aware of, are valid DDG bangs. To do these searches otherwise, I'd either have to type them in my search engine or type in the site URL and use the site's own search engine, which is usually just an embedded Google search anyway. The bangs in this context allow me to skip one step in the whole process.

>>53749090
Бaнaни, бpaт!
>>
>>53749151
It further entrenches you in things you already believe and filters everything that would challenge that belief. If you only have a fiber of intellectual honesty in you, it's obvious why that is a problem.
>>
>>53749224
Whatever.

Now provide the evidence that they filter based on IP like I asked you before.
>>
>>53747216
Google literally personalizes your search based on everything they know about you. A biologist searching for 'python' is going to get results about the snake, you're probably going to get results about the programming language instead.

You can't want both privacy as in no databases about you and search as in google. Those contradict each other. All that extra information google has about you has to be added to the search query if you don't want the search engine to keep that information about you.
>>
>>53749243
Why can't you retards shut the fuck up and read the threads first?

I use SP right now but I'm really starting to hate you tinfoils.
>>
>>53747107
If using a VPN, would you really have to care about what search engine to use?
>>
>>53749118
>Google results are filtered for things you like and/or agree with. Usually referred to as 'filter bubble'.
>This means that just by using Google and similar engines, you're unwittingly creating a safe space like a fucking SJW.
>>53748860
>Google tailors results based on your IP. It's called filter bubble.
Has anyone ever done a comprehensive reproducible test whether and to what extent Google actually tailors search results? I've only ever seen cursory tests on tech channels that all showed no tailoring but also didn't control for IP addresses, cookies or Google accounts.

Imagine that on one computer I spam liberal searches, gay marriage, minimum wage, Obama, Hillary, Bernie Sanders and on another computer I search conservative topics like pro-life, Trump, Bush, guns, Jesus. Would then an identical Google search for the 2016 elections show identical results on both computers and, if not, how can we measure those differences? Can these differences produce conflicting world views based on which machine we used to search on?

>>53749224
>>53749243
>>
More like cuck cuck go.
>>
>>53749005
ddg recommends bangs based on the letters you type. For example, even when you don't remember that the bang for wolfram alpha is !wa, you can certainly guess that it'll start with !w and find it in the list.

Also there are usually several bangs per site, if you'd just guess, you're probably right anyway.

Does !wolfram work? Yes, it does.
Does !wolframalpha work? Yup.
etc.
>>
>>53748955
Enjoy your empty search results
>>
>>53749292
>Has anyone ever done a comprehensive reproducible test whether and to what extent Google actually tailors search results?
Don't know, but I think I once saw an article google once received a complaint/lawsuit because someone was getting offensive results from the keyword "jews", but it turns out those offensive results were based on the guy's search history.
>>
>>53749241
>filter based on IP like I asked you before.

You didn't, not in any post I responded to. That's a separate topic entirely.

Regardless, it's reasonable to assume that they filter based on region/country/city. (At least in Youtube the latter is very obvious)
>>
>>53749292
>Has anyone ever done a comprehensive reproducible test whether and to what extent Google actually tailors search results?
I actually haven't and am not aware of any such test. Figuring out whether search tailoring happens shouldn't be too hard though. Do a couple of searches on different computers in different houses and that should give you the answer to that question. Ideally you want the tested computers (owners) to be "different" enough.

The extent of the filtering is harder to test. How do you define a measurement of difference between the SERP?
>>
>>53749268
I'd also like to know this.
>>
>>53749629
The VPN won't magically save you from profiling and data collection. If you log in to any google account it can link your information across different VPN connections. Even if you don't use a google account, if you don't properly clear out all cookies it can still link that information. Privacy is today's world is hard, even if you take precautions.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.