[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FBI breaks into San Bernardino gunman's iPhone without Apple's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: fbi-hacked-iphone.jpg (132 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
fbi-hacked-iphone.jpg
132 KB, 1200x627
>iPhones are secure

"The U.S. Justice Department announced Monday it has successfully accessed data stored on the iPhone that belonged to the San Bernardino gunman without Apple's help, ending the court case against the tech company."

Where is your security now iFags?
>>
>>53746509
>the guberment that spends billions on it's military and secret police finally cracks a phone from 2012
>>
How did they do it?
>>
>>53746567
They aren't saying. Probably some backdoor exploit that hackers are already using.
>>
>>53746582
>>53746567
they loaded an image of the first iphone onto new memory chip, or a device which allows you to simulate a memory chip. Then they would try 4 or 9 passwords, then again copy the original memory to the chip, repeat.
>>
>>53746953
Wait...what?
>>
>>53746953
If that was the case, they got lucky to get it so soon.

Also this was more than expected, they just wanted a legal precedent so they can do this shit effort free in the future. Which will also happen somewhere down the road anyway, where the freedom of some begins, the freedom of others ends.
>>
>>53746509
This doesn't bother me at all. If they had just gotten a warrant in the first place it could have been unlocked. Instead they tried to gain an option they never legally had and never should legally have.
>>
>>53746953

LOL no.

Key is a hash of passcode and SoC UUID which cannot be read off the SoC. (There's actually more to it, but those are the difficult to retrieve parts.)

If you image the data and install on another phone, or a VM, you have to brute force the entire AES256 key space.

What probably happened is that Cellbrite knows an exploit which allows you to install an unsigned OS, or they have a compromised key. So they loaded up a hacked version of iOS which disabled auto wipe and password delay. This is what the FBI wanted Apple to do. Once you've done that you can brute force the passcode.

Achmed the Dead Terrorist apparently used a 4 digit passcode or a very short alpha numeric passcode, so the brute force took days or maybe even hours.
>>
File: kk.jpg (32 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
32 KB, 250x302
>he uses an iPhone
>>
>>53747305
>Cellbrite knows an exploit

Pretty much this.

PSA: Your iPhones are no longer safe.
>>
>>53747429
has anyone apart from Pajeet ever cared if someone could access thier phone?
Computer i can understand but phone?
>they saw the time i tried to ask that grill for a date by text and she didnt even reply
really
>>
>>53747429
All US tech companies have research centers in Israel, except Apple. You either give in to the jew's demands or they'll find a way to fuck you.
>>
>>53747459
Do you even have a smartphone? It literally has access to all your emails ever, your contacts, pretty much your whole life.

If anyone can get to that info easily, you are fucked.
>>
>>53746509
Snowden's documents already confirmed that the iPhone has a backdoor. This is all just a smokescreen.
>>
>>53747478
maybe 4 u
>>
>>53747305
>Key is a hash of passcode and SoC UUID which cannot be read off the SoC.
Is that the case for the 5C or for the newer devices with Touch ID that have the secure enclave?
>>
>>53747480
This, they knew from the beginning what to do. They just wanted a legal case to throw in everyone's face in future.
>>
>>53747480
Based Snowden, the only true patriot
>>
File: 1455924772281.jpg (114 KB, 595x546) Image search: [Google]
1455924772281.jpg
114 KB, 595x546
>>53747480
This desu senpai.
>>
>>53747480
PRISM =/= backdoors in OS. Generally the documents lacked actual information and mostly just listed companies who cooperated, not the level of their cooperation.
>>
>>53747565
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/28517/20150124/edward-snowden-apple-iphone-with-secret-ifeature-that-allows-government-to-spy-on-you.htm
This is known.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/10/apple-fbi-could-force-us-to-turn-on-iphone-cameras-microphones
This is what they're trying to spin it as.
>>
>>53747607
>thinks that Apple's iPhone has "special software" that authorities can activate remotely to be able to gather information about the user.
>THINKS
Also the whole line came from his Russian lawyer so should be viewed critical, and even going by the statement it's not clear if it's a backdoor in iOS or some tool created by NSA.

There is also
>http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/05/edward-snowden-hails-apple-as-pioneering-for-ios-8-security-measures
If you want random headlines.

Case in point, there is absolutely no proof that it's backdoored and not even enough clarity what exactly Snowden meant with his indirect statement. Not using an iPhone could be simply caused by paranoia.
>>
>>53747827
I don't think there is a built-in backdoor in iPhones but I wouldn't doubt they are holding quite a few exploits to use when needed
>>
>>53747842
Well, that's given. If people who do jailbreaks can overcome Apples security, it would be shocking if NSA office drones couldn't.

Though it's doubtful that they use them outside of special cases, the risk of the shit surfacing in the open doesn't seem worth it to spy on random faggots jerking off.
>>
>>53746567
>>53746582
>>53746509
>not even a couple of months before John McAfee stated he would help the FBI under the table as a private citizen

Gee I dunno
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.