[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this not used everywhere?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: pic_disp[1].jpg (49 KB, 400x218) Image search: [Google]
pic_disp[1].jpg
49 KB, 400x218
?
>>
install ECC
>>
>>53745807
Why do you need it?
>>
>>53745807
More data lines (72 bit vs 64 bit for non ECC), requires 1 extra memory chip per side for the error correction data, both increase complexity and cost of the memory module, the board (which requires the required data lines be physically present), and the CPU (which must support ECC ram on its memory controller, taking up die space).

Its also somewhat slower and noticeably more stressful on the memory controller.
>>
non-ECC RAM is cheaper
>>
>>53745807
Way back when (like, the '80s) pairity-checked RAM was standard. It started getting dropped in the early-mid '90s because a.) memory was really expensive relative to the rest of the system (Imagine if 8GB cost $600+) and b.) it was realized that random memory errors that it defends against are not very common. Servers and such, where price is less critical and integrity more important, retained it, of course, but consumer machines didn't.
>>
>>53745888
but only because its lower volume being produced, if there were only ecc the difference would be almost nonexistant considering even now its only 10-20€ difference

>>53745879
but we correct errors almost everywhere else because its kind of expected, why not in rams? Like all USB sticks are so faulty to keep their low costs that without error correcting you wouldnt read shit out of them.
>>
>>53746008
Its the cost and complexity of supporting it. As I mentioned before, there has to be more hardware (2 additional memory chips bare minimum) and more data lines to support it.

The data errors in memory arent as much of an issue as they are in flash due in part due to DRAM always being dynamic vs Flash being mostly static (and having hardware damaging writes on top of that). For the average user, the bit error rate isnt high enough or critical enough to warrant the extra cost.
For a server or workstation, where a flipped bit could result in corruption of a critical workpiece or a security breach, its worth the extra cost.
>>
As data gets more dense is it reasonable that ecc will be standard?
>>
>>53745916
In the mid-80's 256k would have cost you over $600. Source - I bought a 256k ISA board for my Tandy.
>>
>>53745807
Because intel are jews and wont enable support in consumer processors. AMD does, but aint nobody buying those.
>>
>>53745807
Because it's slower and most computers don't need it. Why do we not have redundant power supplies, internal UPS batteries, RAID setups with hot-swappable disks, diesel generators etc everywhere?
>>
>>53745851

Rowhammer
>>
>>53745807
because we don't live on the ISS where cosmic ray matters, you uncultured afroamerican individual.
>>
>>53745851
this: >>53747838
and then this: http://dinaburg.org/bitsquatting.html

RAM stability had become a real issue. Not that ECC solves all security problems though, all electronics remain broken and unsecure as fuck. But still, that's a start.
>>
it is, consumer dram has basic error correction built in. more comprehensive error correction is a tradeoff between performance and stability
>>
>>53747880
>because we don't live on the ISS where cosmic ray matters,
A few years back I had to fit a large-ish Engineering Change to a mini-computer for one of our customers. The static RAM memory was being altered by random cosmic ray hits.
The Change added ECC in hardware and made appropriate alterations to the Pico Code ROM to support it.
>>
>>53745807
Can I download it?
>>
>>53745807
Cost. ECC is more expensive to produce.
>>
File: JamesHamilton[1].jpg (8 KB, 194x240) Image search: [Google]
JamesHamilton[1].jpg
8 KB, 194x240
>>53747880
oh rly?
http://perspectives.mvdirona.com/2012/02/observations-on-errors-corrections-trust-of-dependent-systems/
>>
I just got a box of 24 GB registered ECC from a freind who bought the wrong stuff for box. Waiting til after this last week of school before I knock down my servers for class to install it.

>>53747838
ECC only fixes single bit-flips. Rowhammer can effect multiple flips at a time, making ECC less effective.

>>53745807
More expensive. You gotta buy boards and CPUs that support it, which is not found in consumer level systems. AMD is more open with this, but on Intel you'll only find it on high-end i7s and Xeons along with pricy ($200+ usually) boards.
>>
>>53751099
*his box
>>
>>53747771
even the pentiums support ecc
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.