[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kobo vs. Kindle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: 14320629746_c8e212e8f2_b.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
14320629746_c8e212e8f2_b.jpg
102 KB, 1024x768
Anyone here have experience with e-readers? I'm looking to maybe buy one for my girlfriend for her birthday, and probably one for myself as well. Which one is better? Kobo seems to be more open and free, but the kindle seems to be a more fluid/seamless reading experience. Also how is PDF performance and manga reading on either of them?
>>
>>53742372
Get a kindle so she knows what the fuck it is
>>
>>53742372
Just got a Kindle Voyage a couple days ago. Thanks to programs like Calibre, you can essentially convert any file-type to MOBI, which Kindle uses. Books can be uploaded to your device through Wi-Fi, USB cable or 3G depending on if your device is enabled for 3G.

I love it. I've been reading like mad lately but to be super honest. Its a device that displays plaintext. You can't really go wrong with either model.
>>
>>53742400
i can assure you she's not that retarded
>>
Get a kobo because it's not restrictive. You can drag and drop pretty much any format ebook to it from any computer without the need of conversion or syncing software.
>>
>>53742478
That whole process is deceptively simple though. Its as easy as putting music on an iPod through iTunes.

This is also assuming she's a pirate!
>>
>>53742509
Who wouldn't want a pirate gf?
>>
>>53742509
she's not really, last time she torrented something she got a virus
>>
>>53742372
Get her a Kobo because nips make it
>>
>>53742509

A kobo acts as a usb storage device.
>>
Nook simple touch can have Android 2.1
>>
>shopping on amazon
or
>shopping on... um...
>>
>>53742580
>>shopping on amazon
>or
>>shopping on Library Genesis
ftfy
>>
>>53742598
>ftfy
Appreciate it, because I haven't got the first fucking clue where kobo books are supposed to come from... and I have one.
>>
>>53742560
So does a Kindle.
>>
>>53742580
Kobo has their own online book store and you can shop at any other ebook store and the device will likely be able to read their default format
>>
Jesus Christ
this thread is posted everyday

all these e-readers are the same shit
they all have a suck ass "e ink" screen

they are all around $100 just get one, any one and start reading
oh yeah but none of you actually use it for reading you just want a new gimmicky gadget to fuck with
>>
>>53742956
can you shop amazon?
>>
>>53742989
could get a used sony prs-300 for like $30
>>
>>53742989
This man speaks the truth. Unless you're looking for specifics, such as waterproofing, it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>53742598
libgen has been dead FOR A FUCKING YEAR

STOP PRETENDING THAT ITS NOT
>>
>>53742509
>This is also assuming she's a pirate!
OP, does she have a peg leg or eyepatch?
>>
>>53743094
... or a penis?
>>
what about the kindle paperwhite getting free 3g?
>>
>>53742991

Yes. You can even straight up read mobi format without conversion.
>>
>>53743524
do you get the free books from things like kindle unlimited on a kobo?
>>
>>53743623
If you have a subscription to the service, I don't see why not.
>>
>>53743071
http://gen.lib.rus.ec

???
>>
Kobo supports ePub and open format
>>
Kindle doesn't even come close in terms of text quality with its low-res trash.
Also I download/pirate books and don't give a fuck about amazon 'ecosystem'
>>
>>53745012
Kindles are 300 ppi, and you can sideload books on them just fine.
>>
>>53742372
get a kindle fire because they're 50 each.
i had a kobo tablet and that was actually pretty decent. ran almost stock android + kobo store, long-ish battery life.
if you want a regular kindle, the paperwhite is great but you'll need epubs for everything. if you want pdfs and epubs (smarter choice) go with the tablet readers.
>>
does anyone know if kobo's or kindles can be synced under linux? Or can yo use calibre on linux?
>>
Honestly at this point the tec is so stagnated you really won't be unhappy with ether, It's kinda like camera tec you wont really find a "shit" camera anymore.

I like the Kindle as it feels nicer in the hand.
>>
>>53745103
If only there was some way to convert ebooks from one format to the other.
>>
>>53742372
Get a high res kindle paperlight. And download calibre. It isn't hard to convert shit to mobi
>>
>>53745195
I have a kindle keyboard (the one with 3g) and it use MSC when plugged into USB so I can sync it with anything that can use a flash drive.

Also, calibre does run on linux, there is a native build.
>>
what the fuck is up with the sample pdf's in that picture? lmao
>>
>>53745285
sweet thanks a bunch that makes this easy for me
>>
>>53742372
Pdfs are trash on a kindle. I have a pw2 that is jailbroken which is nice for custom screensavers, text editors, etc. Some of the older kobos could run android and had micro SD cards as internal storage so you could upgrade them. Not sure if this is true anymore.
>>
>>53745294
now that you mention it xD
>>
>>53742989
fuck me, its back
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.