[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FBI says it got into the iPhone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
File: Screenshot_2016-03-28-15-34-03.png (439 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-28-15-34-03.png
439 KB, 1440x2560
Thoughts, /g/?
>>
>>53739769
metadata. useless shit. they'll still need help.
>>
>>53739797
The news last week was that an Israeli company was helping them, I don't think it's the NSA
>>
>aplel in charge of securiry
Sure glad I have an encrypted android phone with google removed as a phone admin and an encrypted microsd card.
>>
>>53739797
good goy or Applefag?
>>
>>53739830
Why doesn't it surprise me Jews were involved?
>>
>>53739995
because you're anti-semetic?
>>
>>53740105
I'm not anti-semetic. I just hate Jews.
>>
>>53740127
Chink here
I know iPhone and I know Jews.
They're both rubbish
>>
CIA or NSA is my only thought.
>>
>>53739769
It's basically just a stunt so they don't have to admit that they lost that one. Also, that way they make the whole discussion seem irrelevant.

>>53739830
A company that infamously deals with dictatorships all over the world by the way.
>>
>>53739847
>implying it's ever possible to remove google's botnet from google's botnet os
>>
Bluff. Makes the us look good
>>
>>53740167
And a way to shit on apple
>>
>>53740179
It really could be. They could have finally gotten briefed from people who actually know why asking apple to break it is such a bad idea.

Or we could see this whole dog and pony show crop up again in a couple years with the newer iPhones' better security. Only time will tell.
>>
File: 1331438409975.gif (104 KB, 735x553) Image search: [Google]
1331438409975.gif
104 KB, 735x553
They always could do it, they just needed an excuse to legislate a backdoor. When it backfired on them and they looked like jackasses they just went never mind fixed it.
>>
Next up: They announce that there was information on that iPhone that could have prevented the attacks in Bruxelles. That will move the whole discussion to a new level.
>>
>>53739769
>>53739769
>spend upwards of $50,000 in expensive 3-month legal and PR campaign
>someone finds a dusty memorex in a remote corner
>call cellebrite who can do the job for 1/2 that, no questions asked
thanks, FBI
>>
>>53739769
The third party is actually Apple acting under another name.
>>
I bet they guessed the pin. Maybe one of their incompetent drones found a post-it note with the heading "Iphone PIN" in evidence, or maybe the pin was 1234, 1111, or some other easy guess.
>>
>>53740750
This desu
>>
File: FBI approach.gif (425 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
FBI approach.gif
425 KB, 500x373
>>53740800
>>
>>53740597
this

would be a huge PR blow to apple, and they would instantly lose any remaining political goodwill for controversial future positions
>>
>>53740800
>I bet they guessed the pin
Within 10 attempts?
>>
>>53739769
Free market fixed it.
>>
>>53740750
no it was an israeli security firm
>>
>>53740889
They hired a company that can remove the attempt limit.

Then they probably just brute forced it.
>>
unless they show proof it was locked to start and proof they unlocked it, all I see this as: a FBI attempt to get court precedence set for future cases to make shit easy
>>
>>53739769
So...Mcaffee was right.

Apple did the right thing telling them to fuck off.
>>
>>53739769
Translation:

>Hey terrorist!
>Just a heads up: we got into that phone.
>Just so you know to double-check your security measures.
>Wouldn't want to catch you by surprise, that would be mean.
>Hope you manage to escape now that we told you this.
>>
>>53740950
Then it wasn't "just guessing the pin", it was exactly what they wanted to be able to do in the first place.
>>
>>53740597
The attacks in Brussels could easily have been prevented with the information already available.

It's not lack of information but lack of competence that made the European intelligence services miss this.
>>
>>53739797
Wouldn't metadata have been available at any time i.e. not encrypted or restricted from the FBI at all?
>>
>>53741052
Yes.

First they asked Apple to make X.
When Apple denied, some Jews made X for â‚Şâ‚Şâ‚Ş.
>>
>>53740167
Doesn't the USA itself deal with dictators all over the world? Just varies by how much and which ones at any given time.
>>
>>53741002
>terrorists stop using apple products altogether
Finally
>>
ITT Apple pedophiles in denial.

The cops can get into your phone now, deal with it.
>>
>>53741099
I know one of the answers I'm going to get, but assuming that's Hebrew or whatever for money, is it a coincidence that it's so similar to the NFC icon?
>>
>>53740889
>attempts
Sounds more plausible than beating the (AES) 256-bit encryption without insider knowledge of the hardware architecture or 6-10 months to reverse engineer the integrated circuits involved.

Assuming Apple did secretly conspire with the FBI to break into the phone, none of the evidence acquired will be admissible without the testimony of the individuals involved in said hacking. Laws in place for the seizure of computers dictate that a proper chain of custody must be followed to rule out any tampering of evidence.

Apple didn't do it.
>>
Mfw /g/ thought McAfee was pulling shit out of his ass
Just goes to show how he's making money and you can't even get off of neet bucks in your moms basement
lmao
>>
They always could, you just take a cellebrite NAND dump, flash that to donors and bruteforce patterns with a fresh flash each time it locks out. I'm pretty sure they even said a short while ago that cellebrite were actually working with them on it.

The FBI just wanted a backdoor, and finally conceded that Apple weren't going to give them one, one of the very rare concessions I'll give Apple credit for.
>>
>>53741154
Knowing McAfee though if he did crack it he'd be bragging about it everywhere lol
>>
>>53741142
>assuming that's Hebrew or whatever for money

It's the sign for the Israeli shekel.
>>
>>53741151
Will they need the evidence for anything?

Face it, even if they get some contact details of a person they conspired with they'll most likely be able to get other evidence against that person and just ignore the information from the phone.

They'd probably try to not even link it to this case unless they get evidence from the other side creating a connection, just so they don't have to submit evidence from the phone.
>>
>>53741186
He wouldn't actually he said he would do as a "private citizen" so anything he did do wouldn't tie to his name or his former product.
>>
>>53741175
>one of the very rare concessions I'll give Apple credit for

sure, support them when it's convenient for you. Meanwhile, Apple is the only company in the world fighting the US government for you (you don't give a fuck) and continuously making their security better and better without sucking US gov't dick instead

but praise god, you gave them credit!

Next time you have Chinese drawn cartoons playing on your computer, remember there's a bunch of people out in Apple working hard for your freedoms
>>
>>53741072
This.
>>
>>53741208
It was his work phone. Any calls or texts were already turned over by att or whomever by now.
>>
>>53741240
You know who else is fighting the US government? That's right, ISIS
>>
>>53741240
Appel is probably pissed the government. They have suspected for a long time that their server hardware etc has been intercepted and implanted with hardware back doors and firmware. They have even gone so far to demand diagrams and functions of every component inside server equipment from suppliers. Now they are designing their own server hardware. I also find it hard to believe that Apple not fully aware, and cooperated with investigations and information gathering activities of the USG. Probably why in public they have an attitude towards the gov't: they know the some of the power and reach the government agencies have.
>>
>>53741261
Yeah, but that's only information that is sent over standard SMS and voice protocols.
>>
>>53741186
After publicly speaking out against it?

>hey guys, that thing I was strongly against - guess what I just did it myself I'm a fraud lol
>>
>>53741240
>Meanwhile, Apple is the only company in the world fighting the US government for you
I don't need a corporation fighting the government for me on security. I have full disk encryption. Apple's encryption relies on not being able to guess a 4 digit code. My shit relies on it enough sha512 iterations to make guessing a significant portion of the possibilities of random 60 character strings prohibitive. Given that it's probably easier to try every 512 bit code than iterate 60 character string through sha512 10 million times I'm relying on 2^512 being a really big fucking number. There's no way to charge 2^512 with contempt for not being a small number so I think this is better than relying on Apple.
>>
>>53741428
Do you also unlock your phone with a 60 digit code?

The key tech is limiting the number of failed attempts before the data gets destroyed.
Making even a short code secure (until someone finds a way around it, which they just did).
>>
Crapple has always been backdoored, this is just a show for the public. They've been a part of PRISM for years.
>>
File: 1430989309708.jpg (62 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1430989309708.jpg
62 KB, 690x460
>>53741240
>Apple working hard for your freedoms
>>
>>53741492
Hell no I don't lock my phone. It's for convenient communication with others over an unsecured channel. If I wanted to communicate in a manner that the government was not able to intercept, I wouldn't use a cell phone. If you think government satellites don't pick up every cell phone transmission and government agencies don't already know how to unencrypt cell phone transmissions, then I hope you have nothing to hide.
>>
>>53741428

Well, you don't really have any idea what you are talking about. Not sure why you waste everyone's time posting on /g/. /b/ or /pol/ seems more your speed.
>>
>>53741492
If I live another 100 years that's about 3 billion seconds. Assuming 1 quadrillion tries per second that's 3x10^21 tries. 2^512 is 1.34x10^154. That's a about 2.23x10^(-133) chances in breaking it. Meanwhile 10 tries on 4 digits is 1x10^-3. The chance of the government being able to seize the private key necessary to generate a signed update is 1. That's pretty weak shit.
>>
I hope they now unlock all of those other phones they had from other cases.

Hell I hope people go around randomly unlocking everyones phone, and Apple never finds out how its done.
>>
>>53739769
>touchwizz
>>
so this means there are ways to bypass icloud lock?
>>
>>53739769
>>
>>53743295
>>
>>53743311

Pretty interesting read here:
-- https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/03/hubris-investigators

One solid question raised, among several:

> For years, government agencies have sought the power to circumvent encryption. Congress denied that authority when legislators closely examined encryption in the 1990s, and decided in the Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) to require telecom companies to provide assistance to investigators—but not to require them to create new security vulnerabilities that did not before exist.

> Also curious is the timing of the request. The phone in San Bernardino was in the hands of investigators for two months before the government appeared in an ex parte (one-sided) proceeding and claimed the need to force Apple to create dangerous new code to assist its investigation.

> That demand came just one week after FBI Director James Comey was pressed by senators in an oversight hearing to defend his claims that encryption is blinding investigators and undermining their ability to do their work. And the bureau's decision to vacate its earlier demands came just one day before the government would have been required to substantiate claims it had previously made only in ex parte hearings.
>>
>>53739830
This shouldn't be surprising. most of the tools the NSA uses are developed via joint ventures between Israel security firms and the TAO. Flame and Stuxnet are prime examples of this.
>>
>>53741186
>Knowing McAfee though if he did crack he'd be bragging about it everywhere lol
pretty sure john is fairly open about his crack use, tbqh
>>
File: backtopol.png (322 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
backtopol.png
322 KB, 546x700
>>53739995
>>
It was always able to get into the iphone. This was a publicity stunt from day fucking one to make people think companies are working for them when the FBI has all your information from your little privacy-stealing toy at all times.

If you own a phone, you are fucked.
>>
>>53740950
>my first day working for the fbi
>get a nice suit
>go to starbucks and buy coffee for everybody
>arrive to the office early
>"hey anon! welcome! we have a little job for you..."
>awesome, my first day serving the nation
>"what do you need sir?"
>assume i'm going to blow some terrorist secret base, save one complete nation or arrest a 4chan pedo
>"you see that giant computer there anon"
>"yes sir"
>"recently we had this Israeli company..."
>wet my pants, i'm gonna make history
>"... to help us in this project"
>not that bad, maybe we are going to kill Russians or something in some secret project to make America great again
>"and we need your help, that computer has all the possible password combinations..."
>oh shit, we are hacking and then blowing up a Russian nuclear plant or something better!
>"to get into.."
>oh fuck, yes!
>"this cute iPhone, there are about 2 million of passwords that we need you to test one by one manually into the passcode screen, don't worry we have all the possible combinations on that giant computer there. have fun anon and welcome to the FBI!"
>what... th...
>"by the way anon, every 10 attempts you will need to connect the iPhone to the pc and run this program, it's on broken Hebrew but I'm sure you will find a way to figure out the UI! just restart the phone after you run it!"
>...
>he grabs all the starbucks into his office
>>
This is either proof of
- a shitty password (and the 10 attempts thing can be avoided by making a backup copy of the data or restoring any changes made while making attempting to crack it)
- there already is a backdoor
- or apple gave in

I think it's the first. Brute forcing is still possible.
>>
>>53745856
Or
- the password was stored in plain text
>>
File: 1458807957563.png (267 KB, 448x421) Image search: [Google]
1458807957563.png
267 KB, 448x421
>>53745574
>>
>>53745898
Or they didn't really get in.
>>
>>53739769
They realized that not even US courts are crazy enough to let them win and didn't want to set a negative precedent. Afterwards they used one of the already suggested methods or found a backdoor, so basically what they should've done in the first place if they really cared about the irrelevant data on the phone.

>>53740836
Why would they? Apple has absolute no benefit from aiding them and even the US guberment can't bully a company of their size.
>>
>>53745747
>10 attempts you will need to connect the iPhone to the pc and run this program, it's on broken Hebrew
Nice.
>>
>>53741878
This guy gets it.
>>
File: Fuckin' seven emerald post.jpg (59 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin' seven emerald post.jpg
59 KB, 424x600
>>53740281
This.
>>
>>53746009
goy*
>>
>>53745951
>even the US guberment can't bully a company of their size.
Sure they can. Yahoo tried the same shit by not complying with US Gov't orders and they got slapped with a fine that doubles every day until they complied. If they didn't pay, key people will get imprisoned.

Also;
>implying that this isn't just a show done by Apple and the FBI to deceive the public
>>
>FBI says
stopped reading
>>
>>53746071
>Yahoo
They never were even close to the level where Apple is now. We talk about the most valuable company in the world, and they would have the public on their side too.

>implying that this isn't just a show done by Apple and the FBI to deceive the public
Le everything is a conspiracy.
>>
>>53746141
All the gay hipsters at Apple vs. the Great American Military, of fucking course Apple would lose.
>>
>>53746159
The Great American military that got owned by goat fuckers in Afghanistan? The gay hipsters will be fine yo.
>>
>>53739769
FBI only wanted a legal precedent to do bend the law in questionable ways and didn't count on Apple chimping out.

Nothing to see here.
>>
>>53739847
>good thing I have to jump through all these hoops to get subpar security

Get a load of this goyim.
>>
>>53739769
>literally "The Terrorists Won" the thread.
>>
>>53746192
And the gooks in nam,if ya wanna count that one
>>
If the attack was not the SB shooting, but something more on the level of 9/11, 7/7 in London, Madrid, et al. the Bureau would have gotten there way, and Apple would be fucked from a security stand-point, right?
>>
>>53746417
their*
>>
>>53746417
No doubt.
>>
>>53746417
>If the attack was not the SB shooting,
It wouldn't have mattered. The attackers destroyed their own phones and the hard drives of their PCs before they went on the rampage. The fact that they left the company iPhone should tell you that there's nothing on it.
The FBI blew any chance of a quick recovery of the contents when they instructed the SB IT people to change the iPhone's iCloud password.
Perfect setup to get a precedent for forcng a phone maker to do unpaid work to help the FBI, or failing that, blacken Apple's name as far as security goes.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.