[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GNU/Linux is bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 1431780499829.jpg (138 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1431780499829.jpg
138 KB, 900x675
Linux is a monolithic, bloated, low-quality ball of puke. The fact that it's open source does not make it better than Windows. GNU, specifically glibc, which gcc evily links into *everything* is a steaming pile of crap. GNU tools are bloated.

Give me a reason not to use BSD or MINIX.
>>
Lets compare the R&D budgets that go into creating an optimal user experience for Linux/BSD/MINIX/Windows respectively...

$0/$0/$0/$300,000,000
>>
>>53739567

Well of course.
>>
There are some small issues of compatability, in that some programs expect modules from the Linux kernel which have no replacement in *BSD. *BSD doesn't always support as wide of a range of hardware as Linux, either. If you have those issues, you can either try to write your own replacements for those missing features, or use GNU/Linux. If you don't have a compatability issue, there's not really a great reason not to use a *BSD. I use FreeBSD on my desktop.
>>
>>53739629
Oh! And if you're not familiar with *BSD, you may have to relearn some things. Skills with GNU/Linux do not port directly to *BSD, although if you're familiar with GNU/Linux it shouldn't be hard to adapt.
>>
>specifically glibc, which gcc evily links into *everything*
static compiling exists you dolt
>>
File: can't tell meme face.jpg (133 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
can't tell meme face.jpg
133 KB, 1500x1125
Can't tell if OP is a winshill or a bsd shill.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (28 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
28 KB, 220x330
>>53739523
>minix

this OP is a faggot
>>
>>53739567
now compare the number of people contributing code to create an optimal user experience
>>
>>53739794
>contributing code to create an optimal user experience
>Installing Gentoo is a meme in and of itself
>>
THE GNULINUX IS BETTER

MOUNTAINS
>>
>>53739567
Many tech companies, including Microsoft, hire people full time to work on the Linux kernel.
>>
File: boogieblue.jpg (79 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
boogieblue.jpg
79 KB, 480x480
>>53741702
...and the kernel has jack shit to do with user experience
>>
>>53739523
you were going in the right direction until used the minix word
>>
>>53739667
As a long-time linux user, I recently started using FreeBSD on my raspberry pi to see what it was like, and was very pleasantly surprised by just about everything. It's like I am finally able to experience the golden age of unix that people older than 40 reminisce about. rc scripts are actually intuitive, unlike upstart or systemd. The core utilities are packaged with the kernel so no "GNU plus FreeBSD" shit. As an added bonus, the current default C compiler is clang rather than GCC.

Unfortunately, I still don't trust that it would run very well on my desktop (and don't care enough to dual boot); and it's only been in like the past 5 or so years that Linux drivers have gotten to the point where I can rely on all of my devices working.
>>
File: UdQVSHP.jpg (61 KB, 960x897) Image search: [Google]
UdQVSHP.jpg
61 KB, 960x897
>>53741782
>device responsiveness (including network)
>memory efficiency
>basic security
>pic
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.