[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys have difficulties being productive on your laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: sharp-8k-tv.jpg (122 KB, 672x459) Image search: [Google]
sharp-8k-tv.jpg
122 KB, 672x459
Do you guys have difficulties being productive on your laptop screens when you mostly work at your desk using a big monitor? I don't just mean big in size but also more screen estate.

I bought two 1440p monitors a while ago to use it in my home office and now whenever I'm on the move and try to get work done on my laptop, I feel extremely constrained, often to the point where I can't get anything done.
>>
>>53734710
>working on a laptop
laptops are meant for checking emails while traveling
You must have a shitty employer if they actually expect you do to work on business trips.
>>
>>53734729
I'm self-employed. I do need to travel every now and then and try to be productive in the train/plane but I seriously can't. Not only that, can't get work done when I'm at my girlfriend's for a few days, either.
>>
>>53734729
>laptops are meant for checking emails while traveling
No, smartphones are for checking emails.

>>53734981
Try virtual desktops
>>
>>53734981
kill yourself
>>
>>53734729
>laptops are meant for checking emails while traveling
yes especially in an age where many people use a smartphone for this very reason.... But there's no point trying to reason with someone so far detached from society who doesn't believe laptops are given to employees for work.

As for the OP I don't know it's probably because you're used to those huge screens. If your laptop has a hdmi/vga out you can take the dual monitors with you though; I've seen portable monitors from like, asus. I can get work done on a single small screen no problem. My brother is like you though and he needs several monitors and a desk and everything to get shit done
>>
File: 1383253285350.jpg (54 KB, 412x371) Image search: [Google]
1383253285350.jpg
54 KB, 412x371
>>53735034
>portable monitors
or he could just use an android tablet
>>
>>53734710
Do you use a mouse? i find that to be important for myself.
>>
>>53734710
Not at all. I have no issues going from my desktop's monitors to even my netbook and its 10" 1024x576 screen
>>
>>53735107
>recommending a tablet for productivity
I guess you consider posting on 4chan and shilling for the FSF productive
>>
>>53735027
/thread
>>
File: 1404686308963.jpg (273 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1404686308963.jpg
273 KB, 800x800
>>53735171
>>
>>53735107
A tablet would be absolutely unproductive for me. What kind of computer work do you do that a tablet is sufficient?

>>53735154
Yeah, I got a mouse for my laptop but it doesn't seem to help.

>>53735168
Maybe I should just force myself to use my laptop more frequently.
>>
>>53735026
>Try virtual desktops
Seconded. This is what I do. Of course it's not as nice as multiple big monitors, but it works better than constant alt+tab.

Windows <10: Install a 3rd party program. There are a few, I use Dexpot. It works by hiding and unhiding the windows associated with each desktop. It can also do things like make a window always on top or partway transparent, which can help in some situations.

Everything else: It's built in.
>>
File: youdontneeda.jpg (112 KB, 668x466) Image search: [Google]
youdontneeda.jpg
112 KB, 668x466
>>53734710
I dumped my dual monitor setup in favor of a single 55" 4K tv. It's as much of an upgrade as going from one monitor to a dual monitor set up was. The only downside is that the screen is so large that text out at the edges, especially at the corners, can be hard to read. When I first saw curved screens come out I mocked them as being a stupid gimmick but now I wish I had bought one instead of going with the flat model.
>>
Yes this does bother me OP, very often.
Good use of workspaces is the only way around it, and that's often yields a poor result in terms of productivity.
Laptops are a compromise, they always will be.
>>
>>53735508
This is my gripe with single huge screens. That's why I don't want to go bigger than 30" , my current screens are 29".

I'd have to sit pretty far away from a 55" one to see everything without having to move my head.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.