[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gentlemen, what's the most logical (and thus the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
gentlemen,

what's the most logical (and thus the only rational) naming scheme for your files?

e.g.
YYYYMMDD_[related to]_[filename].[extension]
20160328_work_goodshit.docx
>>
I do this shit with documents

>vague description of what's it about (ex. Louis XVI)
>put in a folder vaguely describing the category (History)
>sort by date
>>
Filename.Extension because every computer since fucking Windows 95 has date stamps in the metadata you cuck
>>
File: murderous feelings.jpg (141 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
murderous feelings.jpg
141 KB, 400x300
\My Documents\Documents\Documents\paul\Documents\2016\Q1 figures\Jan\Q1 reports.xls

THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T FIND YOUR FILES
KILL ALL BABY BOOMERS
>>
>>53732551

Not really, if a file was created a year ago had a major revision 6 months ago, and you corrected a typo last week, you wouldn't necessarily want to list the file as last updated 1 week ago.
>>
>>53732641
>created
>modified
>accessed
Again, since win 95
>>
>>53732379
>Not taking advantages Unix file properties

I just give it a proper filename (relevant to topic) and move it to a directory that has similar topics
>>
>>53732641
you can use 'touch yyyymmddhhmmss filename' to modify the timestamp back to the original if thats the case.
>>
>>5373243
thread/
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.