[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Plex a honeypot? Plex seems to be about hoarding data and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: plex-fet.jpg (44 KB, 597x375) Image search: [Google]
plex-fet.jpg
44 KB, 597x375
Is Plex a honeypot?

Plex seems to be about hoarding data and having a paper trail whereas something like Kodi seems to be more about finding random streams online.

Thoughts, /g/?
>>
>>53715177
ur mums a honeypot
>>
>>53715177
Everything is a honeypot. Everything is a botnet.
>>
Your a botnet xd
>>
>pirating media
>paying a company to hold a record of all of your pirated media

Of course it's a botnet and tracking your shit. Are they going to give it to the feds? Maybe.
>>
Just never make a plex account and only use it on your home LAN, no worries.
>>
File: awdawdawd.png (1 MB, 851x899) Image search: [Google]
awdawdawd.png
1 MB, 851x899
>>53715224
what do you recommend for hosting my movies and TV shows so i can watch them wherever I want.
>>
>>53715288
Have to in order to use their app on most platforms

>>53715371
Embry
>>
>Emby
tfw no 'play unwatched' option - hope you like digging through your series
tfw no 'play single episode' option - hope you enjoy binge watching
>>
Basically there's no option for paranoid people. Either you have to give up your records to Plex and cross your fingers or get something that partially works
>>
I only use plex on home net, got the app for free during the Amazon promo, so i dont pay them at all. Is there something that works just as well? I need to stream from my pc to android phones and boxes in the home network. Needs to be easy, needs to scrape for covers and trailers. If it works with music, that's better too.
>>
>>53715388
ty Ill give it a look see
>>
Just get Serviio, actually fucking works with high quality transcoding for one.
>>
>a program to sync your media from your machine to your mobile device requires a subscription charge
fuck
>>
>>53715594

I don't even want to watch anything away from home, fuck. I just want to use it on my appletv and ps4 without paying plex
>>
File: 1458790333823.jpg (121 KB, 598x595) Image search: [Google]
1458790333823.jpg
121 KB, 598x595
>Plex

Whats the point? I just set up a samba share and watch cartoons from that,
>>
>>53715800
On a single machine, Plex/Emby functions as a nice UI with metadata, unplayed counts etc
>>
>>53715897
But why do you need that shit when it's only going to be you watching anime alone forever?
>>
>>53715921
if you can't appreciate a nice UI to sit on top of your stuff and keep it neatly organised, i don't know what to say
>>
>>53715921
>watching anime alone forever

Basically this. Have Plex from when it was Mac-only and shill-free and still to this day it fails to correctly identify anime shows 20-25% of the time without renaming files. I understand that this is not specifically a Plex limitation, my point is that even my level of autism isn't high enough to spend days renaming files so Plex can "keep it neatly organized".

I just leave the stuff on a shared drive now.
>>
>>53715961
This is one of the most autistic reasoning statements I've read on 4chan.
>>
>>53715961
>UI
>>>/v/
>>
>>53715177
yes
>>
I use kodi on Amazon Firetv boxes at home, but I also have a plex server for when I travel and when I want to share or watch a friends media
>>
>>53716267
Are you honestly going to say a cli is better for your media collection?
>>>/autism/
>>
>>53715224
>Are they going to give it to the feds? Maybe.
What are they going to do with it? Wipe their asses with it?

You do realize pirating media is not a crime, right? Jesus fucking christ you people are so fucking stupid.
>>
>>53716158
Ya thats how apple users justify buying a 5k unit when a $700 pc is faster
>>
>>53716156
>Have Plex from when it was Mac-only and shill-free and still to this day it fails to correctly identify anime shows 20-25% of the time without renaming files
Stop organizing it via its Japanese name and Plex will recognize it just fine you fucking weeb.
>>
>>53715177
I don't care, it's dogshit. Popcorn time will NEVER EVER be a thing ;_;
>>
>>53717231
But it is?
>>
>>53717377
again*
>>
>>53715177
>Kodi seems to be more about finding random streams online.
No, the shoddily written pieces of shit addons aggregating links to garbage encodes on slow-ass file lockers are not what Kodi's about at all. They're not even allowed to be hosted or discussed on the official project site, but are favorites of scammers selling pirate boxes on eBay and other kinds of mouthbreather hicks who don't know shit about quality.

Kodi's the best HTPC software there is at present, with customizability in just about every aspect and quality media playback. The for-pay network streaming server/clients (Emby, Plex) don't even come close to it, but since it's a more traditional application you don't get the centralized server and transcoding features those have to offer.

The Emby addon for Kodi is actually pretty nice, so until a native server solution is developed the two softwares coupled work out as an alright stopgap solution if you need multi-client access.
>>
>>53715371

Set up a NAS server.
>>
>>53716158
I bet you have a room full of piss bottles.

>>53715632
Transcoding is shit regardless

>>53716504
Or maybe we think setting up an automated system that presents everything elegantly and with convenient access to metadata is better than being an autistic manchild pointing and clicking in VLC's file selector

>>53716560
Just use sickrage or Reddit software sonarr to automatically download and rename all your shit to tvdb conventions and focus on watching content instead of managing it

>>53717231
Popcorn time was yiffy trash

>>53717829
>Set up a NAS server.
>Network Access Server Server
Good idea
>>
>>53717875
>he was too dumb to write a translation proxy to use another source than lolyiffi!
>he used it only for movies!
Spotted the plebeian.
>>
>>53715800

I just right click on the file and stream it to my smart tv, but there is less functionality that way
>>
I just want to get rid of cable but still have a solution that automatically procures some media for my girlfriend who is the big TV consumer in the house.

Plex can do this right? Autodownload from RSS and then start serving it to the network?
>>
>>53718408
>Plex can do this right?
No, Plex is the database and playback workhorse.

You're thinking of something external that fetches content, downloads it, names it if appropriate, then places it into the appropriate media folder.
Plex then catches that media, and adds an entry in its library to be played back.
>>
>>53718519
Err, right. I used it in the past very briefly because I had windows home server that did both Plex and had a utorrent thing that allowed me to do this.
>>
plex would be nice if you didnt habe to pay fucking money to use the mobile app. i dont give a shit about stupid logins, i can remember my own fucking ip

but considering i could never get the stupid thing to ever actually PLAY any videos regardless, i just have up and went back to plugging an external hard drive directly into my tv
>>
why do you people need a fancy UI to play your videos?

browse a fucking folder, open the file, and that's it
>>
>>53715224
Plex has no idea if your media is pirated or not. Stop being a paranoid dumbass and use your brain
>>
>>53718588
tbf you can use the webapp in [web browser of choice] for identical functionality

given that the server handles the heavy lifting there's little oomph needed on your mobile device anyway
>>
>>53718605
For me so it's so my tech illiterate girlfriend can just point and play in the living room. I'm fine watching and browsing through folders.
>>
>>53717875
It's network attached storage
>>
>>53715215
LINUX'D
>>53715371
literally anything..
>>
>>53718588
I got the app for free during an amazon promo. No monthly fees, but i Cant stream outside home net
>>
>>53718746
Infodump: the mobile apps are free, but restricted to a minutes' playback of video at a time.

Ordinarily this restriction is unlocked by paying an IAP - or in your case having it grandfathered in to your Amazon account through paying originally. You can't do any of the stuff associated with the monthly Plex sub, though (offline mobile sync being the biggie).

Otherwise, the monthly Plex subscription takes care of the unlock anyway.
>>
File: 1350198060128.jpg (9 KB, 263x297) Image search: [Google]
1350198060128.jpg
9 KB, 263x297
>>53717875
NAS stands for network attached storage...
>>
>>53718925
I don't care about any of the features except for streaming, work on amazon.

Not sure if the Amazon app still needs to be unlocked, but they might have changed it.
>>
>>53718925

Still bugs me that they charge for it. I'm never paranoid about anything but paying for something that plays my pirated shit irks me
>>
>>53718641
>>>53715224
>Plex has no idea if your media is pirated or not. Stop being a paranoid dumbass and use your brain
> avatar.1080p.x264.webrip-yify.mkv

Gee wiz officer I just chose that filename when I saved my now-lost copy of avatar to my 26TB network share.
>>
>>53719862
...so rename it?
>>
>>53719862

Exactly. There's no way the metadata for at the very least the file names aren't being recorded.
>>
Can we post Plex usernames so anons can share media?
>>
>>53720101
shoo mr fbi
>>
>>53715479
>not using the emby add-on for kodi.
>>
>>53720600
That is half the reason to use Emby to begin with
>>
>>53715177
The feds don't care about anime cartoons.
>>
>>53718408
sonarr does this
its fucking great.
it querrys KAT (or private trackers if your into that gay shit)
sends a torrent link to qbittorrent.
qbittorrent downloads
once done, Sonarr scrapes it.
Renames it for me
organizes it

Then i have plex do the front-end work
shits so kash
>>
>>53723070
you can also set quality parameters
say above 8gb for 1080p movies
or above 1gb for a tv episode
>>
>>53719845
plex is free for roku, Xbox one, and PC

Android you either pay the $100 for membershitp or $5 for the app
>>
>>53723070
>>53723085

That's exactly what I want. Will look into it.

>>53723125

Don't you need an account to use the app though?
>>
>>53723266
Yeah but the free account
Not sure they let you use it without one

Emby works too, but plex's UI is 1000x better for non-PCs
>>
>>53715388
>Embry
Fucking .net AIDS program that doesn't even fucking run on mono/Linux anymore.
>>
>>53723298
Balls, I don't want to give them information. I know they aren't looking to do anything nefarious, but if the FBI compels them, well, that's another story.
>>
>>53723335
>FBI
either get more tin-foil or use a 10minute mail to set up the account
>>
>>53717875
It's network attached storage server you dork
>>
>>53716156
Have MyAnimeList provide metadata you fucking pleb.
>>
>>53717875
> useing vlc like it's a file browser
Ahhhhhaaaa no wonder you just explained a ton about yourself.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.