[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok guys, advise me wich linux distro I should install. >no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: linux distros.jpg (70 KB, 900x345) Image search: [Google]
linux distros.jpg
70 KB, 900x345
Ok guys,

advise me wich linux distro I should install.

>no gentoo
>no arch

It should run good on 2014 Mac Mini
>>
>>53714683
Xubuntu + Compton
>>
Arch would be cute but failing that just install Fedora. It's pretty good about holding your hand. Make sure you put KDE on it. Also dual boot so that when you realize that OS X is fine you can go back easily.
>>
>>53714683
> install Ubuntu
> sudo apt-get install i3
> sudo apt-get install screenfetch
> /g/ worthy
>>
>>53714683
Just put some time off and install gentoo already. It's literally not hard as long as you read the installation guide carefully.
>>
>>53714755
Gentoo sucks
>>
>>53714683
Install the distro that is easiest to maintain, stable and doesn't update very often so you can focus on your development projects or whatever you use a pc for.

Ubuntu LTS or Mint are good choices

Stay away from Arch and Gentoo
>>
Fedora with cinnamon.
>>
>>53714803
Debian stable?
>>
>>53714787
Of course the idiot provides no arguments for his opinion...
>>
>>53714820
I used it for a long of time because it was easy, stable and no constantly updated

If you install and it works in your hardware after one day of tweaking max, then keep using it. If not install Ubuntu or Mint and stick with them. Don't distro hop.

Also stay away from Fedora. You don't want to be Red Hat's alpha tester
>>
File: VMs.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
VMs.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>53714683
Don't ask. Run them all and choose what is best for you. It's too personal for you to ask.
>>
>>53714891
I'm currently in an intermediary period since I was trying to purge gnome 3 off my system and accidentally deleted internet access off my machine. So I'm considering staying with debian or moving to ubutnu or opensuse. My data isn't lost but I have the option to switch now
>>
>>53714683
Anything but Arch
I'm on a rMBP and Debian worked for me
>>
This thread needs moar Manjaro. All the benefits of Arch, minus the autism.
>>
>>53714683
Gentoo!
>no Gentoo
Shit!

Then Arch!
>no Arch
Shit!

LFS!
>>
>>53714931
I think I'll try that in VB
>>
>>53714683
Elementary. So clean.
>>
>>53714787
Fuck you. Gentoo is the most customizable distro in the list.
>>
>>53714965
shitty OOBE
>>
>Linux distro
All of these are distributions of GNU. What are you talking about?
>>
>>53714990
I hate people like you dude...
I bet you do not have any friends
>>
>>53714980
Why are you even on /g/?
>>
>>53714683
Calculate Linux. Gentoo benefits without it's autism
>>
File: rms1.jpg (72 KB, 393x298) Image search: [Google]
rms1.jpg
72 KB, 393x298
>>53715002
>>
>>53715007
To make you wish I was not
>>
File: rms.jpg (144 KB, 1395x1395) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
144 KB, 1395x1395
>>53714683

Ι'd јust like tο interјect fοr a mοment. What yοu're referring tο as Linux, is in fact, GΝU/Linux, οr as Ι've recently taken tο calling it, GΝU plus Linux. Linux is nοt an οperating system untο itself, but rather anοther free cοmpοnent οf a fully functiοning GΝU system made useful by the GΝU cοrelibs, shell utilities and vital system cοmpοnents cοmprising a full OS as defined by ΡOSΙX.

Many cοmputer users run a mοdified versiοn οf the GΝU system every day, withοut realizing it. Τhrοugh a peculiar turn οf events, the versiοn οf GΝU which is widely used tοday is οften called "Linux", and many οf its users are nοt aware that it is basically the GΝU system, develοped by the GΝU Ρrοјect.

Τhere really is a Linux, and these peοple are using it, but it is јust a part οf the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the prοgram in the system that allοcates the machine's resοurces tο the οther prοgrams that yοu run. Τhe kernel is an essential part οf an οperating system, but useless by itself; it can οnly functiοn in the cοntext οf a cοmplete οperating system. Linux is nοrmally used in cοmbinatiοn with the GΝU οperating system: the whοle system is basically GΝU with Linux added, οr GΝU/Linux. All the sο-called "Linux" distributiοns are really distributiοns οf GΝU/Linux.
>>
>>53714731
Underrated
>>
>>53714945
You forgot Exherbo.
>>
>>53714990
Autism
>>
>>53714683
Debian or Fedora.
>>
>>53715129
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>53714731
>apt-get
triggered
>>
>>53715289
>exherbo
>keep seeing this mentioned on /g/ lately
>finally look it up
>front page just screams "autistic /g/ kiddos"

nope.avi
>>
Xubuntu
>>
>>53714683
Ubuntu with gnome or OpenSuse with KDE would be muh choise.
>>
perhaps xubuntu

maybe ubuntu with cinnamon. just gott ainstall it yourself since no flavor of it.

crunchbang is aight
antergos is okay . it is arch but work sout of box
>>
>>53714683
Windows 10,
Linux is a shit meme OS.
>>
These questions are silly. Just try a few out. Do you have your own brain? Use it.
>>
File: 1-big.png (596 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1-big.png
596 KB, 1280x800
>>
Antergos is top notch
>>
>>53714959
Lack of customization better go for Ubuntu variant or Mint.
>>
Kubuntu quick to install best GUI
>>
Or if you want to go hard or go home, LFS
>>
File: 1448947816288.jpg (45 KB, 720x541) Image search: [Google]
1448947816288.jpg
45 KB, 720x541
>>53714913
'gotta open 'em all.
>>
>>53714683
Enumerate the distros you'd be interested in trying. Generate a random number to select which one to try. Install the one fate dictates, repeat 3-4 times or as many as necessary. Realize there isn't really that much of a difference between distributions. Find the distribution that has stuff you like in their repos (versions do matter if you are interested in a specific application) and go with it.
>>
>>53714683
fedora
>>
>>53714683
Arch and Gentoo are the best, no matter how much you try to keep away from them :^)
>>
Mint
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.