[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, i am 18 years old, and my dream is to learn programming,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1457179028526.jpg (262 KB, 942x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457179028526.jpg
262 KB, 942x1200
Hi, i am 18 years old, and my dream is to learn programming, i have a certain fluency in English, so i think that will help. what is the first step? how much does a programmer make? how much can i learn about programming here and how long would it take to start working on it?
>>
You should probably give up if you're not able to google the answers to these questions. Like 9/10ths of programming is researching solutions to problems.
>>
First of all does your computer have 64GB of RAM and have you successfully installed gentoo? This is very important.
>>
4chan aint a hugbox kid, no one gives a shit about you here
>>
>>53708174
kys
>>
>>53708167
Hi,how are you doing ? i can google it, but i know 4chan has a lot of people who work in that profession, and could help me.
>>53708168
no
>>53708174
That's totally fine, you dont need to help me.
>>
>>53708156
I am going to be the only serious person you will ever meet on this board, so let's get started.

1. Good for you being 18. Prepare to exit high school, have your friends sever contact with you aside from facebook because they're moving on with their lives, and a depressing alcohol-and-possibly-drug infused future.

2. You have a future goal. What you need to do is start learning. No need to take a college course, most times a degree is meaningless if you can't think abstractedly with code you learn. Sometimes self-taught is better but a degree can be a helping hand.

3. English is an absolute must.

4.The first step is to pick a language. My advice: get a dart board. Write up a bunch of languages on a piece of paper and stick it to the board. Throw dart. You have a starting point. I don't care if it's assembly or html, you're learning it. Buy actual books, ebooks tend to let you shift attention to games or programs or facebook.

5. Get a good work ethic. Learn about the language for at least an hour or two a day. Sit in a blank room with just your computer for that time and don't allow internet access. You've got a book, believe in yourself.

6.The amount programmers make can differ between countries. The minimum wage is generally believed to be $51 an hour in most places so anything less than $45 is a rip off.

7. Technically you can't learn about programming here, you discuss what you know, troubleshoot, and help others. Visit the web development general /wdg/ and daily programming threads. Only you can help yourself, other can only push you in the right direction. Asking others to solve your problem won't help you. This isn't high school anymore, no teacher will accept your half assed work with a smily face emoji and an A+ symbol. You fuck up your learning, your future is crap.

8. The duration can take anywhere between a few days (html) to months (eg; php). Programming in general however is an eternal learning process.

Your future starts with you.
>>
>>53708196
please go away
>>53708174
please go away
>>
>>53708265
very straight and serious answer, thank you.
I will start studying right now, even though i have a ton of homework to study.

I am from Brazil, and after i spent 6 months in the US it changed me, and i hope its possible to move there again or go to Canada with an programming job and start a new life since my country is really fucked up.
>>
File: guideTo1stLanguage.png (74 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
guideTo1stLanguage.png
74 KB, 661x716
>>53708156
>what is the first step?
>how much does a programmer make?
>how much can i learn about programming here and how long would it take to start working on it?

There is nothing magical about writing a computer program.

If you want to learn how to program a computer then:
1) Pick a language you want to learn

2) Select a relatively simple text editor to use (Windows=notepad++, Mac=TextWrangler, Linux=Gedit). I just listed some suggestions. But there are a lot of good text editors out there. It doesn't matter which one you use.

3) Use your favorite Internet search engine to find a tutorial to work through. It doesn't matter how good or bad the tutorial is. Work through it. If you don't like it then move on to one of the other hundreds of beginner tutorials out there. There is no best tutorial. If you complete a tutorial, then find another one.

4) You will get stuck. When you have problems then use your favorite Internet search engine to find a solution. You are not special. Any issue you run into won't be special. Hundreds of people before you have had the same problem and posted about it on the Internet. Yes it would be easier to ask on your favorite Chinese Cartoon imageboard, but you won't learn anything doing that. Learning how to debug your own code and solve you own problems is *important*.

The Internet is full of experts on programming languages and best practices. In the beginning of your "quest" you should ignore these people. In the beginning you don't need the "best" language, it is ok to waste your time on a "shit" language. The first language you learn probably won't be the same language you use 10 years from now. Enjoy the ride.

BTW, I'm working on my master's in electrical engineering. I started programming in BASIC. I have used Pascal, C, C++, Java, and most recently Python. I'm not an expert and never will be. But I can say with complete certainty, programming is boring as hell.

Good luck.
>>
>>53708156
do meth. lots of it.
>>
>>53708341
thank you !

Can i do freelancing? what was your first paid experience in programming?
>>
>>53708330
Good to hear anon. Even if you can only manage an hour a day, you're doing something which is more than most people can say. A lot of people here don't even do that. Hell, even I don't do that when I should be, bad study habits can ruin your learning permanently. Though as of today I've decided I'm going to correct that.
Have faith, soon you'll get out of your country. Ideally I'd say not America since there's a lot of programming competition there, but it is ultimately your choice.
>>
>>53708388
>Can i do freelancing?
I'm not the right person to ask this question. I don't know anyone that does "freelancing".

If you know nothing about programming then just start learning the basics. In my opinion, companies aren't going to hire someone that is a beginner. You have to know a skill that people are willing to pay for.

Also, programming is really a method of accomplishing *something*. You need to figure you what you want to do. Simply saying "I want to program" is stupid in my opinion. Do you want to develop social media software for mobile devices? Do you want to be a "webdev"? Do you want to develop the next generation video codecs? Are you interested in kernel development?

>what was your first paid experience in programming?
I'm not a programmer. I never wanted to be a programmer. I never want to be a programmer. Programming is boring, but it is a necessary evil in my world.

That being said, toward the end of my undergrad degree I had a friend hook me up with a software dev job at a small company. I developed software for DOS-based (old) handheld barcode scanners. This was years ago. Used C/C++ and then used some Java for some simple web applications. I only got the job because of my friend.
>>
>>53708156
>how much does a programmer make?
See, this is how you NOT learn programming
>>
>>53708599
i knew someone would say that, but i have to get an idea to know if i can live by myself without depending on my parents.
>>
First, eat a fucking hamburger

Second, if you are truly committed start with C and download as many O'Reilly books on it as well as the K&R book. Starting with C has certain advantages.

Also apply for uni, it's harder to get a job without it. Can't do uni? Do TAFE or community college then plan to transfer, always get at least a bachelor.
>>
>>53708265
why couldn't all anons be like you?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.