[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I plug a cable into this, will my house be cable internet ready?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: tpia.jpg (1004 KB, 1462x2599) Image search: [Google]
tpia.jpg
1004 KB, 1462x2599
My house doesn't have a cable, because it was cut out by the previous owners. So if I plug a cable into this panel, will I get internet cable again?

The other cable goes to my neighbour.
>>
>>53704059
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>53704116
You're a pretty big internet
>>
>>53704130
for you
>>
>>53704059
>So if I plug a cable into this panel, will I get internet cable again?
No, but you can get arrested.
>>
>>53704059
Yes, do it.
>>
File: 1458917274888.png (218 KB, 675x358) Image search: [Google]
1458917274888.png
218 KB, 675x358
>>53704059
You want to use that open OJ port OP
>>
you could probably get cable tv if you connect it but the cable modem would have to be registered or whatever
>>
illegal
>>
File: _.jpg (8 KB, 201x216) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
8 KB, 201x216
>>53704430
>>
>>53704430
What is an open OJ port?

>>53704225
>>53704602
hmm, but would the police find out?

Would two different connections come out of this? All I want is internet, of course I am paying for a plan.
>>
>>53706755
The telephone pole is not your property. Regardless of your intentions you cannot do anything to it
>>
>>53704059
no, the line carries everyone's connection multiplexed together using TDMA, if you plug a modem into it nothing will happen since in order to use that signal for data you need to perform a DOCSIS handshake and authentication, only then will you be assigned bandwidth and be able to stand up a IP link or decode tv channels.

the way this works is by issuing the modems ID(the MAC address) and then the ID is authenticated by a centralised accounting system, only if that ID is valid and marked as serviceable at your node(why you can't take modems with you) will it stand up a physical connection.

more reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
>>
>>53707017
..legally
>>
>>53707206
4 u
>>
>>53707206
nah, because you still need to authenticate on the network with a user account.
>>
You can plug it in and steal some basic tv.
That's it.

Internet and anything else requiring hardware like a modem or DVR to gain access to higher tier channels requires you to have an account that the equipment is tied to so it can talk to the main office.

If your cable company uses Tivo or something similar that utilizes MoCA networking then you can possibly plug in an adapter and steal your neighbors internet if they had an installer that was shit and didn't put a filter to stop the MoCA signal from bleeding back into the tap and they also don't have it passworded/encrypted (They almost never are because the filter works well enough on its own).

And you probably won't have any real repercussions to being caught if you act retarded about it and just say it was always hooked up and you had no idea the tv wasn't just basic free shit or something.
The only time I ever saw somebody actually get into some shit for cable theft is when they were actively stealing their neighbors cable with a two way splitter in the wall between their apartments causing the people paying for it to experience massive slowdowns on the internet, phone not working correctly, etc and I had to go over multiple times to fix it.
Not sure what ultimately happened to that fuck but I know the law was called on him and en-route when I left the last time.

TL:DR
You can try, no harm in it
If you get caught act stupid and don't push your luck again.
Damn sure never steal take it from another paying customer if you're not smart enough to do it in a way that they don't notice anything is wrong thus causing them to call somebody out to fix it.
Good luck.

Faggot
>>
File: Capture.jpg (235 KB, 1831x855) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
235 KB, 1831x855
>>53704059
>will I get internet cable again
No you will just show up in muh CMTS as unauthorized, and it will tell me what node you are on. You know is some cases its a federal offence depending on where you mess with cables like that right?

Pic related as its my CMTS at work.
>>
File: 1426452708087.jpg (36 KB, 396x479) Image search: [Google]
1426452708087.jpg
36 KB, 396x479
>>53707250
>"because you still need to authenticate on the network with a user account"
>"authenticate on the network with a user account"
>"AUTHENTICATE"
>"WITH A USER ACCOUNT"

this fucking guy mang lmao
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.