[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I learn Ruby or Python? Can they achieve the same results?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: ruby-lang.png (67 KB, 393x346) Image search: [Google]
ruby-lang.png
67 KB, 393x346
Should I learn Ruby or Python?

Can they achieve the same results?

Which one does it more elegantly?
>>
You must be new here.
>>
50/50
I see them as pretty much the same. But I use python.
http://learn.onemonth.com/ruby-vs-python
>>
I use ruby, it's really easy, elegant and almost as you're writing english sometimes.

Ruby has perfect object orientation, so if that's what you're used to, go for it.
>>
You should try both and see which syntax you like the most. Personally, I prefer Python
>>
>>53702415
this really. if you have particular tasks that you are looking to do it might pay to look up relevant libraries in each language also.
>>
>>53702019
I like Ruby but Python has far wider adoption which means more opportunity and far larger library, so sadly Python is most likely better for your uses.
>>
Remember that you're in an anime website, choose the japanese one, senpai.
>>
Python. It's 25 years old and still exploding in popularity. Also it's faster, the community is bigger and the syntax is nicer.
>>
>>53702019
while they're arguably as similar as it gets, programming language wise, my opinion is this:

ruby is by far and away the more beautiful language. the syntax looks nicer and is nicer to type, the object orientation model is just clearer, function calls are much more stringent in terms of syntax through the libraries and the pipe thing is just plain beautiful compared to python's equivalent.
still, i use python for more of my projects and literally all my prototyping because there's more packages available and platform independence is just much more nicely handled. and if you want to whip up a quick GUI for something, PyQt really is your friend and is just in general a formidable tool to work with.

so if you're looking into anything that doesn't need a bunch of very particular libraries or doesn't directly need to interface with hardware, by all means go with ruby, especially if you're looking to do web based things. for literally anything else, i'd recommend python.

in direct answer to your questions:
you should learn both.
largely, but python has vastly more packages available to use.
arguably ruby, but that is a matter of taste.
>>
>>53702524
>it's faster
not all of the time
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/ruby.html
I prefer python though because of the larger community (more information available), and everything is really direct, straight forward, and obvious
ruby seems more like a nicer perl to me though
>>
>>53702019
>Can they achieve the same results?
Yes
>Which one does it more elegantly?
Ruby. Python is a mess. Ruby is consistent in how it handles things and has a cuter syntax.
>>
File: 1458992047912.jpg (42 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1458992047912.jpg
42 KB, 250x250
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.