[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which word processor would be best for writing a resume?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1
File: word-logo.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
word-logo.png
18 KB, 256x256
Which word processor would be best for writing a resume?
>>
vi
>>
>>53699824
Microsoft Word is the only acceptable editor for Microsoft Word documents. Open source alternatives are fucking shit.

If you don't care what format you're working in, then still Microsoft Word as open source alternatives are fucking shit.
>>
Word or Latex.
>>
>>53699824
Word is probably fine, but I wrote a comfy one in Google Docs.
If you've got the time Latex could also work fine.
>>
LaTeX
>>
Real men use troff
>>
>>53699852
this and only this. don't listen to any of these autizmo neckbeards.
>>
>>53699999
>>
>>53699849
I can't get anything looking decently professional and not like a primary schooler shat it out for his space assignment with word.
>>53699852
>>53699868
>>53699873
People seem to be saying Latex then, I'll have a look, cheers.
>>
>>53699958
>People seem to be saying Latex then, I'll have a look, cheers.
Learning latex is an investment of time. If you need something quick, use something you already know.
>>
>>53699995
I just need something I can easily fit a lot of info into a small space without it looking like shit. I can use word or opensuse but I thought I'd check to see if anyone could recommend something different.
>>
>>53699905
SUPERSEDED By LaTeX
SUPERSEDED By LaTeX
SUPERSEDED By LaTeX
>>
>>53700016
Why would you use OpenSUSE? That's a GNU/Linux distribution.
>>
>>53700069
My current machine is windows. My laptop running linux is fucked right now.
>>
>>53699995
there are plenty of resume templates freely available online
>>
nano
>>
Literally anything that can format text and export to PDF is OK.
>>
>>53699824

MS Word is about the only format most HR drones accept. Some take PDF but for the most part all require MS Word.
>>
>>53700092
OpenSUSE is an operating system, not a word processor.
>>
>>53700114
OpenOffice holy fuck I'm tired.
>>
LaTeX to make everything all pretty, but anything WYSIWYG will work for a minimum wage job.
>>
>>53700124
Get some sleep anon. We're worried about you <3
>>
>>53700157
ily /g/
>>
Got a lot more offers off LaTeX, editing a template is easy and your finished product doesnt look like a bad joke
>>
>>53700103
This, always convert to pdf unless the application site specifically requires a different file type.
>>
>>53700103
>>53700673
Does doing this basically cover the muh aestethic benefit of latex? I mean people only use latex because it looks goat.
>>
Pages
I stopped using word bc pages is much more superior and easier to format and it gives you decent templates that doesn't make you look like a downie
>>
The only reason to use LaTeX for a resume is because it has a lot of templates you can copy. There's literally no other benefit over a word processor.
>>
>>53699824
You should check the company/organization website first whether they prefer a certain format. Or ask the HR guy if you're in contact with them.

If they don't state any preferences, look at the size and type of the company.

tech or small to small-ish/medium: use LaTeX; or use openoffice/libreoffice and export to pdf

large-ish/large enterprises: doc is a safer bet, since many of them use automated applicant tracking systems which can't handle pdfs as well as word documents. Protip: use Microsoft Office Online if you don't have windows os

academic: use LaTeX by all means
>>
>>53699824
LaTeX but i use libreoffice because im a retard
>>
OP, if you go with LO, there was a 500 page book about document design in libreoffice released just a few days ago: http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/ free download on the site.
>>
I made my resume a webpage I can print to PDF. Maximum comfy editing.
>>
just use markdown and compile it to PDF or OOXML.
>>
>>53703994
any recommendation as far as program for compilation?
>>
>>53704050
pandoc
>>
>>53703614
please explain this meme to me. Why the hate on LibreOffice?
>>
>>53699824
Latex you tard
>>
>>53699849

Thanks for your contribution, Satya.
>>
>>53699824
M$ Word, 2 Column layout, Boom. Done. I put all my personal information centered in the footer and a deep grey colour.

10 Body font, 16/12 for headers.
>>
Microsoft Word is the only real suggestion. Most companies use automated resume scanners, so your resume needs to be in a format that is easily readable.
>>
indesign
>>
>>53706002
>an xml format with ambiguously defined standards
>easy to parse
>>
>>53699905

Fuck yeah, my troff resume worked out pretty nice.
>>
>>53699824
Literally doesn't matter, as long as you can turn it into a PDF.

Could even write it in HTML and nobody would give a shit.
>>
>>53706038
agree
>>
>>53699824
oh for fuck's sake
>>
>>53706050
yes, OOXML formats are not easily readable, but in reality most automated resume scanners are designed around word documents
>>
>>53706082
some employers (particularly large non-tech companies with rigid bureaucracy) do give a shit. PDF (or any other fancy format) resumes would stand out from the rest, and they go to trash.

If the company explicitly state that they prefer word documents, and some weirdo sent them a pdf, the applicant had failed the test of "following simple instructions"
>>
>>53706223
I really doubt this, but if it's true you're better off not working there. There are always people looking to hire.

PDF has been the standard resume format for years.
>>
>>53706348
>2015
>be me friend
>working in a large-ish engineering company
>the standard collaboration workflow is to zip the source files and email them to the next engineer working on the software, and cc the project manager
>proposes to set up a git server
>proposal rejected

Yeah, PDF is the standard, but some companies simply won't adopt standards for some closed-minded bureaucracy reasons. It's quite sad that in my country, those companies are the companies paying the highest salaries.
>>
>>53700113
That's absolute bullshit. I've never come across an employer or recruitment aggregator that doesn't accept PDFs.

Maybe spend a little time in the workforce before spouting shit.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.