[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be windows >your filename is too long, unable to delete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: readImage?iid=7064805.jpg (35 KB, 544x517) Image search: [Google]
readImage?iid=7064805.jpg
35 KB, 544x517
>be windows
>your filename is too long, unable to delete
>try to change filename
>your filename is too long, unable to change filename
>try to move file to desktop or disk
>unable to move

what the fuck am i supposed to do at this point? is this for real? how did MS get away with such a huge oversight?
>>
>>53699449
gj you fucked over your file system.
Try to do something with a linux system.
Or try to use Powershell.
>>
yeah that shit can be a giant pain in the ass. for some reason i have seen machines with an app data path that literally copies itself into itself for like 50 fucking levels down making some giant fuckretarded path.

the solution is to use a live cd, or any sort of linux environment and just remove the top level folder that way.
>>
map a drive to a folder above the file in question. That will shorten the filename and allow you to do things with it.
>>
>>53699488
so i'd have to boot up linux and rm -r /path/of/pure/autism?
>>
>>53699449
Shorten the name(s) of the parent folder(s).
>>
>>53699507
You don't need Linux to fix this. All you have to do is open my computer, map a network drive, and map said drive to a folder just above the file you are trying to get at. This shortens the filename in windows and allows you to access it. I'm a Windows sysadmin and retards do this shit all the time at work, this is the simplest fix without having to resort to booting into Linux.
>>
>>53699449
Just take a USB flash drive, put Puppy on it, boot with the USB and rename the thing
>>
>>53699449
boot from usb with linux and delete the file.

same thing happened when i made a file with a zerowidth space filename in windows too.
i wonder if its still like that.
>>
>>53699507
that is what i normally do, however >>53699529
has a method that works as well
>>
robocopy purge works for me
>>
>people saying to boot a livecd

No, just map the folder to a drive

subst z: C:\folder

Then delete from there.

Also microsoft obviously knows about this flaw but they HAVE to keep it in because of "muh backwards compatibility" with 40 year old operating systems or else the enterprise customers will get pissed.
>>
>>53699449
>be linux
>get files from windows
>oh wait I cant because linux doesnt support path names of this length
>>
>>53699529
oh sorry man. i ended up booting arch linux and deleting the folder. i feel bad doing it that way instead of utilizing the OS the issue popped up on.

>>53699609
i tried to do that but it still said it was too long. is it possible to actually produce this error with the just filename being beyond the character limit? i think my script may have caused it because i saved an image with a shitload of tags, but it usually saves under the limit, however i decided to override that and put specific tags like subject or date on their at all times, which could push that limit. in any case when i moved the folder to my F:\ drives main directory it still said it was too long. would mapping it with network discovery?

>>53699640
what do you mean? i just used it to get to the files.
>>
>>53699529
see the problem is i had a ton of files doing this due to each file being under a folder of source and date. would i have to map each every single date folder manually?
>>
>>53699640
>Panjeet can't even read.
Pathetic.
>>
>>53699716
do you have a root folder that all of these folders reside in? If so map to that one and maybe that'll shorten it up enough. If not you're SOL and you need to be better with your file system.
>>
>>53699609
>muh backwards compatibility
Thanks to SystemD, Linux will be the exact same way in 5-10 years.
>>
>>53699449
you boot in to another operating system and delete it from there
or look up a solution on stackoverflow from pajeet
>>
>>53699716
robocopy c:\emptyfolder c:\folder\you\want\to\delete /purge
>>
>>53699449
Use a command line you dufus.
cmd: ren longname shortname
PS: rename-item longname shortname -force

I mean, how hard can it be? Stop bashing your head against the wall with your stupid GUIs.
>>
I remember when I used to have windows I faced this problem, and I used a program to solve it, I can't remember what it was though.

Alternatively , you can the following :
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/tlpd/
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.