[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>use ios 9 >the fbi cant even decrypt this thing >the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4
>use ios 9
>the fbi cant even decrypt this thing
>the fbi cant even decrypt imessages
>the fbi cant even decrypt facetime audio and video calls

>use latest shitdroid
>fbi can decrypt everything and its not like google doesnt help break into your phone anyways

literally why do you faglord assmunchers use android if you value privacy?

dont get me wrong, im using an android phone right now that hasnt seen an update in 4 years. as soon as iphone gets dual front facing speakers im jumping the shitdroid ship for unbeatable encryption. use a passphrase and then even bruteforcing will take millenniums
>>
File: image.gif (161 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
161 KB, 500x375
>He actually thinks the NSA can't decrypt iMessage and Facetime
>He actually thinks information isn't passed on or "anonymously leaked" to law enforcement agencies like the FBI
>>
>>53690997
>He doesn't know how encryption works
>>
>>53690908

>touch id
>fbi agent cuts your finger off
>uses it to access phone
>>
>>53691037
thats why you dont use it or wait until apple makes it so can have both passphrase with touch id or else it wont unlock unless both are used
>>
>>53691018
Can you verify your iMessage encryption keys?
>>
File: hahahahaha.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
hahahahaha.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>53690908
>the fbi cant even decrypt this thing
People believe this shit?
LMAO
A
M
O
>>
>>53691061
dont have to nigguh it just werks
>>
>>53691066
Pretty much this, I get a feeling this is for publicity and to halt/redirect public opinion on government spying.
>>
>>53690997
is there a documented case where it ever has been?
>>
You never see Google vs FBI on the court, because you know what. Disk encryption is disabled by default because it will slow down the device. It's only "mandatory" on Android 6.0, which you don't have now.
You never see "locked Samsung Galaxy 7" for selling at the internet because even if it's locked, you can format it back to factory condition with ease.

Android protection is a joke.
>>
>>53691221
Isn't it only mandatory on devices that won't shit themselves when you turn it on?
>>
>>53690997
>I don't know what NP-completeness is
>I have no clue what the fuck I'm talking about
>what is AES256?
>What is SHA1024?
>>
>>53691090
If you can't verify the encryption keys it's retarded to act as if you're 100% secure by using iMessage and FaceTime- especially with all the resources (secret courts, gag orders, infiltration of corporations, etc) at the NSA's disposal.

This isn't tin-foil shit anymore.

>>53691136
The FBI gets "anonymous tips" in high level cases all the time that just so happen to include recorded phone conversations and web logs.
>>
>>53691244
Again, can you verify the encryption keys for iMessage or are you just trusting Apple that everything is actually kosher, Shlomo?
>>
>>53691136

>documented case

Do you even know how this works?

Its been informally doing this via "parallel construction" for years, probably decades for the IRS, DEA, and FBI. Recently, the government has said "fuck it" and made it official.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/us/politics/obama-administration-set-to-expand-sharing-of-data-that-nsa-intercepts.html
>>
>>53691268
>>53691251
>not knowing how the keys are generated
>>
>>53691268
>I STILL don't know what NP-completeness is
What you just said is pretty much in the definition.
Verification is extremely easy in NP-complete problems. Research it dammit.
>>
>>53691268
Apple don't even know the keys
>>
>>53691251
>The FBI gets "anonymous tips" in high level cases all the time that just so happen to include recorded phone conversations and web logs.
I didn't ask for you to regurgitate the same shit you posted with "all the time" added to make it look more legit, I asked you to show some proof, whether from the snowden leaks or otherwise, that the NSA has decrypted someone's iMessage/Facetime communications without a warrant and "anonymously" tipped the FBI off in a way that it can actually be used against the defendant without everything being thrown out in court.

>>53691273
And look at that! More paragraph-length "you don't need to prove it! it's the government!" bullshit.
>>
>>53691321

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/08/dea-and-nsa-team-intelligence-laundering

You're never going to find a case because they do it in secret. They launder the info the NSA gives them and use the laundered info illegally in court. If there were a way to prove it was done in an individual case, then that evidence would be thrown out, but they would never admit to receiving info from the NSA.
>>
>>53690908
>what is the fappening
>>
>>53691321

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/18/imessage-qualcast-security-weakness

Derp.
>>
>>53690908
>the fbi cant even decrypt imessages
>the fbi cant even decrypt facetime audio and video calls
>>
>>53691321

>Apple receives National Security Letter from a single FBI agent
>legally obligated to hand over keys
>indefinite gag order
>no judicial review
>no warrant
>muh national security
>muh land of the free
>>
>>53691288
P = NP though anon
>>
>>53691485

Prove it. I will literally give you 10 million dollars.
>>
>>53691386
>muh tinfoil
>>
>>53691510

Read the damn link. It's old news and certainly not /tinfoil/ after Snowden.

This was just in the news the other day:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/03/10/surprise-nsa-data-will-soon-routinely-be-used-for-domestic-policing-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-terrorism/
>>
>>53691466
>legally obligated to hand over keys

Nope. See:
>plead the fifth
>>
>>53691542

LAVABIT
>>
>>53691541
gimme sauce.

lol i always debate with myself if i want to be top or bottom more
>>
So I can watch cheese pizza and buy drugs safely with an iPhone?

Awesome, gonna switch tomorrow
>>
>>53691555

That was outright illegal, hence proving snowden right.
>>
>>53691386
Interesting articles, though they seem to focus more on DEA information sharing. I'll take it.

>>53691429
This has nothing to do with what I asked for, and even disregarding that, it's only speculation, it doesn't prove shit.

>>53691466
>wall of substance-free meme arrow garbage
>"muh"/"land of the free" masturbatory meme shit
>double fucking enter spaces
Oh boy, did another retard link /g/ on the front page of /r/technology again? Fuck off back there, if you don't mind.
>>
>>53691531
Your shitty link has nothing to do with decrypting or the FBI dummy
>>
>>53691593

If Apple got a NSL, do you think they would close their doors or comply?

>>53691597

It's several well-vetted security experts saying Applel is full of shit for saying they can't access your messages. All they have to do is swap your keys with new keys. This is the fundamental problem with handing your keys to a third-party.

>>53691611

No, my link just shows that the NSA routinely shares info with domestic law enforcement.

My other link shows that Apple has the ability to view iMessages. The contents of your precious "encrypted" messages are just form letter away for any law enforcement agency.
>>
>>53691667
>It's several well-vetted security experts saying Applel is full of shit for saying they can't access your messages. All they have to do is swap your keys with new keys. This is the fundamental problem with handing your keys to a third-party.
And this has literally NOTHING at all to do with what I asked.
>>
>>53691683

They don't have to decrypt iMessage if Apple hands them the keys.
>>
>>53691696
Which again has jack shit to do with anything I said or asked whatsoever.
>>
>>53691722

You're simply not going to find that information in the wild. The artivles I linked are the closest you'll get. The articles prove that the FBI can intercept iMessages at will.

If you're looking for information regarding individual cases, you won't find it because they cover it up in individual cases. Snowden leaked enough to prove that this information laundering takes place, but they never released information regarding individual cases.
>>
>>53690908
You do realise most if not all Android phones have the option to encrypt all their data right?
>>
>>53691858

Not only that, but we have proper support for Tor from the Tor foundation and the guardian project.
>>
>>53691667
>If Apple got a NSL, do you think they would close their doors or comply?

See for yourself. They are actively resisting it.
http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/
>>
>>53691858
where dem FBI vs. Google court cases? where dem at??

android REQUIRES a gmail account to be attched to the phone and guess what my bro google can change and reset your password to shitbirds69fbilol so the fbi can roll on in and unlock your phone with that new password since your gmail is attached to the lockscreen

this makes androids encryption pointless at best
>>
>>53691760
>The articles prove that the FBI can intercept iMessages at will

Intercept =/= decrypt

The intercepted messages are literally garbage until they can read it it.
>>
>>53690908
https://stallman.org/apple.html
>>
>>53691760
But AGAIN, you're still missing the point. I never asked if iShit devices were unbreakable, that has nothing to do with anything, I was asking for documentation on the NSA leaking information on anyone and everyone to any alphabet soup agency that came knocking, to which the articles I received seemed to indicate it was more than likely happening, but not with the reckless abandon /g/ implies.

>Snowden leaked enough to prove that this information laundering takes place
Then where are those documents? I'd be interested in seeing them.
>>
>>53691895
> since your gmail is attached to the lockscreen

Android doesn't work like that. You can't reset the lockscreen code unless you have enterprise management set up on there. It's local to the phone. Using a google account no more makes your phone remote-unlockable than using an Apple account makes your iPhone remote-unlockable.
>>
>>53691933
>Then where are those documents? I'd be interested in seeing them.
Look it up yourself, stupid piece of shit iFag, we're not here to spoonfeed you fucktards.
>>
>>53690908
>letting google into an Android in the first place
LOL. On cyanogenmod I can set my own encryption passphrase, and verify the security.
>>
>>53690908
>if you value privacy?
Don't get me wrong, for people who actually have important shit on their devices or use them for things that contain personal information, encryption is a high priority.

I just don't care though. I've got like nothing on my phone that I would really care that much about if someone got hold of.
>>
>>53691895

>Using android with gapps.

Might as well be using Windows. Apparently Apple can reset the encryption in mosy cases too. They did so in 8-10 cases outside the San Bernadino case.

>>53691885
That's not an NSL. They've received an NSL, undoubtedly, as the FBI issued literally thousands of them. We know they didn't fight it because they haven't talked about it (NSLs have a built-in gag order). Apple has given your keys to the FBI. Not your lockscreen key, because its encrypted locally, but they have your iMessages and Cloud data.

>>53691933

https://theintercept.com/2014/08/25/icreach-nsa-cia-secret-google-crisscross-proton/
>>
>>53691942
Why is it up to me to prove your shitty claims for you? If you know as much as you lead on about, this should be practically a no-brainer.
>>
>>53691960
>Apparently Apple can reset the encryption in mosy cases too

Only on old iphones running old iOS versions.
>>
>>53691960
>ut it (NSLs have a built-in gag order). Apple has given your keys to the FBI. Not your lockscreen key, because its encrypted locally, but they have your iMessages and Cloud data.

No they don't. I don't use the Cloud and iMessages for this very reason. I use a customized app with a secure encryption to send messages, and I don't even have an iCloud account.
>>
>>53691960
>https://theintercept.com/2014/08/25/icreach-nsa-cia-secret-google-crisscross-proton/
Much better.
>>
>>53691972
Nope all new versions as well.
>>
I use an Android phone to message my friends pictures of my cock and to shitpost on social media. I use my iPad and my MacBook to do any sort of serious work or god forbid "incriminating" stuff. Apple is on the side of security and simplicity in computing, while Google has just developed a [for lack of a better phrase because I'm drunk as fuck nigga] more fun mobile operating system where I can make all of my icons lil pictures of Neko Atsume cats if I want. Who the fuck cares nigga, fux with whatever you want. Free Tibet.
>>
>>53692021

Nope, the phone can be wiped/factory reset but encryption can't be removed without losing the data.
>>
>>53691221
you can also factory reset locked iPhones
>>
>>53690908
they share all of their data with the Chinese, this is nothing but a publicity stunt, similar to the "we can't intercept Skype calls"
>>
>>53690908
haha poop smear
>>
Apple certainly take privacy more seriously than Google does, but unfortunately still treat their users with the utmost disrespect. The ghost of Jobs shall have no say what I can and cannot run on my phone.
>>
>>53691221
You don't know how to reset a locked iPhone? You retarded??

Both iPhone and Android defaults are non encrypted.. Its up to each person as to how encrypted you go. Goodluck getting anything off my phone
>>
>>53692703
like what? gentoo? fuck off
>>
>tfw I'm using android 6 with full disk encryption, maximum at 30 attempts or full wipe
>>
>>53693598
mfw google can reset your gmail password and then the guvment uses that to reset your password form https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

dont believe me? go to settings > security > device administrators > android device manager > change the screen unlock password
>>
>>53693751
Yeah, except I don't have device manager or even gApps
>>
>>53691054
Then what's the point of touchid, faggot?
>>
If they really wanted to get the information on the phone, they'd just copy the switch states in the device to however many other virtual machine iPhones they need and brute force them in parallel trying different groups of password combos.
If it's a pin, they only need 10 iPhones and could be done with this within hours
If it's not pin, then I'd say get a virtual machine iPhone for each character on the keyboard and then start running different permutation groups in parallel and they'd be done by the end of the week.
If they use a virtual machine they can bypass time lockout constraints and be done with this.
But they don't want the info on the phone. They want a backdoor.
>>
>>53693846
convenience
>>
>>53692809
What?
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.