[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu 16.04 final beta thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1711471.jpg (59 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1711471.jpg
59 KB, 1024x576
>no Ubuntu thread to celebrate the final beta
Literally kys tho
>>
>ubuntu any.version
legit kys bruv
>>
>>53674094
the lack of attention shows you how shit ubuntu is
>>
>>53674301
Xubuntu is literally the greatest os around
It's also probably the most used on /g/
>>
>>53674734
>It's also probably the most used on /g/

That just proves it to be amateur hipster trash.
>>
>>53674741
Ubuntu is anything but hipster trash, its mainstream now has been since a few years.
>>
>>53674094
Did they implement Mir as the default yet? If not, then there's nothing interesting there.
>>
>>53674741
Not really, hipsters would tend to use osx.
XUbuntu is for those who want to get shit done and not fuck around compiling shit or using broken repos/distros or use meme hat-tipping distros

>>53674778
Well I wouldn't go that far, 0.5% is hardly mainstream
>>
>literally installed Ubuntu MATE Beta 1 last night
>this shit happens the next day
Well, at least Kubuntu finally got into the beta game.
Thanks for the heads up, OP.
>>
>>53674789
Not the default, but you can install it using a one-liner now
>>
Give me a reason to use this beta. I have a relatively new GPU that is not compatible with AMDGPU drivers, but apparently fglrx is not supported there either, so why would I do that? Why would I install an operating system where half my shit is lagging because of stupid open source drivers?
>>
>>53674801
>Well I wouldn't go that far, 0.5% is hardly mainstream
market share has nothing to do with something being mainstream or not, its an alternative OS that is well known right behind windows and OS X.

by your definition Internet Explorer is also "amateur hipster shit" because it has such a small market share compared to chrome firefox and opera.
>>
>>53674094
>Ubuntu 16.04 LTS will let you move Unity 7's launcher to the bottom of your screen

That's good, finally they stopped trying to be a special snowflake. Now just remove top bar, include date and time on bottom bar and you have Windows 7 clone.
>>
>>53674923
More like anything clone. You have 20 DEs that are like Windows already. Hell why even exist, let's just skin XFCE like that.
>>
>>53674953
I don't care as long as it's functional. Using top bar and side bar looks really odd and seems as a waste of space. I don't have anything against just the top OR bottom bar.
>>
>>53674465
Awe does that make you feel better? Did you get the edge out of your system? Yes go on about your arch or whatever makes you feel like a l33t h@x0r. Because clearly Ubuntu is total shit which is how it became the most popular desktop distro of debian, if not all linux. Without corporate power like Microsoft has to push it's winOS'
>>
give me one good reason to install this shit over 14.04
>>
>>53674973
I would say they should give the option to put the dock at the bottom and be less of a bitch about customization. Global menu though, that's something that you have to look for in MATE/XFCE, it ain't the same in Gnome, Ubuntu kinda clones it good.

I mean sure, it's its own thing but since you can use pretty much anything else, it's more of an option for people who don't want precisely the standard.
>>
>>53674801
I used to use Xubuntu (after years using Xfce on pure Debian) but a year ago I switched to Cinnamon on Ubuntu, and liked it so much that I moved to Mint entirely. I might give Xubuntu another shot with 16.04 but it's going to have to change a lot to win me back. Mint 17.3 feels so incredibly polished and just as snappy as Xubuntu.
>>
I want a DE that uses alt tab as it's "bottom bar" and has all programs + background programs + system time there
>>
File: 12745719.jpg (39 KB, 720x485) Image search: [Google]
12745719.jpg
39 KB, 720x485
>>53674094
Congrats Ubuntu.

Just installed grsecurity-kernel in my Arch here. I'll wait for KDE Neon to come out
>>
>>53675107
I couldn't go to Mint because of 14.04, but I'll admit Cinnamon is pretty cool.

Shame it's not really that stable when adding applets and desklets and whatnot.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.