[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Software Consultant / Employer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1449036386098.jpg (214 KB, 1900x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449036386098.jpg
214 KB, 1900x1080
Dear /g/

I am about to start a new job at a company where I will be a programmer. They sent me a employment contract to review which contains a lot of information about non-competence clauses and so on.

There's a specific part of the contract that stood out to me that states that while I am employed by the company I am not allowed to engage in any contractual work for business relationships with other companies... is this common? The reason I'm asking is because I do on occasion do contracted work for companies that typically lasts no longer than a week... but according to this contract which I will need to sign, I wouldn't be able to right?
>>
>>53654254
Yes, this is very common. Typically, the better the company the more bullshit you need to go through.
>>
I have refused to sign multiple contracts like this in my career OP. Most likely outcome if they really want you is that they will work with your needs. I have changed the policy of large organizations by simply refusing to sign their standard contract. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. You will make the world a better place for it.
>>
>>53654254
How much will you be paid?
>>
>>53654311
>>53654297
Thank you for your replies.

The company seems awesome (I'm actually leaving a decent paying job to go to them) but I really would like the ability to be able to continue doing consultant work.

The reason I'm asking how common this is, is because I personally know 2 other developers that work for other companies where they signed similar agreements but they still do contracted work on the side.
>>
>>53654346
OP here, $100k which is a $15k pay bump from what I'm currently making. The money is good, I honestly don't have a good reason to do any contracted work other than I know it's out there for me and I've been successful at doing both (day job and contracted work) as I'm a workaholic.
>>
3rd responder here. My advice is still get them to change the contract to work with you OP. This will tell you something about how much they want you. Then, you know if you do a good job for a period of time, you can get a pay upgrade. Seriously, don't just sign something you don't feel comfortable with. If they are really looking for someone that can't have outside-facing opportunities, then they need to discuss this face-to-face with you, so you can get it resolved in your mind. Some jobs are worth signing away your rights to other jobs. Just depends on if this is your "dream job" or not. Hope I'm helping more than confusing. Good luck.
>>
>>53654311
Everything else in the contract I have no problem signing but I really just want to maintain the freedom to do contractual work. I've never agreed to not sign on-boarding contracts, is it awkward at all? The company really wants me and I would like to be honest...
>>
>>53654254
what anime?
>>
>>53654457
OP here, thank you for your reply. I know they want me extremely bad (in fact, I personally met with the CEO) and they do have a copy of my resume which clearly shows that I have done consultant work in the past.

I am leaning towards just being completely honest with them and letting them know that I do consultant work on the side from time to time. I've developed a lot of relationships with smaller companies (most are 5-10 employees) and even do volunteer work as a developer where I'm normally not paid. I just want to keep my options open and hopefully if I explain to them that it has never been a problem at any of the companies I've worked for in the past and that it's temporary work that I only perform on the weekends on what would normally be my personal time... they will be okay with it.

Any additional tips you can give me?

Thanks again
>>
>>53654478
Not sure
>>
File: 1454128710621.jpg (260 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1454128710621.jpg
260 KB, 900x675
>>
>>53654704
In my experience so far, that sounds like a good plan OP. I think they will be impressed that you don't just sign without questions. This will send a good signal, not a bad one. If they really want you, then the choice is ultimately yours. It will not hurt you one bit to try to get them to bend your way on the contract. Again, good luck.
>>
>>53654744
Arpeggio of Blue Steel

More specifically episode 4.
>>
>>53654789
Thank you for the insight, it's much appreciated.
>>
File: 1449036702925.jpg (153 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1449036702925.jpg
153 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: CX75JbxUsAAb7Wj.jpg (69 KB, 599x607) Image search: [Google]
CX75JbxUsAAb7Wj.jpg
69 KB, 599x607
>>
>>53654704
You should worry more about intellectual property clauses, like those that say that anything you do on your free time belongs to the company or some bullshit like that. Regardless of whether you think that it wouldn't hold in court or something, it's better to save yourself the headaches and get that out of the contract if it were in it. Good luck in your new job!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.