[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be 22yr old fat kv NEET >always had an interest in programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1427427831800.png (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1427427831800.png
27 KB, 400x400
>be 22yr old fat kv NEET
>always had an interest in programming and tech in general
>learn C, socket programming, programming microcontrollers by watching YouTube videos or reading up PDFs
>family tells me I should join an ethical hacking course and get a job on the basis of that
>not a bad idea.jpg
>join course
>it's all about a tiny bit of theory and using tools like metasploit, and nmap
>not one line of programming
>I was expecting to learn raw socket programming and analyzing source code to find vulnerabilities

What is this tomfoolery
>>
File: augmentations-active.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
augmentations-active.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>53641243
read this OP http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

pic related
>>
Most "hacking" is just poor configuration - you don't need to look through source code or write a special exploit, just spot a well-known vulnerability and you're at home.
>>
>>53641243
>white hat hacking (aka cracking)
>analysing source code (aka software cracking)
You dun goof'd.
>>
>>53641275
That's exactly where I learned socket programming, great book
>>
>>53641243
If you don't put much into it, most schools are expensive daycares that give you a piece of paper for employers. Take advantage of the resources your school offers. Pick your professors brains at least.
>>
>he fell for the school meme
>not making your own way as a hacker vigilante
>>
>>53641282
>you don't need to look through source code or write a special exploit, just spot a well-known vulnerability
how do you spot a vulnerability without the source code

I always thought most hackers decompiled a program in order to learn how it works, then create a patch to bypass whatever it is they want.

Honestly I'd love to learn how to create my own clean software patches.
>>
>>53641282
This. However being able to find exploits in software pays a hell of a lot more (and it's actually legal to do).

I'm pretty sure there are resources that will teach you the most common programming mistakes to find (buffer overflows etc), but beyond that, it's pretty challenging.
Detecting obscure and minor errors in source code or machine code is not a very standardized procedure AFAIK.
>>
You're learning the basics of finding exploits.
How to buffer overflow/underflow, replay packets, etc.
Once you're familiar with that stage, then you should study why the exploit works by looking at the source code.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.