[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android or iOS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
http://strawpoll.me/7159627

I'm thinking about trying iOS. So far the phones I've had are Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G3, and Nexus 6.

I'm deciding between three phones for my next phone:
1. Samsung Galaxy S7/E
2. iPhone 6S/Plus
3. Nexus 6P

Leaning towards Galaxy S7 cause of camera, battery, performance, looks. Cons are touchwiz, slow AF OS updates.

iPhone 6S leaning towards because performance, camera, battery, try out iOS, grass is greener. Cons are not very customizable, don't like the design as much as material design.

Nexus 6P leaning towards because performance, camera, pure Android, quick updates. Cons are not as good battery life.

I want your guy's opinion cause you guys aren't super retarded. Sure some are, but majority I respect other programmers opinions and would like to see why some programmers think Android is better, or iOS is better.
>>
Get an android with a removable battery. Buy an extra battery and charger. You'll be good to go.

How did you feel about the G3? My battery life is awful and the stock apps don't work well together imo. Great phone otherwise.
>>
>>53637035
i would get a nexus, because they are great phones if your a guy like me who likes to customize stuff, i got a nexus 5 and loved it to death until the screen broke. if you can root the s7 i might get that but if you just want a simple streamline experince go for the iphone.
>>
>>53637035
Have you considered the G4?
>>
>>53637035
>af
Just pick the iPhone you fucking faggot
>>
File: Screenshot_20160316-141100.png (143 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160316-141100.png
143 KB, 1440x2560
S7e here. I love this phone. Much thinner than its 5.5 inch display let's on. Battery for billion years, pic related.
Honestly i upgraded from an S6 and this thing is basically perfect.
Still, no usb c. :( only complaint.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160316-141106.png (85 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160316-141106.png
85 KB, 1440x2560
>>53637120
Aaaand SoT
>>
>>53637120
Man that's impressive, even with the huge display. Do you use twilight?
>>
File: image.png (394 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
394 KB, 750x1334
>>53637035
Got the 6s myself, any questions?
>>
File: 1458496119300.jpg (9 KB, 262x263) Image search: [Google]
1458496119300.jpg
9 KB, 262x263
>>53637035
>iPhone 6S leaning towards because performance, camera, battery, try out iOS, grass is greener. Cons are not very customizable, don't like the design as much as material design.
>considering apple in 2016

you need to rethink your life nigga.
>>
Dunno how much it's worth, but here's the perspective of someone who has been part of Camp iOS since the 3GS came out and recently bought a first-party Android device (Pixel C).

Android leaves me with this feeling of "just ok". Nothing offends me about it, but nothing amazes me about it either.

Things generally work, but hunting down good apps is a bit of a pain compared to finding good iOS apps - while all app stores these days are teeming with shit, the Play store undoubtedly has a far worse ratio of shit:decent, or at very least Google sucks at making the good stuff visible. Every time I install an app I find myself googling around to make sure I'm not downloading data-slurping hole-exploiting shitware, something I rarely have to do on iOS. F-Droid is cool in concept and has a few pearls, but is way too limited in offerings.

(continued in later post)
>>
>>53637185
>it's 2016, people!
>>
>>53637158
Nope. I do go through and make sure all the apps i don't really use are in always power save but otherwise i don't do much beyond normal setup.
Google launcher, Google keyboard, disable a bunch of bloat apps, up and running. Maybe takes 8 minutes and then it's a matter of going "ah right i need to do a thing, download the app!"
>>
>>53637198 (cont)
Interestingly there's a far greater air of professionalism around iOS apps and their app store listings compared to their Android counterparts. I find myself shocked with the amount of bad english I'm seeing in Android apps.

One thing I was excited for was the prospect of being able to use my Pixel C's USB 3 port for ultra-fast file transfers without the likes of something like iTunes. These hopes were shot down when I found out that Google had ousted USB Mass Storage support entirely in favor of MTP, which has shaky support outside of Windows and isn't as fast as UMS. Worse, every time I plug the device into my computer the stupid thing assumes I want to charge, forcing me to manually enable file transfer mode. This design choice baffles me.

Chrome and Firefox on Android seem decent if not quite as fluid as Safari. Chrome's lack of extension support is disappointing, particularly since Safari having native content blocker support.

(continuing)
>>
>>53637285
>Worse, every time I plug the device into my computer the stupid thing assumes I want to charge, forcing me to manually enable file transfer mode. This design choice baffles me.

This was a really fucking weird choice when they went from 5 to 6; Lollipop just assumed you wanted to transfer files. I don't know why they changed it.
>>
Nexus is the only reasonable option of the three.
>>
>>53637285
As far as hardware goes, the C isn't disappointing at all. Solid build, great screen, powerful CPU and graphics, plenty of RAM. The antiglare and oleophobic coatings on the screen could be better but that's nitpicking. Battery life is better than an iPad Air 2 if I'm just reading books or manga, but strangely drops more quickly than said iPad if I'm actively surfing. I'm assuming this has something to do with the content blocker I have installed on the iPad and its absence on the Pixel C.

Android's lack of a standardized AirDrop equivalent annoys me. I know LG and Samsung have their things, but this really feels like it's something that should be part of the base OS.

And I could be crazy, but I couldn't get the Android Netflix app to stream 1080p at all. Is there some trick that I'm missing here?

(last post next)
>>
>>53637185
>>considering apple in 2016
>you need to rethink your life nigga.

Why

>>53637161
Ever had Android? How does the 6s compare? If not, how do you like it?

>>53637349
Why
>>
>>53637394
>Why
because it's apple. enough said.

lurk more and learn
>>
>>53637385 (cont)
All in all I'm a bit underwhelmed. It seems like Android hardware is not just meeting the mark but is in fact exceeding it significantly, but Android does a mediocre job of utilizing it. Developers on the platform seem largely uninspired.

If I were to make this purchase choice again I'd probably go with an iPad instead. I won't return the C - I'll keep it around because I'm curious about what Android N final will bring, as well as Google's plans for Android based Pixel device - but if I get a chance to install some other OS on my Pixel C (say, Sailfish OS or even plain old Linux), I'll probably do so. Android just does not impress me at all.

That's not to say iOS doesn't have its own warts... it sure as hell does, but to me they're not as ugly.

I would say give the 6S a try for two or three months. If you don't like it, you'll be able to flip it 95% of the purchase price and you can pick up an S7 or whatever Android device you find comfy instead.
>>
>>53637449
>because it's apple. enough said.

D-don't ask me to explain my r-reasoning, silly boys!

DIE CUNT!
>>
>>53637161
can you turn off 3d touch?
>>
>>53637449
I've been here seven years. There is no need to lurk more, and most of the time people say that, they're the ones that should probably lurk more. If you don't have the answer or know why, just say so. Then lurk more.
>>
The only reason Android is better than iOS is because you can take the battery out of several Android phones, which decreases government surveillance and tracking. no iPhone can do that at all.
>>
>>53637556
But yeah other than that feature, they're both fine, iOS has better direct security though. But the battery feature is imperative.
>>
>>53637467
Yea, settings >general >accessibility

I dorm see why you would know though, I thought u was buying into the gimmick but I wanted that A9 chip. I've been spoiled and can no longer use a phone without a pressure sensitive display.

>>53637394
The phone is fucking amazing, never had android.
>body
I'd like more weight to it but not complaining, 138 grams is good too. Really nice to hold,and it doesn't bend over easily if your worried about that, and he been using it without a case since December, no scratches or scuffs, it's durable.

>screen
I'm not an autist over resolution, but I can tell you that pixels are unnoticeable, it's clear, and based. 3D Touch is God tier.

>battery
All day usage (safari, music, calls/text, games and a few quick videos) leaves me with 50% at around 3pm (from 6am),

I don't have any benchmarks for you but theyre readily available. if you don't need a new phone and can wait till September, wait for the 7, but if you need a new one and going with Apple, get the 6s.
>>
>>53637588
there is no benifit for me using force touch
maybe to set music to open to "my music" every time instead of all the other useless things
>>
>>53637556
Well I like encryption and privacy. But I don't plan on going on the run from the govt. Any time soon.
>>
>>53637656
That's what I thought anon.
>press side of screen to go back to last app
>press harder to open app switcher
>press links to open mini safari
>press messages and can read them without the "Read at X:XX"
>open app features quicker
>press keyboard and slide to move insert point around
It's pretty based. You'll love the convenience it gives
>>
>>53637773
>press side of screen to go back to last app
might be useful if i actually used my phone
>press harder to open app switcher
again useless to me
>press links to open mini safari
not sure how this is remotely useful
>press messages and can read them without the "Read at X:XX"
again how is that useful?
>open app features quicker
for me that's only useful for music because apple is stupid and prioritizes "for you" over your actual music
>press keyboard and slide to move insert point around
that seems way more difficult than it needs to be
just let me tap the center of the word and put it in the center and that feature would have literally no use
the only reason i'm buying a 6s+ is because I want lte band 12 and better standby battery because my phone is only useful for tethering and music
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-23-02-40-47.png (304 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-23-02-40-47.png
304 KB, 1080x1920
according to WIRED Nexus 6P cuz it just werks
>>
>>53637889
Eh suit yourself, at least give the features a try. It's not like it's easy to invoke, there's different pressure triggers
>>
Thoughts on the G5?
>>
>>53637975
I have on my friends 6s+
none of them seemed useful to me
>>
>>53637035
iOS is unusable.
Android would be 10/10 if it just had iMessage
>>
>>53637992
Why is it unusable
>>
I guess I can ask here in hopes someone that's into Apple stuff knows

Has the icloud lock been bypass already or is that not happening anytime soon? I saw that 9.1 finally got jailbreak
>>
>>53637995
Because they hate Apple.
iOS is so much less laggy than Android that it makes me regret avoiding them for so long.
>>
>touchwizz
>>
>>53638078
>iOS is so much less laggy than Android
I rarely use my iphone and these fuckers lag on me more than my android devices have
plus up until the 6s they only had 1 gig of ram so apps constantly had to be reloaded (making it lag even more)
>>
>>53638078
>le lagdroid xdxd
You haven't ever used android, just fuck off to your echo chambers
>>
>>53638078
I'm not against ios but android is not laggy anymore unless you use touchwizz or something. And even that has gotten a lot better .

I think ios is visually more pleasing though.
>>
>Samsung Galaxy S7

Enjoy having no updates when S8 comes out. Which is now less in a year until it's obsolete.

>iPhone 6S/Plus/SE

You'll have updates until five years from now. Stable as fuck.

>Nexus 6P

It'll lose its support in two years. Like the Nexus 4 for example. Even now, the Nexus 5 is not having support for Android N(igger).
>>
>>53637300
Security
>>
>>53637035

iOS.
>>
File: image.png (271 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
271 KB, 1242x2208
It's a shame that Android can't catch up with iOS battery life.
>>
>>53638274
You haven't used iOS either so that makes us even.
>>
File: .png (55 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
.png
55 KB, 720x1280
>>53638274
>You haven't ever used android
I have.
>>
>>53637394

Samsung locks down their bootloaders, are a pain in the ass to root. They also come pre-installed with a shitload of useless bloatware.

Apple locks down fucking everything and doesn't even allow the execution of unsigned applications. Despite this, the OS is chock full of vulnerabilities, so all it serves is to hinder the user, not to protect them.

Nexus is at the very least not complete trash.
>>
>>53638067
Anyone? I'm trying to find some use out of a iPhone 5 I got niggered with buying without knowing about icloud locks
>>
ITT: literally paid Apple shills

We all knows iOS is fucking trash, go back to me plebbit you fags
>>
>>53638700
wow, so so mad
>>
>>53638700
Lel
>>
>>53638700
Go back to /r/Android Bernie cuck.
>>
>>53638547
I have an emulator, flux, and an Ap to pirate movies on my phone. Those seem pretty unsigned to me
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.