[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be me >Be winfag since 80's >Buy used macbook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: Leopard_Desktop.png (333 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Leopard_Desktop.png
333 KB, 800x500
>Be me
>Be winfag since 80's
>Buy used macbook from craigslist because why not.

What is it about OSX that makes it feel nice? Everything just feels comfy and right.

Welp /g/
>>
the dick in your asshole is what makes it feel nice for you
>>
>>53629827
One thing is the UI. It's very consistent - you don't have each application using distinct visual styles like in Windows.

Also Aqua (the UI) is far more attractive than the ridiculous flat look of Windows 10.
>>
It's because it is. It's designed to be comfortable.
>>
>>53629857
Yeah, most of the applications (unless they're really fucking old) look the same so it feels like everything fits nicely.

Font rendering is also better.

Windows went the flat route and set everything on white. It's terrible. At least with 7 and 8.1 you could do some changes there but now you're forced to look at the fuckugly visual style that Windows 10 uses by default.
>>
>>53629827
placebo
>>
>>53629894
I actually prefer Windows font-rendering. Windows forces fonts into a grid, which looks sharper but distorts them slightly. Whereas Apple respects the intended shape even if slightly blurry at sub-pixel level. Matters less with high DPI screen.
>>
>>53629827
Same here. A real terminal, better search, better settings panel, better UI. It works right, is predictable, and feels like a much more classic desktop OS than everything what came after Windows 7.
I sometimes miss 7 but I don't want to use an dead OS with backported botnet instead of updates.
>>
>>53629925
placebo's are proven to me one of the most effective forms of treatment in medicine.
>>
>>53629827
marketing
>>
>>53629827
>Be winfag since 80's
Who's gonna believe that?
>>
>>53629827
It's the 16:10 screen ratio. Very close to the golden ratio and feels much more comfortable to look at.
>>
>be me in 2012
>want to buy something new
>ultrabook it is
>want to get an Asus but read about them using two different SSDs in same models
>don't want to get cucked by slow SSD and grab MBA
>feel dirty
>disgusting illuminated logo in the back
>shit looks gay as fuck
>works weird compared to Windows
>fast forward two weeks
>can't stand Windows anymore
>laugh about people who buy all this shit laptops with 16:9 screens and useless trackpads
>fast forward to 2016
>going to buy SE and probably 5k iMac
>can't imagine ever buying something running Windows or Android anymore
>>
>>53631119
I used to dislike a lot of shit done by apple for years and years.

Last year I tried some rMBP at some place. I kinda touched it like it was icky, but then tried the trackpad and I was fucking pleased. It felt kinda wrong. I tried to find the same on different expensive laptops and I couldn't.

Recently with my newer PC I thought of installing hackintosh, so I did. And at first I was jumping through some serious hoops, but once I got everything working I couldn't go back to Windows. Too many nice little things I can't have there.

I would consider buying a magic trackpad at this point but it's a bit expensive for gestures.
>>
File: 1456717633208.jpg (55 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1456717633208.jpg
55 KB, 453x604
>>53629827
>Be me
>Be winfag since 80's
>Get used macbook from craigslist in exchange for my anus because why not.

What is it about anal that makes it feel nice? Everything just feels comfy and tight.

Welp /g/
>>
>>53629930
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>53629827
>used windows since birth (23 years ago (I'm 23 years old))
>have to use mac for web development at work
>converted
It's pretty solid as far as unix-based systems go
>>
>>53631299
Yeah, similar here. Considered installing hackintosh too but doubt it's worth the effort to make it run on AMD and with my wifi usb that barely worked with Windows.
>>
File: 1456876381660.jpg (39 KB, 475x633) Image search: [Google]
1456876381660.jpg
39 KB, 475x633
>>53629827
>Be me
>Be straight since 80's
>Buy used macbook from craigslist because why not.

What is it about homosexuality that makes it feel nice? Everything just feels comfy and right.

Welp personalblo/g/
>>
>>53633011
Fonts
>>
>>53629827
>comfy
kill yourself
>>
>>53633247
Yeah don't bother if you use AMD. It really sucks there.

I'm using it on a haswell processor and this shit is fairly nice. I don't think I can see the difference between this and the real deal, other than maybe having to go through a specific setup.

Another thing is that when I got into hackintosh a while ago, it was all "shit, this doesn't work, I guess I'll go back to Windows" and suddenly there's a solution. This has happened several times. The system actively wants me to stay.
>>
>>53629827
>Everything just feels comfy and right.

You are homosexual.
>>
>>53633524
What things went wrong? Thinking of getting a hackintosh but I don't want to have to deal with a ton of bugs and shit.

Basically, is it as stable as an actual apple Mac?
>>
>>53629827
>comfy
it's the UI consistency and most importantly the font rendering. They got it right ten years ago and it's just gotten better since. In the last ten years all m$ has done is add antialiasing and that's just about it. reading on OSX is just so much better than on windoesn't.
>>
>>53629827
>be me
>be winfag and linuxfag
>get macbook from work
>it's shit

The dock is shit, finder is shit, window management is shit, the filesystem is shit, the program selection is shit. It's like the dictionary definition of a toy OS.

Yet macfags can't shut up about it. What makes macfags so obnoxious compared to other groups of people?
>>
>>53633744
Well, most of them are not wrong. It's more like "I want X, but I had to go look on the internet for it".

Actual problems:
AMD GPUs, newer ones seem to have a little bit of trouble with sleep. I use a 280x, so I'm affected by that, even though it works ootb. If the computer goes to sleep, there's no waking it up, gotta restart.

LAN sometimes goes into self-assigned IP address which is weird, but this is totally random and has happened twice.

And last, I had to be careful with what to install from the Multibeast tool. Installing extra shit like fixes for USB 3.0 and such will probably break things so it's important that you check what works already so you don't "fix it". Sound would work alone by installing the specific drivers for my sound card, but if I wanted to retask jacks I had to download VoodooHDA and install that rather than use the versions included there.

Everything else is a matter of preference. Want to remove all mouse accel? smoothmouse. Want smooth scrolling everywhere? smoothscroll. Want a music player that has a folder view? Cog. Want custom keyboard bindings because the default layout for your language sucks dick? Karabiner. Things like that.
>>
>>53633795
That you're autistic enough that you can't adapt like a normal person
>>
Similar boat here, used windows and ubuntu throughout college and work then bought a mac book pro and I could never go back.
>>
>>53633889
No, you don't get it. Dock is terrible for managing multiple windows, finder is pants on head retarded (f.ex allows drag n drop, doesn't allow cutting, lacks almost all basic functionality), HFS is probably the most unstable widely used file system, and the window manager is worsr than even on Windows.
>>
>>53633874
Thanks for the in depth reply. I think I'll commit to installing it :)
>>
>>53634046
No worries

Keep in mind, after I went through this the system runs smooth as it can, no crashes or anything remotely like that, which is why I'm saying I don't think it'll be too different.
>>
>>53633524
>>53633874
>>53634105
Aww, now I am regretting saving couple bucks and getting FX 6300 instead of i5. Hackingtosh sounds damn nice.

How is the updating? Can you just install the newest OSX version like on Mac?
>>
>>53634414
Well, as long as you get the right hardware, hackintosh is really easy with tools like unibeast, multibeast and guides from tonymac. Sometimes it's not that easy but if you don't mind searching, there are solutions for nearly any pieces of hardware. Even for amd cpus.
I've got two really cheap hackintoshes running for quite a long time and it cured my OS/distribution hopping.
>>
Any tendencies I had towards Macfaggotry sort of started evaporating after OS 10.6. I'm still using Snow Leopard on a 2007 iMac and shit is absolutely flawless, especially compared to Yosemite and El Capitan. It's also nice when, you know, a desktop knows it's a desktop and doesn't try being something else.

Steve Jobs may have been a jerk but you can't really fault a lot of the products that came out under his watch.

>>53630898
Trolling aside, I wonder if there actually is something to this. I prefer using my W500 over my much newer Inspiron 7559, and no, the 7-row keyboard and trackpoint have very little to do with it, because I just have externals plugged into both. Might just be dat vertical screen real estate.
>>
>>53633795
>What makes macfags so obnoxious compared to other groups of people?
Other people like you?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.