[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think is the future? Java or C#? P.S I still C a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: XDDD.png (49 KB, 600x332) Image search: [Google]
XDDD.png
49 KB, 600x332
What do you think is the future? Java or C#?

P.S I still C a viable language?
>>
>>53629776
>What do you think is the future? Sledgehammer #1 or Sledgehammer #2?
>P.S Are regular hammers still viable?
>>
>>53629808
/thread
>>
>>53629808
JACK HAMMERS FOR EVERYTHING
>>
>>53629776
I got a Lumia 630.
It's working well and it's still fast after some years even though I only have 512mb of ram.
I saw some recent Android mounting 4gb of ram.
If you have to mount 4gb of ram on a smartphone running java code to work, then there's something wrong with java.
Microsoft is the way to go
>>
.net is proprietary shit
java is slow shit

just use X86_64 ASM
>>
I've programmed on both, Java more for my job, but still. I love c#, and if I could have c# on the JVM so I won't have to bundle the CLR or mono with everything I'd do it.
>>
oh look, "java is slow" meme again.
>>
>>53630299
.NET is open source software under the MIT license you idiot.
>>
>>53629776
C was never viable, even at its inception. It was the java before java was a thing.
Java is dying out everywhere, it has no future. C# is shit, but F#/F* have futures up to a point. We all know OCaml is the way to go, though.
>>
>>53630488
Only some of it, and only some versions of it.
>>
>>53629776
Java has WORA
C# has it too but they're late to the party... and the only implementation not on windows just started being viable two years ago

C is very viable, but most recommend C++ because OOP is great, A good mix between C# and C. OOP, but not managed... only issue with C\C++ is cruft code and examples and compilers not updating to support C++11

>inb4 it's $CURRENT_YEAR;
>>
>>53630299
X86_64 requires non free hardware and that triggers me.
>>
>>53630648
ARM is better, SIMD, Conditional Execution, low power, free, why not
>>
>>53630699
>arm is better
>thing that x86 has had for many decades
>free
>why not
>>
File: Cj-wqR55.png (203 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Cj-wqR55.png
203 KB, 512x512
rust

but in the sector where java/.net reside, nodejs is currently eating all their new blood, thanks to the learning curve and npm

@arm/x86_64 fanboys: the future is the glorious POWER 8/9 architecture

read my new book: how to piss of every low paid enterprise dev that sucks microsoft/oracle/intel dick, 2016 edition
>>
>>53630524
>language implemented in C is way to go
>C was never viable

Pick one.
>>
>>53630524
> le FP
> OCaml better than Haskell

So many things wrong with this post.
>>
>>53631124
>he doesn't know that every modern relevant language is self-hosting
LMAO ctard
>>
>>53631149
>haskell
>even remotely usable
>FP
>not the best paradigm by a wide margin
Everything is wrong with this post.
>>
Java is the future of Pajeet and the poo2loo gang.
C# is the future of the proud white middle class programmer who can tell the difference between shitty and excellent tools.
>>
>>53631162
>>53631176

> too stupid to write Haskell

Haskell is gorgeous wonderful heavenly language written by angels as a blessing to those mortals courageous enough to write in it.

FP is the best paradigm, but not appropriate for microcontroller programming, for which C is the only remotely portable choice. Try writing a motor controller in OCaml.
>>
>>53631244
OK rajesh.
>>
>>53629776
MSIL.
>>
Java is used by more public high schools and universities than any other language for teaching computer science.
>>
>>53631405
Was. Now it's python or javascript.
>>
>>53631644
>javascript
>teaching computer science
>>
>>53633693
>programming
>computer science
Choose one
>>
File: 1391190270897.gif (2 MB, 536x302) Image search: [Google]
1391190270897.gif
2 MB, 536x302
Delegates, lambdas and extensions methods are pure love.

Also the amount of sugar that's been added to C# along the years is amazing for writing clean code.
>>
Java won't die, despite Oracle's best efforts. C# will never be a first-class citizen on Linux, despite Microsoft's best efforts.

Java will continue to dominate the enterprise/LoB space for the foreseeable future, slowly becoming our generation's COBOL. Other JVM languages will probably keep the runtime alive, although I could easily Oracle abandoning development and OpenJDK taking over. That said, Java won't die, even if Oracle completely abandon it.

.NET's future depends on when Microsoft get bored of it. C# (and F# and all the rest) won't live or die based on their technical merits; it's a question of either people trusting Microsoft to actually stick with the platform or Mono becoming an actually viable replacement.
>>
>>53630590
>>Java has WORA
No it fucking doesn't. There isn't a single instance of a complex application ever having the honor of this distinction to the point it's actually just become Write Once Test Everywhere. Just google the phrase, it's a bunch of people shitting on Java for absolutely not delivering on that end.
>>
>>53634050
What actually breaks WORA for Java? I work in a team who mostly develop on Windows, some on Mac, and test on Linux.

The only things I can think of that break are:
People assuming '/' is always the path separator
People assuming the filesystem is case sensitive
People assuming the filesystem isn't case sensitive
Sparse file support on Windows

None of which are too difficult if you actually think about them when developing. What am I missing?
>>
>>53630524
>C was never viable
Care to tell us all why?. Just curious.
>>
>>53633769
Are you trying to say programming can't be/isn't a tool for teaching computer science?
>>
>>53634478
When it was first introduced, it was extremely slow compared to its contemporaries (fortran, forth, even lisp at the time due to lisp machines - note that C also required special hardware to run right, just like lisp at the time). However, it was also a fuckload less poweful (unmanaged macros, no memory management, everything done by hand (really just a high-level assembly language) with very basic constructs only), a fuckload more unsafe (no bounds checking, compile-time or otherwise, garbage error discipline and recovery, etc.), and the backing of a large company, which is the only thing that made it succeed at all. Again, it literally didn't fit a single niche at the time and it took over 20 years for the first decent C compiler to appear. Even today, when done right, many high-level languages (ATS, forth, clean) are faster than C even in the theoretical infinite-time case (i.e. when a professional can optimize a small C program as long as they want - as opposed to real life). A fuckload of languages are faster than C today without infinite time.

>>53634597
Are you saying that telescopes can't be/aren't a tool for teaching astronomy?
>>
>>53634681
No, I'm not saying that.
>>
>>53634687
Glad to see you agree that programming can't be/isn't a tool for teaching computer science.
>>
Guys, guys, guys. Why are we fighting? Just open up your text editor and start coding glorious Ada code.
>>
>>53631162
You can't be THIS retarded.
>>
>>53635074
Found the inbred, guys!
>>
>>53629824
not everypne can handle assembly
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.