[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, your propaganda has finally gotten to me and I'm willing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1458148455632.png (8 KB, 417x336) Image search: [Google]
1458148455632.png
8 KB, 417x336
/g/, your propaganda has finally gotten to me and I'm willing to give desktop Linux another try. last time I did this was in 2008 with Ubuntu 8.04

what's a good distribution? I don't need just werks, but something that won't give me a shitty experience right out of the gate
>>
dumb frogposter
install gentoo
>>
please respond I have an afternoon to burn on this shit. don't have a lot of free time lately.
>>
Linux Mint cinnamon is a good starting point.
>>
>>53626321
Ubuntu MATE
>>
Lubuntu
Linux mint is trash
>>
>>>/flt/
>>
>>53626321
>>>/v/
>>
>Ubuntu/debian based distros
Will work and then break later because of retarded maintainers or shitty package managers. Gentoo rarely has such problems.
>Fedora distros
Won't have a lot of pacakges before you add rpmfusion but will work 100% as long as you follow the fucking instructions instead of trying to do it the unsupported ricer faggot way. Gentoo generally gives you more leeway, and won't break systemd on release upgrades because it's rolling.
>Arch based distros
Will break, somehow, eventually, especially if you use their special snowflake repos. The AUR and its many buggy helper scripts pales in comparison to portage. It's just plain shitty compared to even, like, pkgsrc. It sucks. Period. The maintainers just pull from redhat anyways so it's like fedora with a worse package manager.
>Crux,
Like arch with more AUR and less central repo. Made by and for ricer faggots. If this kind of distro seems like a good idea to you, just install gentoo instead.
>Void
Like crux but totally based on github. The majority of users are interested in "no systemd bloat", but use udev bloat, firefox bloat, vim bloat, emacs bloat, and so on. But it's cool, they installed BSD cat to make up for it! XD Just use gentoo faggot. It even has binhosts.
>Centralized ports tree distros like gentoo
Pain in the ass if you don't know what you're doing, but gives the user the perfect balance of control and convenience. Great for special-purpose servers and basically creating and maintaining your own personal gentoo based distro.
>Slackware
The fuck are you doing man? Just install an old release of gentoo.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.