[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've made a thread yesterday about upgrading CPU and GPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: sowka.jpg (51 KB, 492x600) Image search: [Google]
sowka.jpg
51 KB, 492x600
I've made a thread yesterday about upgrading CPU and GPU cheap. Can't find the sqt so I'll ask here.

For my AM2+/AM3 gigabyte mobo I have chosen to buy MSI GeForce GTX960 4GB.

As for the CPU, I am thinking about AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8ghz

Will it work?

Please keep in mind:
>must be relatively cheap
>I don't want to buy a new mobo and AM3 socket is the best I can do.
>I don't want the best setup possible, just smooth fps for casual gaming.
>would be cool if the CPU would not become the bottleneck for the GPU

Have a comfy owl since I have no other jpgs at my working pc.
>>
Wait, are you upgrading to a phenom II?

No no no my friend.
Get a new LGA 1155 mobo and a used i5-2400.
At least then you won't be retarded.

GPU is okay but you want to go AMD at that price bracket- get something like a 380
>>
>>53625473
Just get a PS4 to play your shitty weeaboo games on.
>>
Sorry OP, but are you serious?
Why the fuck would you buy such a shit CPU? Let alone, pair it with a modern GPU?
>>
>>53625517
Why not? As I said, I'd rather not change the mobo. Currently I have athlon II x4 345 (I think) and I would like to get the best CPU for my current mobo. Which means I need a CPU for AM2+ or AM3 socket.
>>
>>53625576
Technology now days changes to rapidly to hold on toy your mobo. This is not 1999.
>>
>>53625576
Don't hold onto the mobo. Seriously, either save up for a real upgrade or don't waste your money.
The 1155 mobo + used i5-2400 is VERY reasonable, price wise. Especially for what you'd be upgrading to.

You're still upgrading to an old socket but at least it's to a processor that's STILL GREAT.
The phenom X4 is shit nowadays.
>>
>>53625553
>>53625594
I should have mentioned that I'm a technological moron. I can put the parts together but I have no idea about the modern technologies. I just want to upgreade at the lowest cost. This month it's going to be GPU, power unit, and a budget CPU to get it working.

Next month it's going to be the mobo and/or SSD. Third world here and I can't afford to buy everything at once.
>>
>>53625473
>AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8ghz
Not a bad CPU but extremely outdated. You could get a cheaper i5 that not only outperforms, but will last a lot longer
>>
>>53625659
There's no point in partial upgrades for core components since a long time. If you want to upgrade the cpu, you get a new cpu, motherboard and ram.
If you want to upgrade a single component to get serious gains, get a new gpu, or get an SSD, if you don't have one.
>>
>>53625659
Ps I can get used CPU for my socket for around 50$ or less.
>>
>>53625707
So, what motherboard would you recommend for this i5?
>>
>>53625756
Any Z68 one, e.g. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/
>>
>>53625805
A mobo like this + used i5 would cost me total 4 times more than phenom. Is it really this bad? If I have to change the mobo, I would rather wait one more month and buy a serious one. I just want to know if it will work and not bottleneck the GPU [spoiler]too much :^) [/spoiler]
>>
>>53625853
Then get an used mobo like this, or get another mobo with z68, or p67. Or get a job.
>>
>>53626021
I do have a job, and it pays well for local standards. Still my new GPU costs me half my salary xD third world sucks.
>>
But can anyone please explain like to a complete moron, how does the CPU relate to the GPU and how does this relation translate to fps?

Honestly, I have no idea about tech matters other than pluging cables.
>>
File: CPU.png (55 KB, 780x687) Image search: [Google]
CPU.png
55 KB, 780x687
Doesn't seem like it's much better than what I have already. Ehh I might have to consider that i5 option.
>>
>>53625576
see if you can get a phenom II 955/965/975/985/ 1035T/1045T/1055T/1075T/1090T/1100T

any of these should be sub 100$ if not lower, i would not get a phenom II outside of these.

NOW, your gpu will get you by for a few more months, you can wait out for the next gen gpus which will bottleneck whatever gpu you get for FAR less money.

>>53625594
technology is so fucking slow these days that you can get a 6+ year old cpu and be good, you may not hit the highest benchmark scores, but you are good, so long as its a quadcore.

>>53625659
don't bother with the gpu, get a new ssd first, if you are on a hdd it WILL be the most significant upgrade you will make.

as for the cpu, i would honestly have a hard time justifying a upgrade unless its to a 1000 series phenom II
>>53625756
>>53625805
COULD NOT RECOMMEND AGAINST A PLATFORM CHANGE AT THIS TIME MORE

zen is set to likely paper launch in October, possibly volume this year.

IF its good, and IF amd decides to make a new standard in cpus for the mainstream, we are going to see intel price adjust like a motherfucker.

getting a new i5 would be pissing money away unless you need it, and considering you are on an athlon II x4, you arent hurting that much. the most i could recommend is a used cup i listed above as a stop gap at the very least till the new big hitter arrives, and hell, if Vulcan takes off, 6 cores scales wonderfully.

>>53625853
an i5 is a MASSIVE UPGRADE, especially if a 2000+ series i5, its something like twice as powerful as what you would upgrade to, but probably not worth it overall, a 6 core phenom II with a good cooler can oc and push most games to 60fps.

>>53625623
they get the job done, not the best processor, but still able to run anything i throw at my 955 without oc. waiting on zen to hit to make a complete system upgrade, either it hits hard or it fizzles out, either way new system by next year.
>>
>>53626967
>CPUBoss
>ever

what are you doing here?
>>
>>53626149
That GPU would cost me 30% of mine, and I'm not bitching. Learn to save money and be patient.
>>
>>53626979
>technology is so fucking slow these days that you can get a 6+ year old cpu and be good, you may not hit the highest benchmark scores, but you are good, so long as its a quadcore.
True, but sockets and supported RAM types change year by year.

>AMD
>good
>>
>>53626967
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+635

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+960T

its not the best site, but it gives you a better idea.

this is the worst of the 6 cores

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X6+1035T

snf this is the one i see most often

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X6+1075T&id=392

any of the quad core cpus i would not get for over 80$ and any of the 6 core i would not pay more then 120$
>>
>>53627023
sockets sure, but is that relevant to performance in a meaningful way sense sandy bridge outside of forcing you to do a complete platform upgrade?

as for ram, we are just getting ddr4 on mainstream now, we had ddr3 for the better part of what, 6-8 years? and is ram really relevant? its so hard to find any benchmarks showing that ram, beyond having it, is relevant at all outside of apu or igpu.

as for amd being good, there are 2 points, either zen comes out and is good, and by all accounts its at least at sandy bridge and 8 cores 16 threads, or they have been lying and gearing up for the server market is a lie too...

price is what this will come down too, because even sandy bridge level i would pay the price of an i7 for if it had 8 cores.

and if you meant the options he has, they aren't bad, and for gaming will get you to 60fps, non gaming, will do damn near anything you toss at it dude is on an Athlon II so im betting money he isn't rendering out video or other extremely heavy cpu tasks that would require more then even a first run a dual core cpu, im assuming he is getting the upgrade for gaming, and athlon preforms worse than a phenom II there to an extent that isnt show able in those benchmarks,

back when my brother had an Athlon II 3.0ghz x4 (cant remember the number) crysis ran like hell on his system, and he had a order of magnitude better gpu then me, but my system ran it smooth,
>>
>>53626979
Sounds logical enough to follow.

But will I get ANY fps boost from just changing to SSD?

I would not hide that I care most for fps in games since I just want to have a smooth coasual gaming experience. Originally I would just change the GPU and don't bother with anything else but I've heard that CPU can restrain the GPU somehow. Being a tech moron I do not know if that's true and I'm getting tons of advices that are completely against each other.

So what would I have to purchase to
1. Increase fps
2. Fit the new mobo once I change it

From what you say I would not change the CPU for now. I'd rather change the GPU to , buy myself an SSD and a serious power supply, and save to buy a new mobo + i5 + new RAM During the next 2 months.
>>
>>53627194
no, you will not get a fps boost, however a ssd in a computer makes it feel night and day different.

its VERY hard to explain, but you should have a boot drive for a ssd, and a hdd as a storage drive, the operating system and anything you have open hammers the boot drive constantly, for me, and this is what made me move to ssd, was my hdd was hammered to the point its effective speed was under 700kbps while if its not being hammered for access, its around 120-130mbps

you will likely pick up fps with a cpu upgrade,
you likely wont pick up fps with a gpu upgrade, at least till you upgrade the cpu.

if you are only on a 60hrz monitor, a gpu upgrade is pointless, as what you have can push 60 with reduced settings and new gpus which will push 980ti performance down to 300-400$ range are around the corner,
>>
>>53627260
New cards in like a month right?
>>
>>53627260
If I buy a second hand mobo with i5 and combine it with new RAM (I've found a cheap offer for the mobo) will I be good?
>>
>>53627368
if its a 2000 series i5 and you are willing to pay for it, its not bad, if you get a deal on everything it would be a worthy upgrade, i cant tell you how good it will be long term, but the 2000's were better then the phenom, however the first i5 series i think was weaker then the phenom line with certain phenoms beating out the i7 till you went really high end.

>>53627364
you will have new flagship from nvidia, and low and mid from amd, with their flagship hitting around the time zen comes out.

its to be noted, that amds mid range is at least going to equal to a 980 and could make it to 980ti range. everything is a bit up in the air.

nvidia is going, if leaks are to be believed, 2X more powerful then the 980ti, the ti will be about 20% more then that, and the titan will be a further 20% over the ti.

the big shit from amd requires hbm2, so thats at the very least delayed till later this year, or it was never coming out earlier.

so its noted, amd has shown off 2 benchmarks with the Polaris 10 and 11, i believe 10 is the higher end one, and it was running hitman at max with a 60 fps lock, never dipping below. nvidia just has data sheets, something we dont have from amd yet, we just have a supposed die size to base guesses off of.
>>
>>53627513
That set is i5 2500

For about the same price I could get a new Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H mobo with FM2+ socket and AMD Athlon X4 860K and I would have to buy some new RAM as it uses DDR3 and my current uses DDR2.

Should I go for the first or the latter?
>>
>>53627623
if its the same price go for the i5 its FAR better then the phenom, i cant speak for the motherboard and am not looking it up to know if it is.

this should give you an idea how much better it is than when you have an what you could upgrade to in the phenom II line

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2500+%40+3.30GHz
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.