[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what was so awful about this thing again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: zune-hd-2.jpg (104 KB, 530x380) Image search: [Google]
zune-hd-2.jpg
104 KB, 530x380
what was so awful about this thing again?
>>
>>53618992
battery and roprietary software
>>
>>53618992
Kinda unremarkable. Fat. Though design is the smallest issue with it, wasn't this piece of shit overpriced?
>>
Looks to me like the OS seems to be the problem.
>>
I had one. The device was a great music player. The interface was simple.

However, the desktop software was a too much like iTunes for me to like it.
>>
Nothing, the device its self was perfect. however:

-Shitty marketing
-Really shitty branding
-Came wayyy too late after 'iPod' was already ubiquitous
>>
>>53619010
>Fat
It was .4mm thicker than the contemporary iPod.
>>
>>53618992
It wasn't, it was the best hardware Microsoft ever put out.
Too bad the software and the marketing was utter garbage.

I still have my ZuneHD, the only reason I don't use it anymore is my FiiO X1.
>>
>>53618992
Looks like another case of good hardware and shit software, common among Sony and Microsoft products
>>
>>53619010
>>53618992
so pic unrelated?
>>
>cant rockbox a Zune

Life is unfair when true greatness comes
>>
>>53618992
I have that exact Zune. I loved it, the only thing it was lacking was better software.
The hardware was fantastic.
>dat oled screen.
>>
>>53618992
Good product, poor marketing strategy and tactics.
>>
>>53619721
yes, that screen and frankly all of the hardware was fantastic. Used it alongside early android phones for a while as a result.
>>
>>53618992
ishills
>>
>>53618992
WindowsCE software, locked down
>>
>>53619005
>battery
Mine lasted forever
>>
I still rock my zune 120 errydays
>>
>>53618992
On paper it's a great device, but it didn't come with cupertino kool-aid and muh apps. And it was released when ipod sales plateaued and people started using their phones as their only portable music player. Microsoft's poor marketing and infighting at that time certainly did not help.
>>
>>53618992
Because it looks retarded, and was probably expensive at the time
the software was probably too complex for normies i guess
>>
I fucking love mine, I have two 32gb ones, one has some zune original laser etched art that looks sweet. only things i hate about the ZHD are the zune desktop software, and when you plug it into speakers via aux, its not very loud at all, i guess the soundcard is underpowered or something.
Original battery, one will play non-stop for 4-5 days, the other can do about three
>>
>>53620365
confirmed for never having touched one
it looks fucking sex, its STILL expensive, and the software was designed FOR normies, its fucking easy you twit.

the HD model even has that neat 3d shadowbox pov tilt thing going on that apple recently said was their idea
>>
>>53620365
it's thinner than most phones, fits nice in the hand.
it was a little overpriced due to the nice and fast flash storage onboard
the built in software was pretty easy to use and was the best implementation of the design language later called metro.
nice features like wifi, web browser, HD FM radio made for a nice overall package
>>
>>53620468
>it looks fucking sex
people never bought it because it looks retarded, you are wrong, the consumers are always right
>>
>>53618992
Absolutely nothing. The hardware is the best I have ever used. The software was on-point too, and I still use it to this day as no other media player even compares.

It only failed because the general public already had an autistically insatiable desire for Apple products at the time of its launch.
>>
Only sold in murrika
>>
>>53620640
wait it was US only? no wonder I never hear people talking about it online
>>
>>53620676
USA, and some models in canada. That's it.
>>
>>53618992
>marketplacє
>>
>>53618992
Still have my 30, 120, and HD.

30 audio port fucked up.
120 battery broke and leaked.
HD still going strong with 20+ hrs of battery life 6 and change years later despite using it every day.

They were always cheaper than their respective iPod counter parts.
>Not sharing pictures/music with people so they could upload it to their computer before their 3 listens a day was up
>Not being able to hold it in the palm of your hands when surfing on wifi
>Games and music together still gave you 6-8 hours of battery life depending
>Simple interface so anyone can use it
>Better touch response and quality than iPod at the time. Dropped and accidently tossed my ZHD multiple times and still going strong with minimal blemishes.
>>
Can't you jailbreak them and install WinCE software?
>>
>>53620816
>Not being able to squirt your bros.
>>
>>53620312
confirmed
>>
LIKE MANY PRODUCTS BEFORE, KILLED BY APPLE FANBOY MEDIA

BIASED REVIEWER SHILLS
>>
>>53620628
They still have an brain dead desire for Apple products.
>>
>>53618992
Pretty much an iPod touch but without apps.
>>
>>53618992
nothing. i still love my halo 3 edition zune
>>
>>53621122
If Halo 3 was a person it would be halfway through 3rd grade right now.
>>
>>53621144
thats neat
>>
>>53621180
Fuck you, you're neat.
>>
>>53618992
Outmarketed by things with more practical features
>>
>>53618992
It's redundant. I can load my phone with more media.
>>
>>53621277
i own a special edition halo 3 zune, i better be neat.
>>
I kinda miss smart mp3 players or whatever you want to call them.had an ipod touch, was pretty neat although carrying a phone and ipod was kinda pointless.
>>
>>53621305
not really.
That only began like 6 years ago when everybody could easily transfer their music to their cellphone (not that they couldn't before, it was easier with smartphones now).
>>
>>53620312
Yeah, mine was great. Confirmed you have never used one. Also, I still use the software, it's great, and far more intuitive than iTunes. Also let's you ad album art, date, artist, writer, genre, and notes about some and albums. Simple drag and drop too.
>>
File: oopsorry.jpg (93 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
oopsorry.jpg
93 KB, 1440x1080
>>53620312 meant to reply to
>>53619005
>>
It's pretty great as a pocket radio.
>>
The aluminum back on mine has two dents in it from taking a tumble. The hard drive makes awful clicking sounds when its seeking. The only thing really wrong with it is the battery lasts for shit. They were rugged little mp3 players.
>>
>>53619022
Well I suppose it (was) a good thing it was a uPnP drag-and-drop capable player then.

>>53618992
I still use my original Zune 32gb, it's pretty well permanently in my car so I don't have to fish out my phone. My only complaints are that it's heavy (has an actual hdd in it) and it uses a proprietary charge/sync cable (which has stood the tests of time and children).

I never used the Zune software. It was drag and drop and played pretty much every desktop music player's playlists natively.

It had incredibly broad file support. All versions of mp3, wav, ogg, wma, pretty much the only thing I tried to play on it that it choked on was flac. Even played flash video and mkv's natively.

Battery was good for ~16 hours of continuous playback as long as the screen stayed off, and SOT of around 7 hours of full brightness.

It's biggest selling point is it was $50 cheaper than that generation of iPod.
>>
it didn't do anything a $40 mp3 could do but was really expensive, easy to break, and crashed frequently
>>
>>53621599
It was significantly cheaper than the ipod. It was one of the most durable mp3 players with a screen. It did NOT crash.
>>
>>53621599

lol , okay

what $40 player at that tiem had video playback, apps, and a webbrowser?
>>
>>53621599
I dropped that shit like I had eels for fingers and it never broke.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.