[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powerline Wi-Fi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: TL-WPA4220KITUK_g_thumb800.jpg (31 KB, 800x781) Image search: [Google]
TL-WPA4220KITUK_g_thumb800.jpg
31 KB, 800x781
Anyone use powerline wi-fi kits?

Are there any better than 802.11n? I've heard yurop fags have some better kits (Tenda? or TP-Link?)

Trying at all costs to avoid running CAT cable through walls.
>>
I've tried it.
Works better than regular wireless.
>>
>>53616816
>Trying at all costs to avoid running CAT cable through walls.
But CAT is so much better.
>>
>>53616944
this
cat 5e for short range
cat 6e for longer range
cat 7 for long range plus 10gbit speeds
>>
Got powerline last week, no regrets yet
>>
I use powerline ethernet adapters myself. If you're going the powerline route why go wireless? The point for me was so I could use ethernet. Regardless they work like a charm. I've never had a problem.
>>
>>53616816
>>53617180
>>53617233
I have one and it used to drop connections a lot but now seems to work fine. I googled it and found out a lot of other people had dropped connection problems with TP Link ones. Wasnt my internet because it still worked on other devices.
>>
Don't expect gigabit performance out of them, but yes they work. By better than 802.11n do you mean bandwidth or latency? If you can get away with it(distance wise) you might just want to go with 802.11AC and use a 5Ghz channel or two. The band is wide open, almost no one is using 5Ghz and the speed is close to gigabit.
>>
>>53616816
>Powerline
>Wi-Fi
did they seriously take the two most awful technologies and combine them?
>>
Do you have coax running through the walls? If you do you could use Moca or HomePNA.
>>
>>53616816
It's insecure:
https://www.bentasker.co.uk/documentation/security/282-infiltrating-a-network-via-powerline-homeplugav-adapters
>>
I use them, works perfectly with ethernet. Literally the best networking device I've bought.
>>
>>53616816
Also, they're slower than advertised, look up the actual speeds if you end up buying.
>>
Works perfectly, just make sure to plug them directly into the wall socket, don't use a multi socket. Also shitty wiring in old houses might give you problems, if you live in an apartment, use password protection.
>>
>>53617668
And if they're on the same circuit as, say, a dryer or oven, you might run into some issues.
>>
>>53617233
Wireless to basically extend a wireless network.

E.g., for using laptop or iPad in a distant area of the house.

>>53617523
Mostly bandwidth. All the kits I see add 802.11n but I have heard (saw?) some that actually broadcast 802.11ac.
>>
>>53617886
Also debating getting a wired powerline and just plugging in another wireless router.
>>
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PLW1000.aspx
>>
use it. works great. there's a high chance you'll get better speeds with 802.11n/ac but things like connection stability and latency are way better with powerline. also you don't have to fight for bandwidth with your other wifi devices.
>>
>>53616816

Mine works alright, have the 500 version. In a two story house, router modem other side of house first floor. My desktop and TV 2nd floor opposite side. We get Comcast 150. I only get about 30 on a good day with the power line. What gives? Is it just the distance? Or maybe I should get a 1200 poweline.
>>
Use it at home, works as advertised
>>
Wait I didn't read OP's post
Mine is just ethernet over power, no wifi
>>
I have an older pair (HPAV1) of Trendnet adapters. They work alright.

I've read that the new HPAV2 adapters are much better though.
>>
>>53617551
>Wi-Fi
Nothing wrong with it, you really have to understand and plan out how to deploy it though.

>Powerline
It's a great concept but doesn't always work as advertised.
>>
>>53617572
Best to layer 802.1x with encryption on it.
>>
>>53617904
If you do it yourself the CAT5e option will be cheaper.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.