[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: arch-linux-black.png (626 KB, 2996x2511) Image search: [Google]
arch-linux-black.png
626 KB, 2996x2511
Why exactly does /g/ not like arch?
>>
Only bare-naked shills spit on glorious ARCH.
>>
systemd
infrequent breakage
obnoxious user base

can't think of anything else

ex arch user
>>
because it's a timesink os and I'd rather spend time on actual work instead of fighting the tool I'm trying to use
>>
the fact that you have to do work to make it go and have some knowledge of it
>>
Fat egghead Archman
>>
>>53612118
>why does /g/
You mean "your only allowed to like what I like" people on /g/.
>>
>>53612173
Obnoxious user base, yes. Systemd isn't awful. Nothing has broken in my year of using it.
>>
>>53612227
I'd get issues every 3 months or so, got to the point where I was too busy in life to deal with it so I switched to manjaro.

systemd isn't bad as far as end users are concerned but philosophically it's problematic as fuck. some blackbox bullshit.
>>
>>53612118
because most of the "powerusers" on /g/ are too fucking stupid to use anything beyond ubuntu
>>
Honestly aside from the fact that it's difficult to use I love the OS.

Whenever I look up a problem there will be a solution on the arch forums. Package repos are beautiful too.
>>
>>53612118
Never used it. Looks overly complicated (and binary, yuck). I use gentoo instead. Much less stressful from what I know
>>
>>53612264
you know manjaro is arch based, right?
>>
>>53612118
I used Arch for 3 years, it's really a good distro, but it can become a fucking timesink when we talk about productivity.
>>
>>53612118
For the same reason foxes don't like grapes.
>>
>>53612433
yes. also more stable.
>>
>Pulse Audio
>>
>>53612661
completely optional, not bundled by default
>>
>>53612650
mmmmmmyeah ok.
>>
>>53612433
Manjaro bills itself as user-friendly, stable arch
It succeeds
>>
>>53612118
In 2008 pacman was a real fucking bitch and constantly overwrote configs on updating packages. This is where all of the "MOM PACMAN BROKE MY CONFIGS AGAIN" meme comes from. Prior to 2009, ATI drivers were such absolute horseshit that updating them caused everything to break. It got so bad that arch maintainers actually had to drop the official ones from the repos because they were that bad. This is where they "MOM PACMAN BROKE X AGAIN" meme comes from. Couple that with shitposters penchant to just absolutely go bat shit autism about people complaining about arch and you have a perfect recipe for hatred.

In truth almost none of these problems exist anymore. Arch works OOTB on most major hardware that isn't cutting edge, and pacman doesn't mess with config files anymore.
>>
>>53612712
systemd.
>>
Because it's a distro that has successfully convince it's userbase they're technically competent and expert Linux users for being able to follow a step by step guide on how to set up a distro with less flexibility than Ubuntu.

Anyone that disagrees needs to read https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>53612745
fails short on security side still
>>
>>53612782
If you have edited a config file, pacman will generate a .pacnew file in the same directory, and leave it for the user to merge in the updates.
>>
I ran Arch from the beginning of 2013 until November 2015. Currently on openSUSE.

The community can be quite elitist for no apparent reason, they act like other distros do not have their struggles. However, speaking of struggles I swear I spent at least 5 hours a month fixing broken shit on Arch on my supposed "flawless" setup. Got sick of it. I can literally fix my problems on suse in 5 minutes using yast (go ahead call me a fanboi).
>>
>>53612801
>less flexibility than Ubuntu
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>53612898
>The community can be quite elitist for no apparent reason

Of course they can, they genuinely believe they are expert Linux admins for achieving the goal of making a partition and running a chroot script.
>>
>>53612798
Then why did I have to install the package then you fucking nigger?
>>
>>53612921
>What do you mean by that?
Debian, and by extension Ubuntu are considerably more flexible than Arch. Take for instance the postfix package. On Debian, it's split into multiple packages containing different, optional modules. Arch just has one monolithic postfix package.

Debian not only allows you to install an alternative init system, it actively supports it. Arch just says "fuck you, either use what we give you or pray to whatever deity you believe in that your alternative doesn't break on any given update."

Arch lacks the ability to change the system interpreters for tools such as Python (/usr/bin/python symlink) without having said change overwritten on every update. Debian not only has a utility to easily switch between versions, but due to it's packaging policy it also guarantees anything using /usr/bin/python directly will work regardless of what the symlink points to.

That's just the tip of the iceberg in regards to how inflexible Arch is.
>>
>>53612943
Please, shut up, this board is not representative of Arch's community, stop being this assblasted over a good OS
>>
File: linux starter kit.jpg (119 KB, 1024x273) Image search: [Google]
linux starter kit.jpg
119 KB, 1024x273
>>53612118
>linux
>not even once
>>
>>53613053
>linux_starter_kit
>picture of basic outfit
are you implying that you can't use these tools ?
>>
it's painful to configure (network) printers, it's painful to configure mobile broadband, it's painful to set up office suite so it has spell check and thesaurus.

Generally speaking - where every (normal) distro just werks ™ - Arch don't. It will catch you off guard at some point, most likely when you invested quite a bit of time to set it up and think that your setup is well done and robust

I do understand that's the arch way but simple mechanism to install "modules/set of applications" like "all you need for printing" should be in place to compiment standard pacman routine.
>>
>>53612173
what do you use now?
>>
I will say my power usage idle with arch is about 6 Watts, was like 10 on buntu. That's about the only thing keeping me on arch (using tlp btw)
>>
>>53612661
WHY
I don't understand the Pulseaudio meme. Explain please.

I use Arch without Systemd, (runit, got mdev working), but with Pulseaudio.
>>
>>53612888
lmao
>>
>>53612173
systemd is fine, jesus fucking christ get over your "le unix philosophy".
But arch is shit.
>>
>>53612494
But if the fox genuinely doesn't like grapes why are you laughing at the poor fox?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.