[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /g/ red pill me on Fedora. I am sick of Arch and want to switch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: fedora-logo-100528469-large[1].png (61 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo-100528469-large[1].png
61 KB, 580x388
Ok /g/ red pill me on Fedora. I am sick of Arch and want to switch my distro.
The name is pretty retarded but I heard it just werks out of the box and the Logo doesn't look like a fat guy with a mountain on his back
>>
>>53609208
also how is the Cinnamon Spin? Are there any differences to the standard Gnome Fedora Core? I use and like Cinnamon on Arch.

oh and inb4 install gentoo
>>
>>53609208
use debian instead
>>
>>53609660
b-but muh bleeding edge

I had Debian Stable before i fell for the arch meme
>>
I've been using it, pretty sleek, for the most part everything just works with no fuss. DNF is also nice, I prefer it to apt now.
>>
>>53609208
Install Debian and learn the true inner workings of Linux. It's objectively better.
>>
>>53609208
It has a small repo but the software is up to date and the community is small but good. You will have a hard time finding support
>>
Commercial backing from Red Hat and giants like Intel and IBM
Polished
Latest and greatest but not bleeding edge (other than rawhide branch)
Ancestor to RHEL so you know what you're doing on the job
Many paid developers
Mature and responsible community
Not Ubuntu or Debian
Multiple editions: Workstation, server and cloud image
I could go on
>>
>>53609794
Install Gentoo and learn Gentoo
Install Arch and learn Arch
See where this is going?
>>
>>53609940
>Fedora Server
wtf, I thought that was Centos
>>
It just werks, it's good
>>
>>53610009
They have an actual server edition now. It's pretty badass with Cockpit and Docker too.
>>
File: 1453270692069.png (137 KB, 466x492) Image search: [Google]
1453270692069.png
137 KB, 466x492
>I don't like a certain distro because somebody on the internet made fun of me for using it
>Also the logo isn't nice
>>
>>53609331
Holy shit you are literally me

I always use my distributions with cinnamon, used to use arch for quite some time as well. One morning I woke up, turned on my PC, and the network randomly stopped working. Got fed up with the minimalism meme and decided to test Fedora Cinnamon

Alright, first of all, the Cinnamon spin is fucking excellent. It's not some half-assed spin like so many other shitty distros, it actually works and is well integrated. The core is (as far as I can tell) the same and uses the exact same repos and packages

Once you install Fedora Cinnamon you install a tool called fedy and. using that, install Arc, Numix, Codecs, as well as the best font rendering ever seen by human eyes within a few seconds.

In recent releases they have slowed down the bleeding edgyness in favor of stability for system services (not for userland applications though, that's still almost always the newest version).

Major new system-features are introduced in actual releases instead of the bleeding edge rolling release arch way

Not being a rolling release doesn't really matter though, because fedup (the release upgrade tool) is fucking excellent and upgrades your version to the next major release flawlessly
>>
>>53609995
>See where this is going?
Yes,but Debian isn't half-assed like the two you listed.
>>
>>53609208
What's wrong with Arch?
>>
>>53609940
>Commercial backing from Red Hat and giants like Intel and IBM
Yet they don't even have the open source ati drivers in their main or nonfree repos
>Polished
its cutting edge. packages break all the time
>Latest and greatest but not bleeding edge (other than rawhide branch
>Many paid developers
sure but they care about redhat a lot more and redhat primarily sells support
>Mature and responsible community
also small outside of redhat itself
>Not Ubuntu or Debian
Implying that's a good thing
>Multiple editions: Workstation, server and cloud image
Nobody uses fedora on server when support ends in a year. Never heard of anyone using cloud image either.
>I could go on
please do
>>
>>53610053
yeah the network problems on arch are sometime annoying as fuck

Can't connect to the Wireless in my University because Arch doesn't prompt for a password on PEAP WPA2 but it works at home and at different friends houses
>>
It's meh. I used Arch, switched to Fedora, and didn't really care for it so went back to Arch.
>>
>>53610149
Yeah, that WPA2 Enterprise bullshit at university is annoying as shit. Have you tried connecting with the Gnome Control Center + NetworkManager? That actually works for me at school, and then I log out of Gnome and use whatever other DE.
>>
>>53610116
except for the excellent Wiki it sometimes breaks (at least for me) and I have to reconfigure everything again so it's more work to actually use it than to just do whatever you normally do on your laptop also while the install is pretty easy I kinda prefer the spoon feed method from 'modern' installers from other distros
>>
>>53610210
will try that tomorrow. thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>53610276
Yeah, you gotta dick around with the security settings in the GUI. (Actually pretty easy but still annoying). Just try connecting, let it fail, then click on the settings icon (that won't appear until after it fails!! Fuck!) And click on security. Then set it to PEAP, and enter your username and password. You should only have to do this once, then it will connect automatically whenever you're in range without prompting for username or password.
>>
>>53610053
>>53610149
>>53610355

You people realize if you don't like how networking is handled then you can just install another network manager and frontend etc right? Thats the beauty of minimalism, is that pretty much anything user facing can be replaced quite simply.

Also, saying you use cinnamon, but you got sick of the "minimalism", makes no goddamn sense.
>>
Fedora is pretty cozy, if I start fistro hopping I always end up back on Fedora, it's more stable than most other distros, yet a lot more up to date. As another user suggested, install and run fedy for some tweaks, it will also install rpmfusion which includes codecs, nvidia drivers, kodi, steam etc. dnf is the best package manager by far and fedup has always worked for upgrading to newer releases for me without breaking anything.
>>
>>53609208
>I am sick of Arch
said nobody that uses arch
>>
>>53611889
Stay mad archfag
>>
>>53611911
try it out. you may like it
>>
>>53611935
I have.
>>
File: 1453251456432.png (519 KB, 1023x708) Image search: [Google]
1453251456432.png
519 KB, 1023x708
>>53610119
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.