[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1452961887563.gif (394 KB, 275x207) Image search: [Google]
1452961887563.gif
394 KB, 275x207
Who here has a comfy /g/ related job?

Hating my current job and looking to switch to something in IT.

Would love to hear about your job, /g/
>>
>>53608804
I sit at home and watch anime and fap all day, its comfy
>>
>>53608877

Sounds alright. What's the pay like?
>>
>>53608804
Programming is pretty comfy. No days over 8 hours, cushy pay and good benefits.
>>
>>53608877
I wanna do that so bad. College was a bad idea.
>>
>>53608956
2 tendies per hour.
>>
>>53608804
>wants the comfy life
>chooses IT

It's mentally exhausting
>>
middleman here, take jobs for 15$ hour and make poo2loo's work 2$/hour lel (if you select the right poo2loo's they'll actually bring acceptable results) and I aint gotta do shit, just use my fake american accent (eastern european here) and natural talent for lying to get the murrican clients
>>
>>53608804
I'm working at a industrial company as IT help desk or sort of, got a few years here so I'm like solving problem to the others help desk, usually spend all the day listening music and reading shit in the Internet.

8hours a day / 5 days in the week / nearly well paided at my country.
>>
>>53609187
Sounds nice
>>
>>53609590
yeah, all I do is skype clients smoke herbs meet up with traps on tinder and jack off play vidya all day, i know one day this gig will crumble but for now I'm good
>>
>>53609720
How much do you make doing that ?
>>
>>53609897
on bad days around 100-150 dollars per day, on medium bout 200-300, i made in 500 in some big web app projects where the poo2loo programmer really wants to impress someone he thinks is an american hirer lol
>>
>>53608804
getting aroung €4000/month after taxes for working from home as a senior software developer. Here the rent of an 100m2 apartment is around €450/month so... livin the life
>>
>>53609962

If you work from home, why don't you go live somewhere more affordable
>>
File: qiDSy7V.jpg (777 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
qiDSy7V.jpg
777 KB, 3264x1840
i do cows.

do tech support some times, and the robots break all the time, so i guess my job is a tiny bit /g/ related.

is comfy. pays well.
>>
>>53609359

OP here, this is what I'm looking for.

What kind of problems do you have to solve throughout the day, any examples?

And how do you get away with browsing the web instead of doing work?
>>
>>53610107
>>>53609359 (You)
>OP here, this is what I'm looking for.
>What kind of problems do you have to solve throughout the day, any examples?
>And how do you get away with browsing the web instead of doing work?
>>53610107

I usually get the troubles that anyone can solve, and I search the Web and use some of my experience dealing with software problems and trying to patch it up, then I wrote a complete email about what I do and if this have a solution or not and send it to my bosses, somedays i need to call the developers of the software or talk with sysadmin about the limitations on the user who has this problem.

In other hand, I think that I has the freedom of browsing the Web because of I am doing the correct work and my bosses didn't bother about it. Just a little because the streaming data on Spotify.

I hope you get that dream job, and sorry for my English, not my first language.
>>
Information security engineer is here. I'm from Russia, so that will be very interesting for everybody.
>>
I started as a UNIX sysadmin, then picked up networking, storage, db, vendor management, budgeting, then managed teams, then went in and out of consulting.

Now I am an employee consultant at a firm and work from home most of the time. Some travel, some face-to-face. Pays very well. I'm a lucky dude for sure, but I have worked pretty hard to get here.
>>
>>53608804
be IT man for not-for-profit, work 14hours/week, no one in the org knows anything about computers so i can almost do whatever I want. 2 years ago I had some lack of motivation and spent 2/3ths of my time surfing web, nobody noticed. Not so much pay though, have to live with housemates
>>
Technical writer here. User guides and white papers. The hardest part is trying to write about things you don't understand. There's also very little demand for the job, but there aren't many people who do it, either.
>>
Just web dev in a small startup. Ambient is relaxed and pay is good, not much to complain.
>>
>>53612135

>tfw you want this one

I have a CS meme degree and a math minor. My English writing and grammar is above average too. How do I into this?

I applied to a few, got one call back about some autists thinking I'd be better for their customer service position. LMAO.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>53608804

Yeah, I do pretty much >>53609359 . It's just like any other tech support gig, only way less workload than if you worked "for the public" and also people can't treat you like shit because the HR will have their asses.

Backoffice 2nd line stuff mostly, so rarely have to take calls. Usually it's shit like AD account management and handling the headache that is Adobe licenses.

>adobe don't do floating licenses
>need to wait 2 weeks for license for every individual user for every ticket
>users can't register the software because the proxy blocks the needed ports
>serverfagmins claim they can't amend the access list because it would be "too much work"
>have to connect computer to guest network before registration
>everyone in the company who uses Adobe are tech illiterate
>switching networks temporarily is too complicated for them
>can't remote because network
>have to either go there physically and help or guide over phone if offsite issue

THat's as bad as it gets though, so still comfy.
>>
>>53613726
I'm always surprised when anyone wants to do this job. Why do you think your CS degree is a meme degree?
Anyway, learn the difference between active and passive voice, learn about subject-verb agreement, and become familiar with the Chicago Manual of Style.
Your best be is to become familiar with DITA. If you get the toolkit and can create your own output, you're golden. Better yet, set up a system that's publicly available so people can see your sweet XML transformations.
Several companies have "information architects" whose job is to maintain an enterprise DITA system.
You might like that better than actual tech writing. The job is boring and stressful at the same time.
After 10 years as a tech writer I went back to school to learn something else. I've spent the past four years learning Linux. I'd like to be a sysadmin or something like that.
Good luck.
>>
Bio-statistics, microarray analysis, writing publications, setting up mathematical models for biological systems. Have to do animal experiments all the time to confirm models. Lots of bureaucracy with ethics

Pay is shit, a lot of pressure to publish. I hate it.
>>
>>53609025

This.

I love problem solving like a fucking nerd so I have no problem working on "work" at home either.
>>
I`m a security guard. You could say I work with videos and video equipment.
>>
>>53609165
Definitely depends on where you work. Finance in NYC? Great pay, but you might go postal after 6 months. "Consulting" for a bunch of local mom and pop shops (aka, fixing their wifi and setting up CrashPlan), meh pay but you exert zero effort.
>>
>>53608804
i do web development. 6 figs, work 3 days a week. comfy af
>>
Went to college for IT. First year we had <80 students. Now we have 20 people graduating. Those professors fuck your shit up. I don't think /g/ would make it.
>>
File: delaval_automatic_cow_brush.jpg (204 KB, 634x750) Image search: [Google]
delaval_automatic_cow_brush.jpg
204 KB, 634x750
>>53610043
I want to help cows!
>>
File: 1456784845577.png (78 KB, 286x267) Image search: [Google]
1456784845577.png
78 KB, 286x267
>tfw getting paid $30/hr to write VB code
I didn't know life could be this comfy
>>
>>53609951
You absolute madman.

Good luck to you and all your endeavors.
>>
File: 1451005854339.gif (3 MB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
1451005854339.gif
3 MB, 600x396
>>53608804
>be lazy overweight ugly neckbeard neet, no degree
>mom yells at me to apply to a job
>I do one application, in 5 months
>get the job
>get paid $21/hr
>put me into a corner in the building
>watch anime and movies streamed from my Plex server all day
>spend 15minutes a day plugging in some keyboard for some idiot
>go back to comfy room
>close door, jack off to hentai and continue 'working'
>TFW my insatiable cravings for cheap Chinese shit getting worse and I just bought a memeanical keyboard even though I have one.
>get complements for being such a tech savy individual in the building.
>too bad its only a 8 month contract.
>TFW local government is super comfy
>TFW in a few months I'll be back where I started
>>
>>53616222
nice trips
>>
>>53615274
>VB code
>CURRENT YEAR

disgusting
>>
c# .net developer in a chill company, flexi-time too, money isnt great but i still make more than the vast majority of other 21 year olds in this town.

pretty easy job, but still challenging enough to be interesting.

lucked my way into the job i always wanted since i was 11 with no higher education or experience, cant complain.
>>
>>53616383
T-thank u too.

I didn't see it until now
>>
>>53610043
Milk or meat?
>>
>>53614866
>"Consulting" for a bunch of local mom and pop shops (aka, fixing their wifi and setting up CrashPlan), meh pay but you exert zero effort.
That sounds like a nightmare. There are some massive cunts out there.

I work at a big box electronics store support department, and these mom and pop stores sometimes come in and demand we do work that their usual IT guys really should be doing. They'll yell at you for not being able to read their minds, that you should've setup outlook against their business email on the new computer they bought, and they'll never give you a working password so you can configure outlook for them.

They'll ask you to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. They'll ensure you that they have backups at home. They'll still yell at you when they come home and they find out wiping their malware riddled drive also removed their email contacts and their selfies.

Loads of foreigners that suddenly don't know your language when you explain warranty, water damage, and paying the fees set by the technicians.

Been dealing with these abusive cunts for nearly a year now. Need a different job, but instead I just sit around thinking about ending it all. Fuck it.

Only way to have a comfortable job is to have one with no human interaction at all.
>>
>>53609165
This.
>>
i get like 60€ most weeks doing anything IT related 20€/h
im lucky i dont have to pay rent
>>
File: tea.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tea.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
>>53608877
I'm doing that but my parents are kicking me out next year. Was fun while it lasted.

Oh well. I hope they're ready for the cosigner debt for telling a deadbeat he has to go to college.
>>
>>53608804
Every place is different, but Programming is best /g/ related job...

Theres IT work , but i feel like thats too much mind numbing down time that i couldn't handle... also it's disgustingly thankless.. it's one of those jobs where "Nobody knows what i do until i don't do it" is real and worse because when the shit hits the fan, everything is tagged on you "Why did this happen? What do we pay you for? Why'd it take so long to fix"

>fugouttahere.jpg

Anyway back to programing:

I work 8 hours a day. Although maybe cause i'm low on the totem pole but the minute i'm home i don't have to ever worry about work until the next day. my responsibilities end at 5 and it's fucking great.

We have a small enough dev team to have camaraderie.. and everyone is approachable and of varying skill levels that i'm friends with everyone and learning all sorts of new things and archetectures and such.

Also the company i work for is a SaaS company, and i patch issues, so that it always feels good like what i did was not just rewarding cause solving a puzzle, but rewarding cause X amount of clients now have this feature or can finally do thing again because of my work.

Also the pay is pretty fire, for an intern $13/hr is great given my jew way of life

>>53612135
While i can see the disadvantage to not knowing what you're writing about, it's also a great advantage because you can write it as you understand it as when you understand the subject matter, it's easy to assume others do
>>
>>53615205

I think I would have made it. I am suprisingly resourceful. It really helps to picture the absolute worst result. This is a great motivator, most people are the 'don't worry so much types."
>>
Salaryman here. Work about 45 hours a week, for 45k a year. Kinda hate it tho retail. Should have gone back to school. 24 btw
>>
>>53616561
Literally why he makes 30/hr

the older and shittier the code and language... the more money

Thats why governments and big corps contract retired mainframe programmers to update and maintain their Cobol and fortran code that runs their company
>>
>>53614738
>I've spent the last four years learning Linux
...kinda slow, no? Like wtf m8
>>
File: 1451231985563.jpg (105 KB, 1098x986) Image search: [Google]
1451231985563.jpg
105 KB, 1098x986
>>53617582
I make 40/hr on Java crap and I'm super underpaid. $30/hr is a pittance... How poor are you guys? Where do you live?
>>
File: pepe depressed.jpg (22 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
pepe depressed.jpg
22 KB, 306x306
I work in a help desk, the 2nd shift. Second and third shifts in service desks are usually pretty comfy guys.

I truly knew my job was low status shit when my coworker was training me on taking calls for when techs call in to update tickets and report downtimes. He told me, "yeah he used to work here, you actually can get out of here."

That was about a week ago, I went home and cried that night. Especially knowing people like >>53616222 can get a better IT job than me, even if it is only temporary. Still good on you sir, you must be really smart.
>>
70 hours a week in Network/ Infrastucture Support for £16,500 a year.

Getting shafted but I get free kit when we stop using it and I take some of our servers home including racks once we upgrade.
>>
>>53617669
learn how to fake that you can program and just apply to some shit man. If you can actually develop stuff you're better than 90% of employed developers
>>
>>53617696
Me

>>53617669
I call you and moan about outages that aren't long enough to apply patches, even when we have HP consultants on site
>>
I work as a software developer. $60,000/year. I get free meals from 9 AM to 6 PM Monday to Friday as long as the receipt says it's in between that time. Gym is subsidized (not free unfortunately).

The company was purchased by a bigger company last year, and thankfully they haven't shut us down. The day after we got purchased the new company flew a bunch of reps down to our office and asked us what 2015/2016 phone and laptop we wanted to use for work. Everyone said 15" maxed out rMBP and the latest iPhone. They gave em to us by the end of the week.

My friends went through the exact same thing. Bigger company buys their company, they get latest and greatest devices, then WHAM! Phone calls at 3 AM to their work phone telling them to come into the office. Shit hits the fan on Christmas break, and you have to come into the office because of some shit or something. They said it happened pretty quickly -- within the first month they began to feel the pressure. But at my company, it's been 8 months and it's still pretty enjoyable at work. Then again, it probably has a lot to do with the industry -- we're in the mobile app market, nothing really too volatile here unless we're doing a release on a weekend (which we rarely do).
>>
>>53617641
we dont fucking know, you're puzzled why we're so broke

we're puzzled why people go "many i make so much, how come you guys don't!?"

nothing against you anon, just see it so often. maybe it's just luck, connections?
>>
>>53617696
You're fucking joking me right? That's like less than minimum wage you fucking mega cuck. What the hell is going on in this thread? What the fuck is wrong with you people? I know you're fucking aspies but holy shit man
>>
>>53617728

>I call you and moan about outages that aren't long enough to apply patches, even when we have HP consultants on site

yeah and I can tell when people like you call in. That's why my ticketing system is all of a sudden not working. We do remember your names you know?
>>
alright, soon to be collegefag here, why is CS a garbage degree and what should I take instead for a comfy /g/ job
>>
Does anyone have any tips for me? I only have html and css course from codecademy done. Is there anything I can do to get any kind of work? What should i be aiming for? I live in the tristate area. I'm willing to make a portfolio or learn more stuff, but i need anything, even minimum wage, right away.
>>
File: clinton cs degree.png (46 KB, 604x287) Image search: [Google]
clinton cs degree.png
46 KB, 604x287
>>53617826
>>
>>53617784
they hired me as an apprentice but the role got scrapped and they kept me on, I leave in 8 months but they want to extend my contract further but there has been no mention of payment upgrade, I will decline but it's honestly the best experience and I do enjoy working, the cash is very shit but I survive.

>>53617822
Not my fault I have some HP engineer fuccboi breathing down my neck asking for another three hours to apply his shitfix.exe
I just want you to give me the go ahead on a planner so I don't end up with the servers coming out of maintenance mode and all of my team getting texts and emails about the shitstorm you could have avoided.
>>
>>53617847
I've taken a Javascript class, I know basic stuff. Just don't know HTML too well or what languages to learn for a job.
>>
>>53617847
>It's 2016
Will this meme ever end? Fuck
>>
>>53611621
This is true. If you're help desk for somewhere decent it can be a great(if you can live off the pay) gig. My second job was tech support for a law firm though and that was fucking AWFUL.
>>
>>53617890
>CURRENT YEAR
>>
>>53617863

just be nice people really do remember names, like "oh look john is calling in, he's always in a bad mood." Man I really need to get the fuck out of help desk asap. I'm missing out on so many better things I could be doing instead of resetting fucking passwords and escalating tickets and the occasional windows/application troubleshooting. The worst thing is I know I am capable of more. I work with some people (baby boomers) who can't even fucking properly adjust the resolution and monitor settings on their fucking computers. I wish they would fire those people and bring in younger people who need those fucking jobs. Instead of being wasted on people who don't belong anywhere near an IT help desk.
>>
>>53617912
Yes, also I wish the ebin 4chin versions would die.
Congrats on your (You).
I am not triggered.
>>
>>53617943
>current year
>not liking CURRENT MEMES
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CUUUUUUUUREEEEEEENNNNNNNTTTT YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR
>>
>>53617922
hey man don't worry too much, it's shit now and I would know... I worked in your role, I just begged other departments to shadow them, later I handed my resignation in and they said "Where do you want to go?" and I told them exactly what I wanted and they trialled me on a new site in a team that was 3 people but should have been 6, I wasn't experienced enough but those guys carried me and I'm thankful for it because now I work in a full team on a different site, but I know what I;m doing.

It's rare people stay in your role for long without being promoted inside the company, I did it for 3 years, longest I heard of someone in that spot was for 6 but the guy fucking enjoyed it.
>>
hey /g/, I recently got this really cool bundle for like 10$ on stackskills that is supposedly worth like 1250$ It has Angular JS, Python, Ruby, a basic HTML course and basic CSS course, Linux, Git, and AWS. What should I learn in what order? Specifically for a /g/ related job?
>>
I make 200k to live in a piece of shit apartment in Silicon Valley, wake up at noon and do about 30 hours of work in a week in which I'm salaried for 40.

It's pretty comfy. Low stress.
>>
>>53617530
you are a piece of shit
>>53617840
why wait, just put some ads about computer repairs or whatever
anyone with basic knowledge can help old people that are scared of technology
i replaced a hard drive for some old lady laptop the other day and she gave me 20€ extra just because
just avoid wierdos and repairing the computer in front of the client
>>
>>53617992

the guy who was training me on stuff was on year nine, woman behind me on year seven, another woman who is a superior on year ten. It is nice to see other people who actually did get out and are working better jobs. I doubt my manager would be up for me shadowing other dept. I'm coming up a year, they said I could apply within the company, and I very well intend on doing so.
>>
How i can get a job /g/ related? Im currently working at laundry washing fucking shirts and im fucking sick of this job.
>>
>>53608804
lets just hope it dosnt go as badly as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9duxzL8Dfw
>>
Kinda/sorta
I'm a Social Media Market Manager.
I make 45k/yr. I came from Target where I was making 60k/yr but that was a 50-70hr a week random shifts/weekends exhausting job and now I'm a nice 8-5 monday through friday comfy office job so the pay cut was well worth it.
>>
3rd shift service desk. I do maybe 1 hour of actual work and the rest of the night is browsing the web and playing video games.
>>
File: 1457898366423.jpg (81 KB, 670x720) Image search: [Google]
1457898366423.jpg
81 KB, 670x720
Graphic design and website mockups for a Web Development firm. Pays pretty well, and I can pick and choose what projects I'm involved in. The office is pretty comfy, we have a roundtable discussion/feedback circle every week and we're all pretty friendly.
>>
Accepted a full-time software engineering job at a large company. First job, 90k a year. I did an internship with them though. It's a lot of programming, and you have no privacy, but you get to work from home twice a week, so I get to just be comfy at my desk.
>>
>>53609025
Yep, until the bubble bust and everybody is fired. It's only a matter of time.
>>
>>53618010
thats a lot of stuff!
just try a few and stick to the one you enjoy the most
>>53618159
what bubble
>>
>>53609897
you're seriously believing that pathological liar?
>>
>>53618034
Thank you anon, I will try that. Do you put ads on craigslist, or some kind of pinboard in a store? I can definitely do some basic computer repair.
>>
>>53608804
Lol
>>
>>53618114

I worked 2nd shift at one, third shift were always cool, chill AF, and they got paid more of course
>>
Web developer in the midwest in a relatively small town, $35k plus full benefits.

>kill yaself
I know I know but there's literally nothing else out here computer related besides mindless grunt work at mom and pop computer shops reinstalling windows for whiny old people who keep getting the same virus.

Job has some very chill and cool people, and they pay for getting certifications. Living and car insurance prices out here are rock bottom. Not trying to stroke my own ego but read lots of people saying that if you make $70k or so a year out here you're basically a millionaire in terms of the kinds of houses you can get and I fully agree.
>>
>>53608804
Hahahahaha, one of my favorite gifs.
>>
>>53618188
3rd shift wreaks havoc on my mind. But it truly is the chillest time of day. At my 3rdshift job we basically shoot the shit and joke around the entire time, everybody is really cool. Driving to and from work is ZERO traffic, it's the bees fucking knees. But like I said, just something about my mind and body not functioning like it used to, a sign of age? the job? time of day? maybe all three?

The comfiness definitely reduces stress, but I would like to wake up at a normal time.
>>
>>53618189
Have you considered moving? Are you not interested in leaving? Explain.
>>
I got two job offers this week. Don't know which one to go for. One is at an IT startup that does some programming but mostly performance analysis. Seems comfy the few people who work there collect pinball machines so there are like 20 around the "office". Dudes seem chill anti corporate bullshit types. 55,000 per year (midwest)

Other job is at a more established but still small (12 employees). Probably will do more programming but it has a hipster vibe, everyone uses macs, open office bull shit. It does seem more stable and pays 60,000 with better benefits (free lunch, nice office, health/dental/life insurance)

Probably going to take the startup but I am still a bit torn. Anyone have any advice?
>>
>>53608804
>Working at a supermarket drains all my time and energy
>no energy to program
>really want to
My life is a pit of broiling misery.
>>
>>53618189
I'm >>53618274
Move to minneapolis if you are in the midwest there are a stupid amount of jobs here that pay well.
>>
>>53618180
i do both but most people that call me from seeing the ad at a store or in the street because they dont know how to properly use the internet (cavemen)
just remember to do what the client asks, dont work your ass off on stuff he didn't want in the first place because he just wont see value on it
>>
>>53618034
I am sorry for being a piece of shit, I have been paying and my parents are tired of me. But I won't give up. I will keep trying to make more money. It's just that I am a shit human being, no passion or motivation. I don't even care about the anime anymore.
>>
>>53618274
I'd take the second one despite the open office bullshit.
>>
>>53618274
Are there no health/dental/life benefits at the first option? Sounds comfier to me from your descriptions. But then I just hate hipster business, they're retarded in my experience.

Holy fuck I had to solve like 19 captchas. Am I a robot?
>>
>>53618274

I've only worked in places with open offices, it's not that bad
>>
>>53618365

better than working with fucking baby boomers, they're the fucking worst. You can't relate to them on almost any level. At least with hipsters you can meet hipster girls and maybe fuck them.
>>
/g/, if you knew what I do, you would hate me.

I'm sorry for what I'm doing, I want you to know it wasn't my intention to be the bad guy, I thought if I took the position I could stop others more corrupt than I from abusing it.

Now I've been given the orders to use the system for exactly what I had feared. We started a few days ago... not much longer now.

I'm sorry.
>>
>>53618365
Yeah I forgot to say that there is health and dental benefits at the first option. Although they pay like 85% and I pay the rest.
>>
>>53618326
thats the problem with sitting on your own ass for so long, you lose so much motivation
good luck dude, hope you see the light at the end of the tunnel
>>53618431
wow thats so mysterious dude, let me call Scooby and the crew
>>
I work with a team of like 10 mid 20s early 30s white males and have 3 white male manager a bit older but still really cool. We all have nice chairs, work with out shoes off, and the lights stay off in the office. If i could vape at my desk id say its perfect. I never asked but im not going to
>>
>>53618469
what is this
>>
>>53618431
you are a bad person.

you should feel bad.

feel bad about yourself, bad person.
>>
>>53617582

doesn't make it less disgusting desu
>>
>>53617641
Programming? What sorta stuff do you make? Is Java easy to learn?
>>
>>53618517
He got very high and convinced his friends to act like they are some kind of office
>>
Software devs, how did you get your foot in the door? Portfolio? A CS degree and a winsome smile?
>>
>>53618431
what if this is that guy that used to run 4chan but got that job at google

what if in a few days, we will have to log in with google+ in order to use 4chan
>>
>>53618603
all of the above
>>
>>53618566
It's just a web application for some faggot company, we maintain it and add new shit.
It's absolutely brain-dead work and honestly most of the time I'm in the office I'm not working.
I think Java is easy as fuck, but it was also my very first language and what I learned most of my concepts in.

I think what's more important is if your brain thinks sort of "programmatically". The languages are the easy part, they're just a set of tools for expressing the solution you have in your head
>>
>>53618603
>winsome smile
If you can make it through a phone interview without mouth breathing or revealing that you are UTTERLY incompetent even at the most basic CS/programming or social aspects, then you will easily be hired out of college if you have a CS degree if you out forth any effort whatsoever. There are tons of companies that literally just hire groups of warm bodies to provide to clients. This is especially available to graduates through various special "new grad" hire initiatives that many companies have.

Questions? More details? Lmk
>>
>>53618159
butthurt failure of a person detected.
>>
>pharmacist
College and professional school were hell, but shits cash now.
>>
>>53618905
>pharmacy
>/g/ related
>>
>>53618274
>so there are like 20 around the "office".
That's a huge red flag, anytime a company has beer on tap or games or ping pong, that usually means they want you to work there a lot more than 40 hours a week.
>>
>>53618708
I don't really know the right questions to ask, but I'll ask some anyway.

What sort of companies? Where did you get started?

If I have certain more specific fields that I want to develop/design for, is that a bit of a long shot?

I'm personally really interested in the currently-about-to-boom field of virtual reality, and I'd consider myself passionate about it, but I feel like most of those companies wouldn't take on a totally inexperienced junior dev without a very good reason.
>>
>>53618469

my manager is a black woman in her forties, she gets mad when I browse "non work sites" in between calls. I do a good job, fuck her.
>>
>>53619026
do you have a CS degree? your university should have some sort of jobs board where companies list jobs they want students to fill. they'll specificly be looking for people like you so it's not hard to find a job
as far as
>muh niche desire
you're not likely to get the exact job position you want unless you have a superb resume and are willing to wait for that position to open up somewhere. other people can disagree but i just say take what jobs you're handed.
>>
>>53619156
I'm in the process of getting a CS degree.

I'm not looking for an exact position so much as looking to work in a certain field of software.

I mean, with my inevitable financial circumstances, I won't have much of a choice in terms of whether or not to take what I can get, but I want to minimize my chances of being stuck working on something I don't enjoy working on.
>>
>>53619026
In my experience, and I know the same thing has happened for literally over 50 people that I personally know or one of my close friends know, the easiest places to get in are going to be software consulting firms. This means you work for some random ass company, and then they say "okay go to [city] and work for [company] on [projects]". Technically they could move you from client to client, but that costs them and he clients time and money, so they avoid it at all costs if they can. In circumstances where you might normally be fired, instead you would be " benched" and then sent to work for another client. Of course you can always refuse and resign.

As far as specific fields, like VR, definitely at least TRY to find positions in that area or neighborhood. If you don't find anything or don't get hired for anything, its no problem except that you spent maybe a few hours applyig and interviewing (generally). If it pans out, awesome. A lot of times niche companies like this and startups want to hire junior devs so they can "groom" them (and because they're cheap), so it's not unlikely that you might find some stuff. Being geographically flexible will help immensely. On the other hand, I do think it's hard to get really stuck in a technology. For instance I've been doing .NET full stack dev for a few years, and I just now got a job that is predominately Java based. I've literally never had to show a line of code from a "portfolio piece". Just because you don't have work experience with a language or something doesn't mean you don't know it. If you know it, tell them you do, and then they will try to get you to show them that you do, so do that.

What I mean to say is: don't be afraid to just take what you can get when you're starting. Get a little experience, and apply to something unrelated if it interests you more. You won't be at a disadvantage if you are actually competent.
>>
>>53618030
How the fuck are you in a shitty apartment? 200k is at least middle class in the valley.
>>
>>53619216
He means by choice so he has lots of spending money leftover
>>
>>53619203
personally i didn't have much time in school for specialization but you can just pick your classes towards the general direction you want to go and you'll be fine.
>>
>>53618582
thank you for this comment
>>
>>53619216

>200k
>middle class

holy shit why would anyone want to live in such a place?
>>
>>53610043
>robots
>cows
Is this Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>>
What kind of skills or certs do you need for these "IT" jobs?
>>
>>53608804
I'm starting college, focused on programming. I earn about 500$ a month from making exploits to MMOs.
>>
File: 1325821544884.png (192 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1325821544884.png
192 KB, 409x409
~$80k a year sec and risk consulting

Its pretty comfy, mostly dealing w/ high level sec policy work, SIEM tools, risk analysis, etc
>>
>>53619566
Which mmos?
>>
>>53619592
Roblox, mainly. But I used to do some stuff for Runescape before the recent update, now it's almost impossible
>>
>>53619576
How did you get into it?
>>
>23

wanting to become a competent MEAN stack dev

but actually a weak incompetent pleb

fucking life...
>>
>>53608804
I have a comfy job as a Sysadmin but it varies by company. You'll have to start out in helldesk. You'll quickly hate it.
>>
>>53621426
>You'll have to start out in helldesk
I see this being said a lot but for long in that position are we talking here?
>>
>>53621656
Usually a year at minimum.
>>
File: Medusa_by_IrishAnon.png (175 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
Medusa_by_IrishAnon.png
175 KB, 1131x707
>>53617224
i fix computers for local drugdealers who trade heroin and crack for them, 50 dollars a pop per computer and its a few a week. its pretty comfy
>>
>>53617224
Yeah definitely have to back this post up on the idea that casual mom and pop computer work is by no means easy pay. You'll think you're having fun for a few months but it's basically impossible to help residential clients who keep making the same mistake because they flip shit spouting you're trying to scam them. Businesses either don't care to receive the same help over and over again or eventually learn what they're doing wrong but individuals are fucking losers who upon a reformat not two hours later are at home and take it straight back to clicking on yellow ads on google and getting the same virus screaming at them to put in their credit card. Doesn't matter how you try to word it, you can be like "Some people click on those ads, I hope you don't", they do NOT listen, you are wasting your fucking life at a job like this.
>>
>>53618469
Is this...my job? Chicago?
>>
I'm the only web developer at a small (10-12 people) company in Europe. I'm 23 and a college drop-out without a degree. I took IT classes when I was 17-18, went to college for 19-20-21 and have now been at this job since 22. I know my shit so I knew I was employable but I'm a terrible student. The pay is garbage ($16.8k/year) but like I said, dropout without a degree.

I maintain and expand the tools they use to keep track of sales, clients, commissions, etc.. The codebase is PHP (CodeIgniter) with a MySQL database. I have the freedom to introduce and implement new stuff like Angular, AJAX, Node, etc..

I've been here for a year and I've written scripts to automate almost everything I do. I can execute updates in <2 minutes while management thinks I need 1-2 hours. This gives me a lot of free time. I'm planning to stay here for a few more months/years so I can put 2-3 years of work experience on my resume to make up for my drop-out. Pretty comfy overall desu.

Oh and I also live 5 minutes from the office, that was a big plus to this job.
>>
>>53617224
>Only way to have a comfortable job is to have one with no human interaction at all.

Pretty much, man.

Someone tell me about what it's like to work remotely.
>>
Any office job us comfy anon
No matter what job it is you'll become proficient in it and you'll finish all the work you had for the week on a Monday in 3-4 hours
>>
>>53617696
Where the fuck do you work for that? Some barren Shetland island or some shit? I started on £16k at 35 hours a week as an office monkey like 10 years ago. Don't care how aspie you are, just shape up for an hour at an interview and get another job. Your job makes me sad anon :(
>>
>>53617608
You're never done learning about Linux. There's always some new command or use case or software package or something.
>>
sysadmin is my dream job. It has to be one of the most stress free, comfiest, high paying jobs there is.
What certs will I need to land one?
>>
>>53626001
>someone breaks something in the system
>you are expected to fix it at that very moment
Yeah, fun times...
>>
>>53619532
For a position as a IT helldesk monkey?
None.
but to get one of the better paying "comfy"positions
>A + certification
>programming certifications
>CCSP
>CCNP
>CISM
>>
>>53626029
Yeah but how often does that actually happen? Not often I would assume
>>
Sysadmin at a big law firm in downtown

get paid 80k a year to run automated scripts on the servers and remotely fix trivial Windows problem. Half of the time I'm just browsing the web on my laptop.
>>
>repair technician at Office Depot
>charge customers $170 for a virus wipe, they always buy because they're morons
>sit at my bench drinking coffee while pajeet cleans it via remote
>occasionally point someone to some item
>store manager lax as fuck, but our store is still top in district

Pretty comfy
>>
>>53624854
Well no shit, but you're never really done learning about anything are you? Why hunker down on something so basic for four years
>>
>>53608804
Working at a primary school as teacher for german, math and PE. Want to start a Computer course, soon. It's comfy, because I can work wearing a track suit or similar comfy clothes erry day and can decide between walking, standing or sitting while doing my job.
>>
Network engineering is a comfy job
>>
>>53626195
>Office Depot
enjoying that minimum wage?
>>
>>53626637
retail jobs aren't bad. i get paid $13 working electronics for walmart
>>
File: 1457406227059.jpg (143 KB, 807x1013) Image search: [Google]
1457406227059.jpg
143 KB, 807x1013
>>53608804
hikki neet here.

>work on open source projects.
>apply to jobs with no callbacks.
>refine my puer tea hobby.
>post in /g/ neet threads daily.
>let some anons 'help' me setup a linkedin page. nothing noticeably changed.
i'm turning 27 next month.
>>
>Work as Graphic Designer and Developer for tech startup
>Lots of creative freedom
>Great pay
>Tools paid for by the company
>Enough downtime to shitpost on /g/
>>
File: 1455286067665.jpg (178 KB, 1018x1440) Image search: [Google]
1455286067665.jpg
178 KB, 1018x1440
I don't do /g/ related work.

>walmart
>10.50/hr
>overnight modules (moving shelving and shit)

Very braindead sometimes, very mentally exhausting sometimes.

Hey /g/, I want to get a /g/ related job. Willing to learn anything, within reason. Do I learn C, Python, Java? What?
>>
>>53610041
its less than 1/9th of the wage
>>
I work as a network engineer(title doesn't really matter) basically I work for a company that buys, sells, amd manages hotels. Normally its 8 hour days, but there are times when I am working up to 12+ hours a day. Its a fulfilling job for me, and I learn alot. Been doing IT for about 5 years now.
>>
>>53610107
No man trust me, you don't wanna be at a help desk all day. If you're gonna do "IT" you have to keep learning otherwise you will be in the same spot for years until they find someone who has more up to date knowledge to replace you. Help desk is temporary. It gets your foot in the door to do something like networking or network security. If you want to get into IT thats good, but you have to realize thats its a job that you need to always be on top of the newest knowledge and never stop learning. Otherwise you will hate it, and never get paid enough.
>>
>>53626814
Python is a good place to start but learning C/C++ can help you learn pretty much any other language.
>>
Currently going for my master degree in computer science and have a bachelors in CIT/Networking. I work in the technology department at a community college doing tech support and teaching some classes about programming. I hate the people I teach, they are fucktards but some of them know what they are doing.
>>
>>53626814
You know (not directed only at you, but relevant to you), I think this is a mistake that a lot of people make. They ask "what language should I learn?" Well, the truth is that you should learn to PROGRAM. You should learn the underlying principles such. You should learn CS concepts and about software design and development, patterns and such. The thing is, you sort of need a language to do this with/in. If you're going to go through the process with the end goal of getting a "/g/ related job," e.g. software dev, then I think you should pick a very marketable language to get some experience and comfort with. In my opinion your two best bets in regards to something like that will either be C# or Java. There are many more of these opportunities than there are for things like Python and objective C. Also, learning web stuff like html(5), javascript, css, blah blah, will help (and often be necessary to) make you a desirable job candidate.

If you understand all the underlying stuff, the languages and frameworks become completely irrelevant. It's like if someone asks you to draw a map from your house to Walmart. Well, that's easy as fuck. But then they say, "Oh, here's a set of lines/symbols you can use to draw the map. You can't use anything but these things and combinations of these things." Well that's your programming language, in a sense. It's still easy, you just have to work within some set of operations to build what you want. Moving from one language/framework/technology is as easy as just learning a new set of lines/symbols for map-making. Don't pigeonhole yourself into one language, it's very easy to learn new things if you get the basics that all these computer things share.
>>
>>53626637
I'm a manager
>>
>>53617224
>>53622640

Yeah this, the only low-level (i.e comfy, effortless shit like installations and plugging in cables for people and shit) are with IT departments of larger companies. Sure, you'll meet cunts there too, but they're more rare and if they are cunty to you the HR reps will chew them out for you (they won't be fired, of course, but this still keeps most people in line when dealing with you).
>>
Pretty comfy job as desktop support/networks in the london branch of a fairly big company. Only 10/15 people bother to come in each day the pays good and it's in central London. Can't complain
>>
>work in a .NET shop
>repeatedly bash Microsoft every chance I get
>I literally have a vicious hatred for Microsoft that cannot be sated until they declare bankruptcy and get dissolved
>Always wanted to switch to an open source language/platform but too much shitty ass .NET experience
>All my coworkers hate me
I regret nothing
>>
>>53616962
milk
>>53619462
milking robots are more common than one would think
>>
File: 1451245961007.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451245961007.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>53628684
hello brother
>>
>$70,000/year new graduate
>software eng
>comfy place
>very nice people
>literally no boss around, everybody are like friends for 40 years
>no strict hours, just get the task done in a reasonable time

really /comfy/
>>
>>53626585
I'm not. I just meant that four years ago, I started to learn linux. This year I enrolled in for credit classes. I've also spent time learning SQL, vmware products, windows admin, etc.
You make it sound like all I've done for four years is learn to Linux. I simply see my education as an ongoing process, and I gave some brief examples of that.
>>
>>53617774
How does it feel knowing that your job will be taken by a javascript developer
>>
>>53608804
Am I the only pentester on /g/? 160k work, roughly 50k uncategorised
>>
>>53608804
>junior dev
>working with dead tech
>on an ERP that was mostly written before I was born
>endless job
>no deadlines
>nobody looking over my shoulder
>salary is okay-ish

meh, could be worse
>>
>>53611949
"Some face to face" is not consulting, that's contracting.

>>53614866
"""""Consulting"""""

>>53608804
Systems performance consultant. My job consists of coming into clients (typically banks and insurers and brokerages) and finding out how shit they configuration and operational "efficiency" is, then fixing and tuning that because IT fags can't do shit right apparently. Then Indians go and break it again.
>>
>>53628816
Are the cows happy or at least content where your work at?

They look adorable :3
>>
>>53609951
Yeah you're going to get fucked big time for ignoring the SoW for a project and get fucking spit roasted by someone's lawyer, just saying.
>>
>>53614738
>architect
>maintain
Um wat?

Also if you have any knowledge of UNIX why would you be a sysadmin? Sysadmin is about as cucky as it gets
>>
>>53629001
>job taken by a javascript developer
I'm not sure what you're even suggesting. Companies move to python or ruby or something in those realms instead of js. I mean, node.js is getting headway, but its still a cluster fuck in production.

That being said, the software industry is overflowing with jobs right now, at least here.
>>
>>53618728
Agreed! Programming bubble? Haven't you looked around, everything that powers our lives today has some connection to programming!
>>
File: 1454632792697.jpg (42 KB, 544x486) Image search: [Google]
1454632792697.jpg
42 KB, 544x486
>>53629226
>at least here
important part. try living in canada. it's MS or another industry.
>>
>>53628208
Actually good advice
>>
>>53617826
It's not about the degree, it's about you. Degree is just a tick in a box. As long as you have one that's vaguely relevant, it's much more important to have skills, and be likeable. No one will hire you if they don't like talking to you.
>>
Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP0OLMTOYAo
>>
I have a job doing backend web development in python+django on macs

It's pretty comfy, but the disadvantage of devving in a framework, especially of such a scale, is that it does a lot of things for you, making it harder to reason about a few bugs here and there. To be fair, most of the issues is bad coding on my team's side
>>
>>53611756
>very interesting to everybody
>no responses
>>
>>53629330
Been meaning to get into something like this. What languages do you need to know aside from python+django?
>>
~30k a year doing system administration in the USA, counting all the unpaid overtime

>Why don't you get a different job
I am technically a citizen of no country. My parents came from Yugoslavia shortly after I was born and never declared me. I have neither a driver's license or a SSN.
What comfy jobs can you get without a SSN? (few)
>>
>>53629484
It helps to know the basics of html

CSS not so much, since front end devs will work on that, but when programming templates, you may have a little involvement in the html structure

Then it's probably company-dependent, but you will need to know some javascript framework. Our company used to use angularjs, but they think it's shit, so now we use nodejs and knockoutjs, neither of which are replacements, but are useful js frameworks

Additionally, some knowledge working with mysql/nosql/postgresql.

If you want to progress into other deps, knowledge of nginx/amazon web services/apache helps
>>
File: 1280957787950.png (4 KB, 376x270) Image search: [Google]
1280957787950.png
4 KB, 376x270
>>53629280
Fukken this.
>>
>>53629484
Are you retarded????
>>
>be 19 years old
>be smart
>local software startup hires me part time for god knows why
>write code, build resume, and fuck bitches

>ffw 2 years to today
>startup tanked but doesn't matter because resume is cash
>work from home Android developer now
>$40/hr with a raise soon
>work is fun/challenging and coworkers are chill
>comfy apartment in metro area
>1 year left in CS degree

comfort is reaching maximum level
>>
>>53629280
>>53629623
Possible for you to relocate? Come down to Minnesota, it is basically Canada and there are jobs everywhere. Nothing cool like the west coast but no SJW bullshit either. Plus we love Canadians, they are the only ones that seem to "get" us and not feel the need to do that awful Fargo impersonation
>>
>>53629280
What? You must not be living in Vancouver. There's a million small companies here.
>>
>>53629675
I feel you. Starting early is the only way to do it
>>
>>53629615
Makes sense. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1448117938755.jpg (207 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1448117938755.jpg
207 KB, 500x484
>>53629636
I know you are but what am I?
>>
>>53629484
Doesn't matter that much you nog, im being interviewed for a django python job with barely any experience in either.

I've got a degree and a large github repo though.
>>
File: 1440235912837.png (131 KB, 555x378) Image search: [Google]
1440235912837.png
131 KB, 555x378
>>53629690
how do i get out of this shithole? do i have to be sponsored or do i wander around in the US on my dime while i apply for jobs? i've been rotting in this area getting no replies for 2 years even though i have 5 years experience sitting in my room writing and reading 80% of every day.

i've been looking at seasonal fishing as a possible occupation alternative because this industry seems to reject me.
>>
>>53608804
i look after hurds of voip phones and also the servers and network running hosted pbxes and callcenter software

it's not terribly exciting tech all the time but i'm getting good linux and networking fundamentals.

they are paying for any tech certs i want so im working on a few, and then each time i get new ones its taken into account at pay review time.

should work out but im hoping to take a break soon i have not had a week off in years and years (my own choice, just tired now)
>>
>>53629781
I'm the guy the guy who replied to you replied to

I only have experience in python, and no degree. My github portfolio is pretty decent

Portfolio > everything else
>>
>>53629781
Well that's good to know but my degree is a double major in Chemistry and Psychology so I am literally teaching myself everything from scratch so I feel massively underconfident applying to dev jobs.
>>
>>53615274
Enjoy your dead language.
>>
>>53629991
Doesn't really matter as long as you commit (pun intended) yourself. I know a girl with an Art History degree, she looked at her job prospects and went "fuck this". So she studied and wrote code like a madman and now she's working in big data as a full time dev.
>>
>>53629815
>wander around in the US on my dime
christ, are you that stupid?
Just fucking apply to jobs literally anywhere on a few job boards. In a couple weeks time you should have 100 faggot recruiters calling you and asking you to interview for x,y, and z, in addition to whatever you have going for the actual applications you submitted.
You can get plenty of jobs in tech (especially low level ones) without ever doing a face-to-face interview. It will often be over the phone and maybe a skype interview. If a company wants to interview you, they will NEVER expect you to fund your own travel to interview with them. If they do, then you should IMMEDIATELY drop that shit 'cause that is a MASSIVE red flag.
>>
sysadmin/anything networking related
>>
>>53630252
"studied and wrote code like a madman"
>Basically my life atm.

This gives me hope.
>>
>>53608804
get a job as a sw engineer at a giant faceless corp.
Write your ~100 lines of code a week. Spend the rest of the time shitposting. No job is more comfy.
>>
>>53630491
I read that as sjw engineer

I was thinking you go on twitter and stir up trouble about trivial matters
>>
>>53615205
Damn, from <80 to <80!
>>
>>53628208
>>53629283
Seconding the good advice.
source: 1st year sw engineer
>>
£35K London
PHP and AngularJS
Want to die most days from the depressing repetitive tasks.
>>
>>53615205
how

I'm in information systems management and this is some of the easiest stuff
>>
>>53630521
SJW Engineer. I engineer triggers and share them with other SJWs so they know when to be triggered.
>>
I work at a video game company in Silicon Valley.

It's a place where as long as we get our work done, they don't really care what we do. We get stipends to buy video games (for inspiration!), we can play video games if we need to take a break, food, other benefits, etc. We rented out a theater for BvS this Friday.

This is the best job I've ever had, and I do not regret at all taking a pretty hefty paycut to work here. My work satisfaction has gone up a hundred fold.

Oh, uh, I'm a systems engineer. I do a lot of scripting and data center work.
>>
File: 1458667449217.png (196 KB, 689x481) Image search: [Google]
1458667449217.png
196 KB, 689x481
>>53629310
Pretty much.
You could be the smartest son of a bitch alive, but be the biggest douchebag to ever walk the earth and you wont get hired. People skills are almost as important as the computer skills they expect you to have at a company. I am glad my Networking Technologies professor told me this. Being a cool dude and getting along with everyone in the office is the best way to build the path to success.
Connections are important too, but those usually happen on their own if you are just a tad sociable. Just speak to people in class, apply to jobs in campus, see if you have any relatives in the IT business and also make sure to get along with your professors. If you are then they will make sure that you are the first to know about scholarships/jobs. Seriously, professors are like a Victorinox knife. They don't just teach, they can do a lot of other cool shit too.
Actually, I am meeting with my Trig professor next Monday, he's going to help me with choosing a university to transfer after I get the last class I need for my AA.
Also, don't stress yourself out. Take it easy but work hard.
Pic unrelated.
>>
52k as a entry level software QA tester for a medical records company. 2 hours max of legit work. They don't care if we smoke and they take us drinking once a week.
>>
>>53618030
I fuckin envy you, anon. If only I were born in the US I'd crawl into the valley even if I couldn't walk. It is literally the center of /tech/ world. Every road leads to Rome.
>>
>>53619057
Aint that a bitch?
>Work at the Cont. Ed office in campus while taking classes
>Office literally dead
>Watch jewtube vids and buy shit on ebay while there's fuck all to do
>everyone in the office gets an email about avoiding non work sites
What am I going to do? stare at the school's website for 4 hours?
>>
>>53615205
Even if I am not the smartest when it comes to PCs, I think I could have done it. I hate giving up. Even if the professors are assholes and the class is hard as nails, I'll pull through because the thought of dropping a class makes me sick. Its basically wasted time and I don't have time for that shit.
I bet that a good chunk of those kids were "le geek gaymers xd". Shit, I like videogames and to procrastinate, but I get shit done.
>>
I'm a computer science tutor at my university. I get paid $12 an hour, 10 hours a week to be in the lab. I usually get two or three people coming in per day who need help with a really simple C++ probablem. It doesn't take much time. I spend most of my time browsing 4chan and doing homework. Best job I've had so far.
>>
>>53629533
How did you manage to get a legal job without SSN? Arent you afraid that you will be caught?
>>
File: 1436888238027.png (14 KB, 364x322) Image search: [Google]
1436888238027.png
14 KB, 364x322
>wanting a NEEToccupation

it's like you have no aspirations beyond escapism and painful mediocrity.
>>
>>53633768
>working hard for no reason/to fuel corporate greed
>>
File: 1442986512555.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1442986512555.png
211 KB, 327x316
>>53634053
>i have no ambitions beyond lower middle class tier employment
>>
>>53617641
>$30/hr is a pittance
you what mate
that's a pretty senior tier salary, like comfortably upper middle class with kids level
>>
>>53634158
you're the only one in this thread with your shit(posting) opinions, fuck off back to /v/, nobody wants to help you build/fix your gaymen pc or play OS/console wars
>>
>>53617774
>apple reject app store submission on a saturday morning and it's a hotfix
I mean it was my fault but ehh
>>
I drive Tractor Trailers is this comfy?

Only needs 6 month course
>>
File: 1 cartoon21.jpg (302 KB, 923x1600) Image search: [Google]
1 cartoon21.jpg
302 KB, 923x1600
>>53613726
>minor
Why would you do this to yourself ?
>>
>>53608804
Software development is comfy as fuck if you work hard at it.
I'm at $110k after 2-3 years of hard work and experience.
>>
>>53629244
>>53618728
not op, but there's definitely an abundance of programmers in quite a few places (and multiplying quickly) vs available jobs.

i work in silicon valley so there's an infinite demand for them here, but i've interviewed a few people who had to relocate since they couldn't find work at home.
>>
How'd you get first /g/ job?
I have no experience and only an associate degree. No certifications either. No references
>>
>>53634437

Only took one extra course to do it the way my program was mapped out.

But, I do try and subject myself to hardships in hopes that I become stronger after. (It's not working, I'm still a pussy)
>>
>>53608804
Jack of all trades IT contractor here. Been doing it straight out of high school and never looked back. No college either, most of the stuff I know was learned on the field. Most contracts I get require zero brain effort.

>Pull pounds of cable
>Set up server racks
>Sometimes setup stores at malls
>Point out shit if the current guys ain't getting results and sometimes get the contract turned over to my crew
>Rarely have to put a team bigger than 4 so I get a big slice of the pie
>Toughest part of the job is sending my crew home after we finish up all available contracts for the year
>My personal budget builds up so fast I only work 3 to 4 months

I'm 24 and I report 1099 forms instead of a 401k.
>>
>>53635171
What interpersonal skills help you out with this business?
>>
>>53617582
54/h for literal spaghetti php
I literally wouldn't be able to do my job without var_dump(debug_backtrace()), the previous dev thought it would be a good idea to roll his own framework and start from scratch. 8 years later here I am.
>>
>>53634280
>I what mate
Literally I made better than this out of college as my first job in one if the lowest cost-of-living areas in the US.

It's pretty ass.
>>
>>53634873
Just get a bachelor's and then you get a job without trying. You're halfway there.
>>
>>53635370
What's cool about being a contractor is that you can keep most forms of communication on a casual level. Also, just be able to socialize enough to have fun.
>>
>>53633116
>How did you manage to get a legal job without SSN?
I found someone who was willing to pay under the table. I would rather not specify how they are able to do so, or to what extent the government is aware of my status.

>Arent you afraid that you will be caught?
What are they going to do?
Deport me to Yugoslavia?

From what I have read, being identified as being "stateless" is a bitch in the US, but since I do not even know my own ethnicity, its not like they can throw me anywhere in Balkans, especially since I speak none of the languages.
>>
>>53636233
>It's pretty ass.

I get paid $7.50 at one job and $7.82 at another.
You don't get paid ass.
>>
>>53636961
Maybe its time to get a grown up job then? I also made > $30 an hour fresh out of school in a lost cost region in the US.
>>
>>53636961
This is quite literally only your own fault.
There are plenty of employment opportunities that pay vastly more than minimum wage that require no experience or training. Furthermore, there are plenty of trade jobs that you can get into where you will make assloads of money and receive on-the-job training.
>>
File: 28WEORY.jpg (995 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
28WEORY.jpg
995 KB, 3264x1840
>>53629177
oh yea, they happy.
>>
>>53637036
>Maybe its time to get a grown up job then?
One is a night shift security guard, which is worth minimum wage, and the other is a county archival job, for which I am underpaid but I have been told they only perform archival maintenance of records because they can find cheap work. I actually used to work at Dairy Queen, but it shut down, and my hourly wage actually declined as a result.

>>53637103
>There are plenty of employment opportunities that pay vastly more than minimum wage that require no experience or training.

I am open to suggestions. I tried an electrician apprenticeship, but I never ranked high enough on the testing to get into a union, and after nearly killing myself a few times as a helper I was barred from local contractors. Being legally blind doesn't help matters much.
>>
>>53637282
Sorry that you're legally blind homie, I can only imagine how difficult that must be. I have pretty shit eyesight but it's correctable with lenses. I know if I had to live without my glasses I'd be struggling.
But just a few simple examples of stuff I used to do include working at a dog daycare facility, working at a vet or humane society as a kennel "tech" (clean shit). Both of these started upwards of $9 in an area where the minimum wage is $7.25. So that's a better start isn't it? Plus you get to work with pups, maybe you like them. I was going to suggest electrician or linesmanship, perhaps even construction, but perhaps not due to your eyes. It can be dangerous work.

Look in your local area on a couple job boards and see what you can find. Can't hurt.

Best of luck, anon. I gotta get to sleep here, but I'll be around tomorrow, assuming the thread is still up.
>>
I work as a goddamn warehouse worker.

At least this shit is temporary and I'm out of here within a year and the pay is good.
>>
>>53637282
Hey, >>53637397 here.
Meant to mention that a bunch of my friends work moving packages at a FedEx warehouse (or some kind of shit like that. not a storefront, you know what i mean) and they all have sick benefits and started at $12-something/hr.
So, there's options. Just a matter of finding them.

Again, good luck to you.
>>
>>53608804
I work as an intern software developer, and it's cozy as fuck. $18 an hour, and as long as I get my work done, I'm left to my own devices most of the time.
>>
>>53615274
>tfw get paid 57.50/hr to write ruby and manage AWS

comfier
>>
>>53637521
This guy has it going.
About how many years experience do you have? Just curious.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.