[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is AWS so fucking confusing? they have dozens of products
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: amazon_web_services.jpg (37 KB, 782x382) Image search: [Google]
amazon_web_services.jpg
37 KB, 782x382
why is AWS so fucking confusing? they have dozens of products with obscure names and and meme descriptions, wtf.
i've been developing for literally years and i'm confused as fuck just looking at their offerings.
how do i into AWS? i just want a machine to run an app on, a relational database (or maybe nosql), and a file bucket. what do i need?
>>
>>53607387
I feel you, It is even hard to figure out how much you will be paying for the services...
>>
>>53607429
yeah that shit is crazy.
is there really any reason beyond price to choose AWS/GCP over PaaS providers like heroku?
>>
>>53607578
I think I will go with OVH or DigitalOcean, because I already know them and they are easy to use.
>>
>>53607626
never heard of OVH, but i think DO's offering is pretty limited. you'll basically still need amazon or other services for keeping files and databases
>>
>>53607777
I posted a thread about VPSs yesterday, someone recommended https://www.ovh.com/us/

It is cheap, I did not use it yet, but I might.

Can't we just purchase an extra droplet/node and put a database server on it?
>>
>>53607387
>i've been developing for literally years
Wow. Years, really?
>>
>>53608238
you can, but then you also have to handle all the crap like scaling, security, etc, plus it would probably not be cost-effective because their droplets are meant for running web servers (very little storage space for example).

>>53608273
kek, meant to write 20 years
>>
>>53608927
Amazon have a trial period (sort of, don't know the name they use). Should be able to try out most of the things.
>>
File: 1458251779627.jpg (23 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1458251779627.jpg
23 KB, 295x378
>>53607387
>bgp routing to their cloud
>>
AWS isn't for NEETs living in their parent's business. It's for businesses that actually know what they are doing.
>>
You won't use half of their stuff.

EC2, S3 and RDS is all you'l ever need for most stuff, maybe Elasticache.
>>
>>53609280
But I am a developer working for a small business, what should I do, onii-chan?
>>
>>53609360
sit on onii-chan's lap and he will teach you :3
>>
Someone who already using their services: How much money do you need for a few VPS and a database? (Comparing to DO's service, 512M and 1G droplets)
>>
>>53607626
>>53607777
>>53608238
OVH shill here, been a customer for about two years, is a good provider
>>
>>53607429
That's because part of Amazon's model is to make money from people who accidentally big overages, especially on Cloudfront.

AWS is nice, although if I were doing something mission critical, I'd have DR in place on some other company's infrastructure, since Amazon seems to have a massive fuckup every few months. I might even use Cedexis Openmix to load balance between AWS and Azure for that reason.

Anyway, OP, you need an EC2 instance (size it as small as possible), a S3 bucket, a RDS instance, and Elastic Beanstalk for deployment.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.