[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any /g/entooman modded his gpu fan? Been thinking about replacing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: FW37winh.jpg (95 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
FW37winh.jpg
95 KB, 1024x681
Any /g/entooman modded his gpu fan?
Been thinking about replacing my gtx760 fans with 92mm ones, for scientific research of course, but I was wondering how it will handle the case fans' (surprising) lower power draw.
The 760 uses 2 pwm fans rated at 0.35A, when case fans are rated around half of that (0.15-0.2A). What I can't find out is, in the graphics card's specific case, power delivery is adapted for the fan (theoretically 0.1A at 50%, 0.2 at 100%, and so on), or if it's hard locked for the original fan requirements.
>>
Holy shit neo /g/ is the dumbest
>>
>>53606096

No worries anon, since you are not providing an explanation, I'll assume you are also a dumbfuck that doesn't know the answer.
>>
>>53606160
>>>/sqt/
not your personal tech support senpai :∆)
>>
>>53606075
I did the same thing with an old GTX 260 because I didn't like the high pitch whine. Connected two 92mm PWM fans to the GPU's fan connectors with an adapter bought on ebay. Then I controlled the fan speed with MSI Afterburner. Now I get reduced temperature + low noise. But it's just a fun project since a GTX260 is worth nothing nowadays.
>>
>>53606205
>>53606075
To add on, the only delivers the amount of power the fan needs. As long as your fans doesn't exceed the max amperage of the original fans, it should be okay.
>>
>>53606205

Good to know. You say you used afterburner to set the fan speed, I'm assuming they were not performing as expected (higher speed than its specs maybe?), or was just personal preference?
>>
>>53606283
The original fans max out at really high RPM, I assume 4000rpm or more, so the GPU's default setting is to set it at 30% at room temperature. However, the new fans I use max out at 2200rpm so 30% of that drops it to the hundreds range. So I raised the idle speed to 50% and also set a linear fan curve.
>>
>>53606259

Oh I see, so just as any other current delivery system then, not hard locked. If I got it right, a pwm signal at, say, 50%, will set any kind of fan at 50%, regardless of max speed or current (assuming it doesn't exceed the max power delivery)
>>
>>53606338
I think 50% means it will delivershort bursts of max amperage 50% of the time and idle for 50% of the time. I could be wrong but I remember reading this somewhere.

The max amperage and the voltage remains the same.
>>
>>53606338
Found a post that explains what PWM is:
http://www.overclock.net/t/989566/pwm-fans-what-does-it-mean#post_13109939
>>
>>53606392

Yes you're right, that I know aswell. But I wasn't sure the system was the same on gpu's
>>
>>53606453
It probably is so that they can use whatever fans they want.
>>
>>53606469

Exactly, a motherboard for instance has to handle as most fan specs as possible. Gpu's on the other hand theoretically only work with the supplied fans' fixed specs, and it was possible they only had a controller suited for that range. Glad it isn't. Thanks for the explanation anon.
>>
File: 1447259613380.jpg (23 KB, 480x451) Image search: [Google]
1447259613380.jpg
23 KB, 480x451
>>53606075
Just don't forget to drill some speed holes into the PCB if you need to.
>>
>>53606547

Of course I will. Using anything other than zipties is heresy, I need to hold them somewhere.
>>
>>53606075

I did something like that years ago with an old FX5600. Fan died so I just nigger rigged an 80mm case fan in place.

Good enough for its new life as a media centre.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.